“Friendly, clean and quiet”

and 1 more site!
Georphi's Tropical Hideaway
Ranked #12 of 55 Speciality Lodging in Roatan
Reviewed 22 March 2013

I stayed over a week in one of the cabins with shared bathroom and kitchenette. The room was spacious, clean and peaceful. Being in West End there is always some noise but this is for sure one of the most quiet locations. The bathroom and kitchenette were shared with only the neighboring room so there was never waiting. Best part of the cabin was the big terrace with hammocks, chairs and table. The tropical garden surrounding the cabins is beautiful and you can see a lot of animals (iguanas and capybaras for example) while swinging in your hammock.

The owners are friendly and pleasant people who know how to make their guests feel welcome. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank MiiFinland

Reviewed 11 February 2013

I am so pleased with this small paradise! Our plane arrived late and our taxi was still waiting 3 hours later. Checked in with Michele and her mom, Rosalie! Amazing people. Slept very comfortably in my adorable cabin! Awoke this morning to delicious banana pancakes at Rudy's and a tasty pineapple smoothie for lunch! It cannot get better than this. I am here for two weeks with my fiancé'. Oh, pretty much your own private beach right out front! If you read any bad reviews about bed bugs forget it! That is so far from the truth! In fact, you will love this place!

Room Tip: My cabin is a blue one with AC, tv, wifi and more..WOW.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 December 2012 via mobile

We booked at Georphi's for 1 month in November but after 2 nights we had to fly away from this place because we were attacked by bedbugs. The owners, Rosalie and Michelle, didn't want to recognize the problem even though we showed them the bugs and their feces in the bed.
They said that they were dead baby cockroaches and that our bites came from mosquitoes or sand flies! But after we left, and since then (we are still on the island) we never had any other bites like these!! Additionnally, I went to the doctor for another reason but I showed him the bites and a bug I had taken in a plastic bag, and he confirmed me that they were bedbugs.

Rosalie kept 100 dollars from our deposit for the 2 nights and we had to check in in another hotel with all our possibly contaminated clothes and bags!

Additionnally, the room was dirty and we had spent the first day cleaning it with products we bought at the supermarket.

We stayed at Posada Arco Iris which was much more clean and nice, and cost us 35 dollars per night instead of 50 for a much better quality!!

Last but not least, we had to laundry all our clothes and bags high temperature to kill the bugs and it cost us 50 dollars and many clothes and shoes were destroyed by the high temperature...
So we lost a lot of money in this adventure and never had any excuse from Rosalie or Michelle!

The worst is that as they don't recognize the problem they won't treat the room so they risk to contaminate many people and other hotels!!

PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS HORRIBLE PLACE!!!

• Stayed: November 2012
4  Thank Maud112
Michele_Cee, Owner at Georphi's Tropical Hideaway, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2013

I am sorry that you had a bad experience while visiting Georphi's Tropical Hideaway. We strive to meet the needs of all of guests. When you and your partner came to Georphi's your room was not ready and perhaps you don't remember you couldn't enter your room until later on in the afternoon because it was being refreshed. Which is when a clean room is being cleaned again. While you waited for your room to be refreshed you were on your phone outside, down in the front of the property for about 45 minutes to an hour talking on the phone while wearing shorts and no repellent whatsoever. This you even admitted yourself. So when exaxtly did you clean your room with products you bought at the supermarket?  Anyone that has ever been to West End knows that wearing repellent is necessary anytime you are outside. It is unfortunate that you blame your bad judgement on nonexistent bed bugs. We did inspect your room THREE times and never found any bugs. The first time was the afternoon after you reported having an unusual amount of bites, the second time was with you and your partner in the room and the third time was after you left. There were NEVER any bed bugs in that bed and you know this. We take all claims seriously and investigate. Bed bugs are a very serious problem and had we found any we would have addressed it immediately and appropriately. When you left I remember giving you tips on how to protect yourself against mosquitos and sand flies as well as giving you some anti itch medication. It's unfortunate that you felt the need to bash our business when in fact you were your own problem and not us. Perhaps you found another place to rent and didn't know how to get out of the arrangement you had made with us as we can't understand why you would go to such great lengths to discourage future customers. You were going to rent on a monthly basis at a great discount a cabin that usually rents for $60 per night. My mother discounted the 2 nights (only 1 of which you actually slept in the cabin) and you were very understanding. I don't know what changed between November 2nd and December 12th but what you wrote was very hurtful and completely untrue. I took it very personal that you would actually lie about your experience and try to discourage future business after the conversations we had with you. I guess it just goes to show on another level how people will smile to your face then stab you in the back. We are glad that you have been able to take care of yourself and have not had another issue but please you need to admit that what happened to you was because of your own bad decision to not wear repellent.
You need to remove your post of lies and admit that what happened to you was not because of bed bugs.

Reviewed 8 June 2012

I stayed in the cheapest possible accommodation while working toward my open water certification. This place is absolutely wonderful, and quite the value. The folks who run the place are incredibly nice, with a very welcoming, relaxed vibe. The little restaurant is very good as well, although I much preferred the chicken place next door (best and cheapest in the west end). Also, as I left hastily one early morning, I left my phone and a few other belongings. I figured there was no way I'd ever see these things again (I mean, come on, it's Honduras). To my surprise Rosalie made sure my belongings made their way back to me in the states. Amazing. Simply amazing.

Room Tip: They're all nice. They keep the shared restrooms super clean so it really doesn't matter...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed at Georphi's for 11 days after trying a hostel in Sandy Bay (too far away) and a room at Chillies (no bathroom). For only $1 more each we were treated to the lovely 6B in a little cabin up the hill. We shared a TINY kitchen and a nice bathroom with people staying in 6A. It was a big circular cabin divided in half between the two rooms. The owners, Rosalie and Michelle, speak perfect English (I think they are from the US?) and are incredibly helpful.

As we shared a bed this was, in my opinion, the best value in Roatan. We paid $25 a night (so $12.50 each) but were both diving at the affiliated Reef Gliders dive shop which gave us each $10/off per night at Georphi's for every day that we dived. So some days we paid $2.50 each to stay at this place!

The cabin was very clean and the bathroom is a good size. The only problem was that our neighbors often forgot to unlock our bathroom door after they used it (you each have a door to the bathroom and lock the other people's while you are in there). We found out on the last day of our trip that our room key also opens the bathroom!! So that is good to know. There were a lot of nice touches like soap in the bathroom, q-tips, shampoo and conditioner. We tipped the maid $1-2 US (they clean every other day on long stays) and she did a lovely job in our room. The only complaint I would have is that the bathmat gets disgusting with 4 people a day showering on it and a humid environment...it probably needs to be changed daily. Other than that I was really pleased with the room. TWO fans in the room!! And a great little private deck with two hammocks. Super nice!

It is in a great location within walking distance to everything. Close to Fosters and Rudy's restaurant and the infamous rotisserie chicken place are on the same property. If you arrive and you can't find Michelle or Rosalie they are usually in Rudy's. There are parrots, cats and dogs all over the premises so if you aren't a fan this probably isn't a place for you.

We loved Georphi's and thought it was a great value for the price range. Will definitely stay here again when we return to Roatan. When we left, Michelle arranged a taxi for us and got some other guests in it too to cut down on the price for us. Get her to arrange for Oscar's taxi if you can... by far the nicest (and probably the only air-conditioned) cab in West End!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank cellodora
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Great place to stay and save a few dollars. Roatan is super expensive so u can save some money by getting a room with a kitchen. Coffee is great at Rudys. Kat Kat is a cool cat. This place Is a good place to stay but if u r going to spend $50-$60 on a cabin here check lost paradise further down the road for resort quality cabins for only 10-15$ more.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 23 September 2011

I think it's fair to say that staying at Georphi's was the highlight of my trip to Roatán. Georphi's is family-run by Rosalie and her daughter Michelle. They are super friendly, nice and helpful and will go out of their way for you. Which is more than I can say for the rest of my experiences in Honduras!!

Georphi's is a series of wooden cabins and there are two dorms - a 6-bed US$10/night one and a 3-bed US$15/night one. Both are well-screened with fans and have en suite baths with hot water. The 3-bed dorm also has a small kitchen. They are side by side with a shared deck and the cabin is elevated so catches the breeze.

Rosalie and her family have thought of everything here. It's one of the best-appointed hostels I've come across and it's the little things that make all the difference... For example, there's hand soap in the bathroom, a shelf for your toiletries, 3-ply toilet paper and a bathmat. It felt like home :) They have fast wifi too, though you have to be in one of the cabins closest to the office to get a signal, or you can sit in the restaurant. Michelle told me they will soon be putting in a new router at the other end of the property so all the guests have wifi in their rooms. This place is already excellent value on Roatán and that will just be icing on the cake!!

• Stayed: September 2011