“Fairytale wedding on the beach! Vacation of a lifetime!”

The Resort at Palmetto Bay
Ranked #36 of 41 Hotels in Roatan
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Fairytale wedding on the beach! Vacation of a lifetime!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

I am going to review the resort in 2 parts, 1 part for our wedding and 1 for the actual resort.

Wedding: We just got back from staying at Palmetto for 2 weeks. During the first week we had our wedding. With us we brought 45 friends from the US and every single one of them told us it was the best wedding they had ever been to, even our wedding photographer! I will be honest I was a little nervous about planning a destination wedding at such a remote location, but everything turned out great! Merlyn, Eric, Maritza and everyone else involved were so wonderful! We had planned 3 different "events" for our guests including a welcome dinner, rehearsal dinner, and the actual wedding. Each one was so amazing. The welcome dinner included a fantastic buffet dinner on the beach with entertainment from the fire dancers and Garifuna dancers complete with decorations. The rehearsal dinner was a different menu equally delicious, and then the wedding was just beyond anyone's expectations. Every decoration from the centerpieces, the flowers, to the ceremony set up were exactly as I wanted, but better. It was my dream! All of the events went off without a hitch and to top it all off the staff is just amazing! Merlyn and Eric are the heart and soul of this operation and they calmed me and made me feel so special all the while making sure everything happened as it was supposed to. I later found out that our cake had started to collapse because of the extreme heat (not their fault) but they quickly took it away and fixed it and I NEVER knew when they had brought it back out until someone told me later! After the wedding Eric arranged a romantic dinner on the beach for us during our honeymoon and he out did himself with the decorations, a bonfire, and a fantastic meal.

Words just cannot express my gratitude for these wonderful people and their hard work. They worked from sun up until late into the night to make sure that the wedding was perfect, and it was!

Resort: Now I will review the resort. Which is equally fantastic, however you have to know what you are getting yourself into. Palmetto is a perfect location to go relax and get away from the big crowds and tourist areas. Because of that it is about a 25 minute drive to the West End and it will cost you (depending on the transportation and how many people) about $20 per person per trip to go to West End, or West Bay. The beach at Palmetto cannot compare to West Bay and there is sea grass and some rocks etc... Do not come here if you like the sky high tourist-y hotels with a blow up slide in the water, and 5 restaurants to choose from. Do come here if you like to get away from the crowds and want excellent customer service from some of the nicest people you will ever meet!

Knowing that this was how Palmetto was going to be in advance (my husband had been there before) we were not disappointed AT ALL! All of our wedding guests, once they got past the culture shock, loved how private it was. We literally had the entire place to ourselves and the staff learned everyones' names in only a day or two. Merlyn and Eric planned any activities that we wanted such as dolphins, zip lining, snorkeling, etc. and thought about things that we needed before we even did. They were always one step ahead of us. The only thing I really did not like were the sand fleas, which despite fogging and raking the beach still managed to be everywhere. I managed to go the entire week with only a few bites by spraying bug spray (with DEET) every time I went outside so just make sure you follow that rule! Yes its annoying but everywhere has bugs, you just learn to get used to it.

Overall, the place is much less "high tech" than some of the other resorts on the island, and it is far away from the Anthony's Key and West End, however they completely make up for it with the fantastic service, menu, and of course the uncrowded, undisturbed view of the ocean.

Most of our guests told us it was the best vacation they had ever been on, and they all want to come back next year for our 1 year anniversary! We will for sure be back!

Room Tip: There are limited beachfront villas for rent, so figure out if that is important to you. Most are ve...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sarah J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Benton, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband and I traveled to Roatan the last week of Feb. 2014 for our March 1 wedding. We had read the reviews prior to travel.

Getting There:
we received a "welcome letter" approximately a week prior to arrival. This letter confirmed our reservation, and time of arrival, and provided information on navigating the airport, including names of the guy at the airport that helps you with baggage and the driver that takes you to the airport. With these instructions, getting thru the airport including customs was easy.

The driver took us to the grocery on the way to the resort. They have brands that are in the US. We purchased 10 oz. package of ham, pack of cheese slices, 6 buns, 2-4 packs yogurt, 12 pack of diet soda, 1 can pringles which all cost a little over $35.00. We should have purchased coffee but didn't. The grocery also has beer, wine, and hard liquor. Don't be surprised about the armed security.

As some reviewers have reported, yes, you do pass the garbage dump. It has to be somewhere and the island isn't that big. The roads are dirt. Not gravel, not paved, dirt. They get dusty when it is dry and muddy and slick when it is wet. There are potholes and ruts on the dirt road. It is also curvy and hilly.

The driver took our baggage and groceries to our villa while we checked-in.

Check In:
We were met by Melissa (she also goes by Marolyn). What a great first impression we had of the resort. She was so sweet and efficient. Reviewed our bill and room type, showed us the restaurant and bar and introduced us the Gilroy and his very refreshing "welcome drink" which is a delicious rum punch. After the rum punch and getting our wrist bands for "all inclusive" Melissa accompanied us to our villa and gave us a brief overview.

Room:
We were in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath villa. It was clean and comfortable. The bed was comfortable and there were plenty of comfortable pillows. They apparently don't use wash clothes. We used a hand towel in the shower. Our room was cleaned every day. The housekeeper, Esperanza, was wonderful. She does not speak great English, but puts great effort into making your stay comfortable. She let us know the first day that she wanted us to lock the door to our villa when we were not there. She pressed my wedding dress and his shirt. She left flower petals around the sink and on the bed. We had very basic kitchen equipment. We did have a coffee pot and a couple of filters, but like I said earlier we didn't bring any coffee. They delivered us a large jug of water. Use it. We made friends with some people who used the tap water and they got sick. We did have a full size refrigerator in the room. We had air conditioning, but did not use it.

All-Inclusive:
We paid extra $68 per day for meals and drinks included, because we didn't want surprises with cost once we got there. It was worth it for us.

Restaurant, Food and Bar:
The food was great. Breakfast and lunch is a set menu with maybe 10-15 choices. My favorite was the shrimp quesadilla and his was cheeseburger. At dinner there were usually at least 4 entree choices, usually with some type of potatoes or rice and steamed or grilled vegetables. They never ran out of food. They might run out of some choices, especially at dinner if you came in late, but there was always a choice. I had seen reviews that recommended the banana pancakes. I made the mistake of waiting until the last day we were there to try it. Banana pancakes were delicious!

Items of note related to restaurant - restaurant opens at 7:30, roster starts crowing around 4:00. Thus, the need for coffee in your villa. Also, I left my retainers laying on my plate one morning. The morning cook found them for me. Thank you.

Gilroy, the morning and lunch time waiter and bartender, got to know our preferences and would ask if we wanted the usual or wanted to try something different. He was always very helpful and made sure our food came to us just as we wanted it.

In the late afternoon and evening, Eric is the man, the bartender and waiter. Delightful to talk to and ever attentive to customer needs and wants. We never ate dinner in the restaurant area. We ate at the bar, because that is where the fun is with Eric and Maritza. Maritza, the night manager, is top notch on customer service. If Eric is busy assisting other customers, Maritza steps in to make sure each guest has everything they need. Be sure to try Eric's special brew, gifiti.

The restaurant cooked the fish we caught for our dinner (or if we didn't want it, we could give it to someone else).

Wedding:
We planned this private (only bride and groom) wedding via email with Cecilia. The wedding was a package of services for a set price. Cecilia set me a list of items we needed to submit 2 weeks prior to arrival. She also allowed me to be as involved in the details as I wanted to be. We wanted a stress-less wedding, so I expected when we signed up to go here that it was a set plan, "cookie cutter" type wedding like I had seen on large chain resort web sites. Not so. She let me pick color of flowers, type of flowers, flavor of cake, etc. We gave her a little direction, reds/yellows/ oranges, tropical flowers, RUM cake (his choice), and asked her to make it beautiful, which she orchestrated perfectly, even more beautiful than we ever imagined. Tiny details that were so perfect. Cecilia was great to work with on getting the government approval of our paperwork.

The photographer, Devon, did a fabulous job, and he was FUN for people who do not like to have their picture taken.

Things They Didn't Have To Do:
The night of our wedding, Eric really made it special with the "heart of fire" in the sand on the beach followed by a private dinner on the pool deck. Perfect! He was also the witness and held on to the rings until the appropriate time.

Maritza used our video camera and recorded our wedding. Priceless!

Eradine wrote our vows. We told Cecilia that we wanted traditional vows never thinking that maybe what we think of as traditional is not the same for them. The vows were perfect and so special. She also ran lots of errands on our behalf, everything from picking up our cake, to picking up our champagne. Eradine also got us more propane when we ran out so we could have a warm or hot shower. And when we shut the safe door too hard and made the batteries fall out, locking all our money and identification inside, she got it opened and the battery case fixed for us.

Cecilia was very helpful to set up several activities for us, including zipline, car tour of the island and fishing / snorkeling. We had so much fun fishing with Capt. Kief that we went out a second day with him. Each of those activities picked us up at the resort and took us where we needed to go.

Other Helpful Information:
Kayaks STILL leak. Ours sank and we had to drag a water logged kayak off the bottom of the ocean back to the shore. Heavy. Not fun. Thankfully, the water was only knee deep when it sank despite being quite a distance out. While walking down the shore on the same day, we met another couple trying to get the kayak they took out that also sank back to the resort shore.

Somewhere I read that the Garifuna Dancers did a show at the resort with authentic Honduras buffet. That did not happen while we were there. I think that maybe it used to happen but not any longer.

If you are looking for a place away from it all to relax under the palm trees, this is it. If you are looking for a luxury resort with lots of built in activity programs for you or your kids, and somebody to come by and bring you drinks, this is probably not the place for you.

Remember folks you are going to a jungle. There are bugs. Life is not as easy or convenient as you may be used to. Go with that in mind and a good attitude, and you will be happy.

Thank you Melissa, Gilroy, Eradine, Maritza, Eric, Esperanza, Cecilia, and Capt. Kief. Our wedding and honeymoon were perfect because of you.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sheila_n_Scott2014
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

We stayed 10 nights at Palmetto Bay Plantation in early April. Our Beachfront Hibiscus house was located in a gorgeous spot, back one lot from the ocean, both peaceful and secluded, and sited among trees filled with bird songs. This 3-bedroom/2 bath was attractive architecturally and decorated nicely. Good meals were served at the main building. Staff from all areas were welcoming. Management problems have been spoken of on Trip Advisor, and coincidentally just now internal reorganization has occurred. Despite noted past slippage, staff in new roles are alert and responding promptly and appropriately with corrections. I am expecting ratings to rise as a result. Marilyn, in particular, is now well placed administratively to interface with guests, being warm, gracious in manner and determined to address needs for future ongoing success. We enjoyed our time at Palmetto Bay.

A personal negative for me there was my own susceptibility to no-see-um bites. A positive, that we rented a car made it possible for us to experience much of Roatan Island, including several snorkeling locations.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank daktraveler K
kitchener
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

Just a few weeks ago we celebrated our amazing wedding day at Palmetto Bay Plantation in Roatan, Honduras. One of the reasons we chose Roatan for our destination wedding was because of Palmetto Bay, and its amazing event planner Cecilia, both of which came highly recommended. We didn't stay at Palmetto Bay, but we loved the idea of our wedding being an 'excursion day' for our 40 guests. I have been an event planner for over 12 years and I knew that it wanted to work with a professional to plan our day, and create a unique and memorable experience for us and all our friends and family.

It started about 6 months before the wedding trip when we sent an email of images and rough ideas of what our 'wedding vision' would be. In the months leading up to our trip Cecilia was quick to respond to emails, so very patient with all my questions and 'type-A' attention to details, and very helpful with the process of getting our Honduras marriage license. When we arrived in Roatan Cecilia spent a whole afternoon taking us through the day. We met with the florist / decorator Maria, our officiant Kent and she event took us over to meet the hair stylist she had recommended so I could have a hair trial. On our way back to the resort we were staying at, Cecilia (and her fantastic friend Ivan who entertained my husband while we girls talked flowers and hair), took some extra time to take us on a quick tour of West End to show us some of their favourite places to eat and go for a drink.
When our wedding day arrived the bridesmaids and I were treated like total VIPs. When we got to the venue it was already being transformed into the beautiful 'wedding vision' we had sent months before. They had brought in the exact paper lanterns and created exactly the centre peices and decorative touches that I had sent months earlier. I'm told at other resort weddings you get a few pre-set centrepeice styles, cakes or decorative packages to chose from. Not at Palmetto Bay. Everything was customized to what we wanted, event down to the tiny pearls in the vases holding the flowers and the details on the cake. Cecila and Maria created a beautiful scene for us to have our day, and the flower bouquets that Maria created for my bridesmaids and I were so perfect. I had so many comments on my gorgeous flowers - and she did a beautiful job working in the little maple leaf pendant I had brought from home (a little peice of Canada with us on our day).
For the bridesmaids and I, we had a gorgeous 3 bedroom villa to use for the day, and after a quick tour of the place we settled in with some champagne and fresh fruit and anything we asked for. Hair & make up was done beautifully by Destiny (from Destiny International Hair Design) and when the moment arrived Cecilia had everything set up and running smoothly. OUr officiant Kent provided a beautiful ceremony that spoke exactly to what Tom and I were looking for. It was laughter and tears and moment we both love looking back on.
It takes a total pro to plan the wedding of an event planner, and Cecilia is nothing but a pro. Everything went smoothly, the food was excellent, the drinks were plentiful and the staff were so friendly and helpful. Our DJ was fantastic and kept the party going all night! There were shuttles running all evening so that guests could head back to our resort when they were ready, and the additional entertainment that Ceclia arranged for us was amazing. The fire show was a highlight of the night and the 'special surprise' they had for us made for some amazing pictures! One of the things we liked about Palmetto Bay was that it was a single package price that included everything we wanted. There was no 'extra charges' or 'hidden fees' - so there was no debating later on if we wanted to add or upgrade something at a cost. It was all included and everything we asked for provided with a smile.
In the weeks since our wedding we have looked back on our day and tried to think of something we would have changed or done differently. There's not a single thing we can think of. I don't know many brides who can say that. I hope someday we can make it back to Roatan and maybe stay at Palmetto Bay for the whole visit. But if we don't - we'll always have the memories of an amazing day that was everything we wanted and more. Thanks Cecila!

2 Thank laurie d
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

We have been diving since 1989, everywhere from all parts of the Caribbean to the South Pacific, the Mediterranean, Mexico, Central America, live-a-boards, and we have never been treated as well as we were by Barefoot Divers in Palmetto Bay Plantation. Matt, Kelvin and Erika were wonderful and as accommodating as any personnel we have experienced. The island itself is delightful, many excellent restaurants, beautiful scenery, great weather. We will go back, but I can no imagine that any dive operation could treat their guests any better, so we will be back with Barefoot. The resort itself is quite nice, and the staff is very good.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

Traveled here with friends on a dive vacation. Would go back and stay here in a heartbeat. However, understand what you are booking. This is not going to be like a Cancun all-inclusive, nor would I have stayed here if it had been. The place bills itself as an eco-resort, and it is. This is not the place where a waitress on the beach is going to bring you a frozen margarita in your beach chair. They have a bar, you can get a margarita, and you can sit in one of their chaise lounges on the beach or by the pool. You just have to physically go to the bar to get it.

PROS: Secluded and private. You are not going to be close to a Senor Frog's or a Carlos and Charlie's, so if that is your goal, this is not the place for you. Villas are really nice, much nicer than expected (we were in hibiscus). Staff is fantastic. Eric, the bartender, was fantastically accommodating. A companion of mine left his iphone in the villa. Cecilia actually drove it to the airport. We didn't even know that we had left it, they called the airline and told them to let us know they were on their way (this is not a small task, it's 40 minutes to the airport). Diving, Barefoot Divers are fantastic. We had a bit of a curveball with basically a tropical storm rolling in and cancelling our diving on the north side, they fixed everything and set us up with their shop on the south side of the island (see that review for detail). Kudos, Erika!

CONS: The place is not easy to get to, in the rainy season, 4WD is a must. You drive past the island dump, but big deal, it's an island and the garbage has to go someplace. We actually ended up seeing much more of the island than we would have because we had to rent the car, so that ended up being a pro. Bugs--it's the tropics, bring some heavy duty bug spray and you're fine. I came home with zero bug bites and only applied spray one night. However, my companions ended up with a few, so be warned, if they find you tasty, bring on the DEET! Drinks are a bit overpriced at the bar, really, that's the only con for me. My solution was to drink more in my villa...problem solved.

It rained just about every day on my trip and it still was one of the best I've ever been on.

Room Tip: Choose a villa near the beach if possible. Air conditioning was not necessary during the rainy seas...
10 Thank Tweetybird69
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

INITIAL THOUGHTS: We have traveled a great deal to various locations levels of accommodations throughout the world. We typically do more self guided trips. We loved our time in roatan and much of that can be credited to the amazing locale and accommodating staff. I would highly recommend it to travels who prefer a more independent getaway and journey.

PROS: Absolutely stunning location. The houses are located right on the beach. Walk out your door to sand on your toes and a tropical forrest around you. They have seamlessly integrated the beach, forrest and surroundings with the apartments. Each house/apartment has plenty of privacy. Each house/bungalow/apartment has great space with full kitchens, spacious bedrooms, multiple bathrooms and incredible deck spaces with spectacular views. There is a dive shop (barefoots divers) right on site with a knowledgeable and friendly staff. The staff at the hotel is very friendly and highly accommodating. The bar/food staff is friendly and fun to be around. The cooks created memorable island style meals. If we any issue at all the staff was quick to help.

CONS: Might want to rent car if you plan on planning on going out around the island a great deal. This may not be a con in the sense we actually prefer having a car so and the "offroading" was a lot of fun on some of the island roads. If you are looking for a nightclub or big party scene this may not be the place for you. There were plenty of friendly guests around but the main hotel/bar area was more of a relaxed feel when we were there. There were still plenty of people around to speak with and party with though. Because you are in a beautiful tropical forest there pest insects around like mosquitoes and biting flies sometimes. Its no worse than the vast majority of the island and with insect repellant its not a big deal but some might find it bothersome. Internet is available at some sites and at the main hotel/bar area but not in every spot. Again this may not be a bad thing for everyone because I see it more as a pro.

CONCLUSION: If you like to "get away" from it all get down to palmetto bay as soon as possible. Travel there was very easy and this spot is simply amazing. The hotel wasn't overcrowded and the staff was great and very friendly. For divers specifically this spot is also a great choice. Bring a group of friends (like we did), your family, or just you and a urge for adventure and you wont be sorry,

Room Tip: Get a beachfront spot if you can. Not all spots are A/C or fully enclosed by windsows. Some are o...
2 Thank john h