“worst rental place in Roatan”

Captain Van's Rentals
Ranked #74 of 190 Outdoor Activities in Roatan
More attraction details
Owner description: We have been in business since 1998. We offer guided & self guided tours and rental transportation for the island of Roatan. We have been in business since 1998, and are proud of our reputation. Please come visit us in the West Bay Mall. We also offer rental deliveries to those staying a far distance from West Bay. Plus our store offers a great selection of wine, liquor, beer and everyday items. Get in touch with us.
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I go to Roatan often on vacation and will never rent anything from this place. First the guy wanted to rent me a scooter. Those things are very dangerous in Roatan. I told him I needed a real bike. He rented me a Honda 200 CC that was a real piece of crap. No tail light, Barely working front brake, Worn out front tire, Busted speedometer and so on. $ 50 U.S. for that piece of work . And then the guy tells you not to go to the very east of the island because you are going to get robbed. He just doesn’t want people taking his bikes on the dirt road.

1  Thank Ed R
CaptainVans, Owner at Captain Van's Rentals, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Hello Ed. Thank you for the feedback.
When you came in to rent from my West End location, we had no motorcycles available at that time to rent; and that is why we suggested a scooter. Scooters are not any more or less dangerous that renting a motorcycle. They can handle any hill on Roatan, are easier to drive, and are our most popular rental.
The next day, when you came back to our business, the Honda XL200 motorcycle was just returned by a client, and you rented it.

I have reviewed your comments about the XL200 issues, with my West End staff. After my investigation today in regards to the XL200 that you rented, we indeed found that the break light does not function when using the front brake lever. This was due to a stuck switch, which we will looked into and repaired. Note:The brake light worked fine when using the rear brake.
The speedometer cable was repaired when a client let us know about the problem earlier this week. We thanked him for his comments.
We test drove the motorcycle today. There is no problem with the front tire on this Enduro, and the front brakes work fine,and are not worn out.

Ed, it is important for us to get feedback from our rental clients. They are our best method of finding out if there are problems or concerns. We ask all our customers to tell us about any problems, when the rentals are returned. We received no comments from you about any problems when you returned the XL200 motorcycle. If you would have notified us during the rental period, we would given you another rental in exchange. That way, we could have addressed any repairs that needed attention. At the very least, you should have let us know when you returned the rental. That would have helped us a lot during this busy season.

Captain Van's has been in businss for 10 years. We pride ourselved on our maintenance.
In this case, we let you down, and I made my staff aware that we need to do more in regards to being proactive in "looking" for possible problems, in between clients renting our vehicles.
In this case, due to it being high season and all the motorcycles often being rented out, we never got the chance to test drive this motorcycle between rentals. We take responsibility for that.

In regards to warning clients about not going to the far East end of Roatan, I have given specific instructions to my staff. They are told to warn our clients in regards to a couple of "holdups" that happened in 2014 on some of the less traveled gravel roads at that end of the island.

Ed, we are only being prudent by warning clients of these events. It may not happen again, but we feel that it is better saying something, than not telling our rental clients. Today, I had a client that wanted to go to the Hole in the Wall in Jonesville on a scooter, and I informed them of the 2 previous robberies. They thanked me for the information. They went to the east end of the island anyways.
This warning is not about us not wanting clients taking our bikes on gravel roads. Far from it. The Honda motorcycles that we rent are Enduros and are meant to be used on any type of road.

I really appreciate your comments, and I hope you will give us another opportunity to get your business in the future.

Thanks,
Murray Russ
Captain Van's Rentals.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We rented a scooter twice from Captain Vans, both times everything was great... They have great scooters, and also rented 3G Internet Modems. Great service at a fair price. I would highly recommend renting a scooter and taking it across the Island it is is a great way to see Roatan. Be warned the roads getting out of West End are pretty rough, but after that if is all fun.

Internet Service is spotty at best, nothing to do with the rental, but the cell service in Roatan.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

People who travel a lot know that tourist ripoffs are often hard to avoid, no matter how much research we do. This is one outfit where you can rest easy. Polite, efficient, and honest.

We were treated very well from our initial communication with Murray until we were dropped off later in the day back at out ship.

If your plans include touring around for a little while on a scooter in Roatan, this is the place.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

I rented a Dodge Caravan from Captain Vans for my one week stay on Roatan. The owner, Murray, responded quickly to my initial inquiry and handled the subsequent confirmation. I also arranged for pick-up from and return to the airport, for a very reasonable fee ($20.00 each way for a party of seven). Upon arrival, we were met by Guillermo who drove us to their West Bay office for processing. A few minutes of paperwork and we were on our way. A few days into our stay, the vehicle began experiencing a minor mechanical problem. I contacted Guillermo who me at the office and exchanged the Caravan for a newer Chrysler, no questions asked. I found the rental rates on their vehicles to be very competitive, and certainly a lot lower than the major rental companies at the airport. I highly recommend Captain Vans and would definitely use them again.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

We rented a motorcycle from Captain Van's for three days from the West End location. We left West End and headed to West Bay, where, unfortunately, the bike we had broke down and wouldn't start (we later found out this was a battery connection problem). Luckily, we were right in front of the West Bay location and they easily and graciously handled the situation and swapped out motorcycles for us.

Then, the next day, after much travelling on rocky dirt roads, we had a flat tire in Camp Bay late in the afternoon. Luckily, we were at Sirena de Camp Bay (also highly recommend this place...beautiful view, friendly people and amazing lionfish ceviche!). The owners of Sirena de Camp Bay and a local B&B helped coordinate getting the tire fixed for us in Oak Ridge. The hastly repaired tire lasted from Camp Bay to Turquoise Bay (where we were staying), but quickly went flat again. So, the next day, our friends in Turquoise Bay at Subway Dive Shop (another recommendation) replaced the inner tube on the tire, solving the problem.

We returned the bike that afternoon to the West End location where Cesar was very helpful, understanding and accomodating. All of the staff were very helpful and responsive and we so appreciated everything they did to accommodate us. We will definitely use Captain Van's again when in Roatan.