I am going to review the resort in 2 parts, 1 part for our wedding and 1 for the actual resort.
Wedding: We just got back from staying at Palmetto for 2 weeks. During the first week we had our wedding. With us we brought 45 friends from the US and every single one of them told us it was the best wedding they had ever been to, even our wedding photographer! I will be honest I was a little nervous about planning a destination wedding at such a remote location, but everything turned out great! Merlyn, Eric, Maritza and everyone else involved were so wonderful! We had planned 3 different "events" for our guests including a welcome dinner, rehearsal dinner, and the actual wedding. Each one was so amazing. The welcome dinner included a fantastic buffet dinner on the beach with entertainment from the fire dancers and Garifuna dancers complete with decorations. The rehearsal dinner was a different menu equally delicious, and then the wedding was just beyond anyone's expectations. Every decoration from the centerpieces, the flowers, to the ceremony set up were exactly as I wanted, but better. It was my dream! All of the events went off without a hitch and to top it all off the staff is just amazing! Merlyn and Eric are the heart and soul of this operation and they calmed me and made me feel so special all the while making sure everything happened as it was supposed to. I later found out that our cake had started to collapse because of the extreme heat (not their fault) but they quickly took it away and fixed it and I NEVER knew when they had brought it back out until someone told me later! After the wedding Eric arranged a romantic dinner on the beach for us during our honeymoon and he out did himself with the decorations, a bonfire, and a fantastic meal.
Words just cannot express my gratitude for these wonderful people and their hard work. They worked from sun up until late into the night to make sure that the wedding was perfect, and it was!
Resort: Now I will review the resort. Which is equally fantastic, however you have to know what you are getting yourself into. Palmetto is a perfect location to go relax and get away from the big crowds and tourist areas. Because of that it is about a 25 minute drive to the West End and it will cost you (depending on the transportation and how many people) about $20 per person per trip to go to West End, or West Bay. The beach at Palmetto cannot compare to West Bay and there is sea grass and some rocks etc... Do not come here if you like the sky high tourist-y hotels with a blow up slide in the water, and 5 restaurants to choose from. Do come here if you like to get away from the crowds and want excellent customer service from some of the nicest people you will ever meet!
Knowing that this was how Palmetto was going to be in advance (my husband had been there before) we were not disappointed AT ALL! All of our wedding guests, once they got past the culture shock, loved how private it was. We literally had the entire place to ourselves and the staff learned everyones' names in only a day or two. Merlyn and Eric planned any activities that we wanted such as dolphins, zip lining, snorkeling, etc. and thought about things that we needed before we even did. They were always one step ahead of us. The only thing I really did not like were the sand fleas, which despite fogging and raking the beach still managed to be everywhere. I managed to go the entire week with only a few bites by spraying bug spray (with DEET) every time I went outside so just make sure you follow that rule! Yes its annoying but everywhere has bugs, you just learn to get used to it.
Overall, the place is much less "high tech" than some of the other resorts on the island, and it is far away from the Anthony's Key and West End, however they completely make up for it with the fantastic service, menu, and of course the uncrowded, undisturbed view of the ocean.
Most of our guests told us it was the best vacation they had ever been on, and they all want to come back next year for our 1 year anniversary! We will for sure be back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Resort at Palmetto Bay is a natural paradise situated on a sparkling bay, surrounded by a coral reef. Pristine beaches friendly faces and rhythm that allow you to appreciate the natural beauty are your constant companions. From our white sand beach, you can walk for miles and not encounter "modern civilization". See why so many people have chosen to make Palmetto Bay Plantation their vacation destination and why seven major television shows have filmed programs at our resort including "Temptation Island" on Fox TV. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Resort at Palmetto Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Palmetto Bay Plantation Roatan
- The Resort At Palmetto Bay Roatan, Honduras - Bay Islands