“Heaven in Honduras”

Little French Key
Ranked #2 of 80 things to do in Roatan
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Welcome to our Private Island Retreat......Best Moments....Both eco friendly and mystical, this place is built with kindness to the environment and people in mind, Little French Key is where you get back to your essence. Roatan is an uncommon place to rejuvenate physically, mentally and spiritually. .Join us for some of the best moments of your life.....
Reviewed 18 August 2014

After much research and through the great reviews on TripAdvisor, we booked an excursion through the LFK website, and paid a deposit. We were sent instructions on getting there. We met Dave down the road. There was a bus available but we rode down to the dock at Frenchy's 44 with Elvis who was very nice and offered to stop at stores. We paid the balance there and got bracelets and two drink tickets each. The boat ride to the island was quick (5-7 min tops). Upon arrival Edward came up to us immediately and gave us a separate tour of the island and zoo and told us he would take us out snorkeling when we were ready but until then we had unlimited access to the kayaks, paddle boards and could settle in anywhere we wish. We chose the small island with the bar and music. The water between the two islands was calm and a beautiful aqua color. The zoo was great and home to many friendly monkeys, which we got to hold, as well as macaws, tucans, and a lion named Lawrence. The jaguar was sick and unable to come out. The ones we got to hold were, Lisa, the spider monkey and a baby howler monkey that licked the salt off me and wouldn't let me go. I fell in love. A nice young man brought us a couple of plates (included in package). It was the best meal of the whole trip and included lobster, shrimp, chicken, carne asada, rice with beans, salad and diced mix of onions, tomatoes and green peppers that we scooped up with the yuca chips. It was so fresh and tasty. Edward and another guy took us around the island to snorkel for half an hour. We saw lots of tropical fish. We couldn't ride the horses because it wasn't included but the guys let me take a picture on the horse. We were there from 8am-3pm. We were in heaven and sad to leave. It was clean, fun, serene, and the staff was friendly, helpful and really interested in giving us a great experience and making sure we made it to the cruise in time. One recommendation though is to bring water shoes because the sand in the water is not that fine (out of their control) and it hurt my feet a bit.

1  Thank NO_Monix
littlefrenchkey, Owner at Little French Key, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post this great five stars review...it is our dear visiting guests such as yourself that make what we do here in Paradise truly worthwhile....we are very glad that you truly enjoyed your time with us and we look forward to your return visit....G-d Bless....

Management Team at Little French Key and Frenchy's 44

Write a ReviewReviews (2,857)
All reviews
"small zoo"
in 77 reviews
"mini zoo"
in 48 reviews
"little piece of paradise"
in 43 reviews
"included lunch"
in 47 reviews
"jump off"
in 28 reviews
"quick tour"
in 36 reviews

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We found Little French Key island on Tripadvisor, we decided to book directly through Little French Key and not through Carnival. Take my advice and do the same. When you book through LFK themselves, you get to do so much more for the money. My Girlfriend and I plus another couple were the first ones on the island, we even crossed over to the island with the people going to work. The private island was ours for almost 2 hours. There was beautiful snorkeling, food and drinks but what truly set it apart was the Zoo. Lisa was a spider monkey that loves people and fell in love with my GF but if you book through Carnival, you can't hold her. Then I met Romeo, another spider monkey (female named Romeo??) she took a liking and a licking to me. She didn't want to let go of me and honestly I didn't care. This was a very cool experience all the way around. I would visit every year if I could. They truly know how to give you the paradise experience, they won't let you be late getting back to the boat either. We did several excursions on our cruise and all were fun, zip lining and cave tubing and tours, but Little French Key was by far my favorite.

Special thanks to Denrik the Monkey Trainer and Diola our bartender and tour guide of the island.

3  Thank CHukill

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Frenchys 44 is a lovely restaurant looking out to Little French Key & based on visits here I decided to visit Little French Key. It's really stunning very clean & the constant breeze is delightful. However it was badly organised, we wandered around trying to find a kayak only to be sent back to the bar & given a ticket & then we couldn't find anyone to get us a kayak. When we found our own kayak we were moaned at for going near the reef which I understand as we could have hurt ourselves & damaged the reef but we come from Europe & it's not common sense to us. We'd like to have known where to go, likewise lunch there's no menu, no prices & confusion as to who to ask for food. I was told I needed to leave a debit card & set up a tab & when queuing for 15 mins to have my bill hand written I was then told I had to pay at Frenchys 44 restaurant when we got off the boat. So the same people all queued up again. Seemed pretty inefficient. A shame that bad organisation took the edge off what should have been a chilled today in a very pretty location.

5  Thank HummingbirdRoatan

We are very glad that you enjoyed our location, setting and your time with us...Thank you for this review....we do take extra measure and precaution to insure that the reef eco system in front of us, second largest in the world, remains in pristine condition... that is why we ask and urge Kayaks and people to not run over them for their safety and and safety of the reef, this applies even for people from Europe....We are located in Honduras, not Europe and although we strife to be as efficient as possible we are limited as to what we can do here both physically and mentality wise so help us G-d...we will take your comments into consideration to streamline our operations further and make it more user/ European friendly.... G-d Bless

Reviewed 14 August 2014

After reading remarkable reviews about Little French Key, we decided to book a day trip, while on a week long vacation in Roatan. And we couldn't have been more pleased. Grounds were gorgeous and very well kept. Staff was exceptional and accommodating! Amenities were plentiful and all included in the day price of $65USD/pp . Swimming, snorkeling, kayaking, paddle boarding and a visit to the zoo were all awesome! Oh, and cannot forget to mention the lunch included, which was delicious! Would highly recommend.

2  Thank Sean C