“Going back in two weeks -- Loved it that much!!!”

The Resort at Palmetto Bay
Ranked #36 of 43 Hotels in Roatan
Reviewed 8 June 2010

My husband and I just got back from Palmetto Bay Plantation on Roatan, and I’m planning to return again in a couple of weeks for a girl’s trip. I love this place!!!
The folks from Palmetto meet you at the airport, offer you the chance to pick up groceries, and then describe the island as you drive to the quiet, gorgeous postcard perfect north shore. Once at Palmetto, you sip on your complimentary rum punch in the reception/bar area while your luggage is delivered to your casita.

THE CASITA: My husband and I stayed in a clean, comfortable, well decorated two bedroom casita. We made our reservations late, the entire property was booked, and so we started out in an un-air conditioned place with a request to be moved, if possible. The house was designed to take advantage of the cool Caribbean breezes. We would have been fine without AC, but we were moved within a couple of days to an equally charming place with AC. The kitchens in both places were spacious and well-equipped. The bathrooms were great with tubs and showers. The great rooms were indeed great – and I knew they would be perfect for a gathering of girls, or perhaps the extended family. The best part was the porch, complete with a hammock, other comfortable furniture and a great view of the Caribbean. The landscaping makes you feel you are in a lush, colorful jungle and must serve as a sound buffer because we never heard noise from neighboring casitas.

THE BEACH: The beach and water are perfection. There is a long pier complete with multiple hammocks and lots of shade. I swam to the reef every day to snorkel – AMAZINGLY healthy, colorful coral and every fish/sea creature you can imagine. Fabulous visibility. Calm water. Underwater heaven. There are several kayaks to take to the reef (It was about a 15 swim for me). You can also take the cat out for a sail or sign up for diving or fishing trips right there at the resort. Walking the wide, white beach was another lovely, daily experience for me. You can walk for miles (just use insect repellant when you pass beyond the resort limits). There are palapas and beach chairs if you prefer to just lie, read and enjoy the view and the sound of the waves.

THE FOOD/DRINKS AND RESTAURANT/RESORT AREA: Great breakfast, lunch and dinner. Lots of variety and everything was fresh and well-prepared. You won’t want to miss the Monkey La Las!!! Happy Hour starts at 5 p.m. The restaurant/bar area is so inviting. Sit in the shade or sun, look out over the pool to the sea, sip your Salva Vida or boat drink (seriously, try a Monkey La La), and talk with the other folks there with you. The bar is a great place for socializing with other tourists or with some very interesting island residents. We met an ambassador and a minor rock star. There was a great band on Saturday night – lots of dancing to go with those Monkey La Las.

AMBIENCE: The casitas at Palmetto are rented out by their owners. There are also beachside and hillside houses – some rented to tourists and others owner-occupied. There should be a lot of people about, but it seems like you have this paradise pretty much to yourself most of the time. It was great to see kids having fun on the beach and in the pool. It seems like a good place for families as well as for a romantic get-away. This is an eco-friendly resort, but I’m glad they spray for mosquitoes. If mosquitoes like you – keep your repellent on all the time, especially on other parts of the island.

ROATAN: You can swim with dolphins, play with monkeys, zip over fertile jungles, shop a little and much more. However, we loved Palmetto Bay Plantation and spent most of our time just relaxing at the resort. We are divers and the diving from the resort is wonderful. I’m planning to branch out a bit on the next trip. See you the week of June 19th…

BY THE WAY: Palmetto Bay is a price performer, and the exchange rate is very good right now. The Continental flight out of Houston is quick and direct to the island. On island, you can get a rental car if you want to explore the island or just ask for a Palmetto Bay driver (that’s what we did).

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank solandseathatsme

Reviewed 7 June 2010

Last week I stayed for a couple of days with my friend at Palmetto Bay Plantation and we simply LOVED it!! The staff was very nice to us, they actually remembered our names after introducing ourselves once. They also gave good tips for excursions and other activities on Roatan.Palmetto is an Ecoresort and we loved our little house. We stayed in A3/W, it was just big enough for the two of us and it was well equiped. The food was good, it was a pity they didn't had any local dishes but we had nothing to complain about. We also loved the beach, they also have a dock where you can swim and lay down/relax. The resort is remote so it's perfect if you just want to swim around, relax and be one with nature.The only thing we didn't like were the sand flies, they're all over Roatan: so DON'T forget to bring your repellent!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 June 2010

Where to begin.
When my husband and I were researching where to have our wedding in Roatan, we came across Palmetto Bay Plantation. I contacted them and that is how I met Cecilia - a name that will go down in infamy in my life forevermore.
I want to believe that not everything that happened during our week-long stay was her fault, but at the end of the day, if you are the wedding planner - you are responsible for the good and the bad that your staff brings to the table.
It wasn't all bad I guess and like so many friends and family try to remind me - in the end all that matters is you and your loved one got married and are happy.
But this website isn't about reviewing our marriage, its about reviewing hotels so here goes.... (in no particular order)
One week before we were supposed to go down there, it is mentioned to me - in "casual conversation" mind you - that the owners of the villa we had reserved atleast 5 months prior had wanted to come down and stay in that villa so we were being asked to spend the first few nights of our stay in a different house! At first I didn't want to make a big deal about it but quickly realized this was unacceptable and demanded a correction. It was finally corrected but not without a fight.
A day or two after we arrived I sat down with my wedding planner and spent much of my time going over all the final details. Time I could have spent with family and friends I dedicated to finalizing every detail. I was lulled into a false sense of security as I watched her nod her head and smile and write down everything we went over only to be brutally awoken by the reality that either she didn't listen to a word I said or didn't care, or was not able to communicate these important details to her staff - take your pick, neither possibility is any good when talking about a wedding planner is it?!
We had both spent a lot of money and effort on bringing everything we needed to make our wedding special. We bought sky lanterns to be released by close family and friends at a specific moment of our reception. I had just sat down to dinner with my hubby when A GUEST let me know to look up at a couple of our lanterns floating by. They were being lit by two members of the staff!!! They just started lighting them themselves and I got there before my wedding planner to stop them. Plus I'm pretty sure some were stolen, since we only had about 10-15 to light ourselves later on, and only a couple had been lit by accident and we had brought 20.
We wanted to have an open bar, and to help with the expense of that my parents bought the majority of the licquor and brought it to the resort. When my dad mentioned he was concerned some of the alcohol would be stolen I scoffed at his cynicism and lack of faith - after all these are professionals right? Well, it wasn't until one of the waiters stumbled up to me HALFWAY through the reception, reeking of alcohol and with his fly open to congratulate me on the great party that I joined in on his concern. Later came to find out from other guests that they had witnessed the bottles being taken.
Some of my guests didn't get cake because they decided only to cut the bottom tier and for a reason that baffles the mind, they never cut into the second tier. Information that was not shared until the next day.The second tier was not the flavor combination we ordered but of course noone found out until we cut into it the day after the wedding to celebrate a family member's birthday. Who knows what our third tier will be, we will have to wait until next year to find out.
We made cd's with our favorite music to give out as favors to all the guests. 77 CD'S, most of which now I come to find out were ruined because my wedding planner decided that a good way to display them would be to put them in a wooden boat filled with wet sand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We had also decided to set out a bunch of postcards from Honduras for guests to take one or two and then leave one with their wishes written out for us in lieu of having a guest book. Those were also left in the sand-filled boat and allowed to get wet and it wasn't until one of my friends was nice enough to ask the band to make an announcement explaining the purpose of the cards that guests knew what to do with them, even though all of this was clearly explained to my wedding planner and supposedly written down in her cute little notebook several days before.
But ok, maybe these are all just things that happen at weddings right? After all, anyone who has ever been involved with a wedding will surely tell you that whatever can go wrong usually does. Ok - lets step away from wedding matters for a second then and review the rest of our stay shall we....
I had the accountant of the hotel come up to our villa a couple days into our stay and in front of a handful of guests and friends, yell up to me (I was sitting on a chair on the deck of the house at the time) - not in anger, just yell in order to project her voice I guess - the specific details of a financial matter regarding our stay - including the exact amount down to two decimal points - VERY PROFESSIONAL!
Overall, I think I can safely assume that everyone there was getting a little tired of the overwhelming feeling that all anyone there cared about was money. I'm not naive -they are a business and there is a bottom line, but a true professional learns to not rub that in their clients faces. They kept charging my credit card in the local currency when my account is in dollars which ended up costing me more money which was ok at first except when it took one of the many receptionist three tries to get one single charge done correctly and it came up as 4 separate charges on my card - each with a separate additional fee!!!
Plus they tricked us into paying for some charges made to our room by a friend that had to stay there one night because of some unexpected flight issues, and now we come to find out he actually paid for all those charges himself in cash before he left.
Then it didn't help that little things that can happen - like the power going out and plumbing issues and such - did happen. I don't blame them for these things happening, but what I do hold them responsible for is not doing anything about these things for DAYS!!! My in-laws had a bathtub backed up with sewage for atleast 3 days. It wasn't until my mother-in-law actually came and got the bottle of bleach from them to clean the bathtub herself that it was cleaned and then they were switched to another villa.
Oh! I almost forgot my favorite part - we had been there for 2 days and they ran out of our favorite beer - which was ok, except they didn't get any for the remainder of our stay, even though several guests did have some that they bought themselves at local markets. And even that may have just been a fluke, but then they started to run out of food!!! Literally one day we had a waiter come up to us and say - we only have 4 items on our lunch menu today including hot dogs, fish fingers, spaghetti!!!
And what probably made it worse of all of these things was that any time anyone went up to talk to one of the reception people or Cecilia herself to bring up any of these issues, rather than offer up solutions, all you got was them getting defensive and making excuses! I understand that things happen, but make me atleast believe that you care about making it right - PRETEND DAMN IT!!!
What I do know about this trip is it was wonderful DESPITE all of these things, NO THANKS TO Palmetto Bay, but thanks to the family and friends who endured all these things with us and made it an unforgettable wedding just by being there. And there were a couple of their staff that went above and beyond, but unfortunately they were the exception. ROATAN AND HONDURAS are beautiful and even if you do happen to stay in this joke of a resort, you will see that, but the picture will be clearer and the experience much more pleasant if you don't stay here.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
10  Thank erdvm
Management response:Responded 18 June 2010

Dear Palmetto guest,

We regret when any of our guests return back home disappointed with their experience at Palmetto Bay Plantation. Though we almost always receive positive reviews from our guests, our team is attentive and aware that it is in the negative remarks that we find the keys to perfecting our business and improving the quality of our service.

It is very unfortunate to hear at this stage that the bride and groom were not satisfied with their wedding reception. Palmetto Bay Plantation has organized weddings for over eight years and, as can be confirmed in previous reviews of the property, when the subject matter is wedding receptions, we make it our duty to make it a wonderful and unforgettable event. This is the first time the resort faces a displeased wedding couple.

In meeting with our team after this review with the purpose of immediately correcting the irregularities appointed in the letter, we identified that indeed there were some unforeseeable challenges met by the staff during the event, however we fear that some of the comments made on the review were sometimes either overstated or not fully accurate.

We regret that, neither during nor after your stay, was any of our management team approached by the bridal party to express such displeasure with the services provided. It would have been our duty to find ways to overcome in all ways possible your dissatisfaction. We were also puzzled as we had a great review regarding your stay at the Villa and the reception, left by the groom in our Guest Book.

We have worked with our staff to learn from this misfortunate event and have committed to avoiding in all ways possible this miscommunication in events with any future guest.

Once again, our deepest apologies,

Patrícia da Silva

Marketing Director

PBP Marketing

Reviewed 4 June 2010

Just returned from a weekend at this resort. First and foremost, I must warn readers that this is the opinion of a city girl who needs amenities that go beyond a roof and a bed. If you're an all-terrain eco-nut this may very well be your heaven.
Where to begin, oh I know: I can think of a million ways to be tortured that I would enjoy more than spending another weekend at the A4 cabin in Palmetto Bay Plantation. To me, it was more like a weekend at Guantanamo Bay Plantation.
I was enamored with a lovely model house, it has its own pool and beachfront location... However, the house we got seemed to be a distant, partially-related, and possibly adopted version of the nice beachfront one. The only reason I refuse to rate it as terrible is because we were there for a wedding; and if you only go there for an event they have a great planner, a very beautiful, isolated beach wedding setup, and lovely reception area. (Very isolated at that, it's located on a distant part of the island which is not particularly easy to get to because of the dirt roads). But if you choose to stay there, I preemptively extend my sincerest condolences to any remnants of human comfort.
Strike one: the second night I was there I wanted to blow dry my hair for the cocktail hour and as soon as I turned on the dryer the electricity went out for the entire house ... not for a couple of minutes but several hours since the handymen took their merry time to get there and fix it (this would be fine were it not for the fact I used the dryer the night before and electricity did not fail and the day of the wedding there were three separate dryers on in the same house). Strike two: the a/c unit in the room was there strictly for illustrative purposes for the brochure pictures; even at its coldest setting, I still woke up sweating (although I should be grateful, I found out one of the other houses didn't even have the decorative a/c unit). Strike three: Each room, except for the living room, had about one lightbulb per room. The lighting was terrible! Trying to put on make-up the night of the wedding became a mission! I get the fact that they are an "eco-resort" but when you cannot even ready or do crossword puzzles by the available light without messing up your vision for life, I think that speaks volumes. Strike four: the last day there, we awoke to a horrible smell! It turned out to be the toilettes were backed up, feces exploded onto the toilette bowls, and the sewage water backed into the floor of the showers. I would not have mentioned this had it not been because this was not an isolated incident, but it occurred ins several of the houses my family had rented. The only way it got solved was when an aunt of mine flagged down a handyman who was on the grounds and asked for help because the front-desk seemed to be too busy with their failing credit card system during peak check out time. Although this might have been just our luck: in one of the houses my family was staying, a relative found a snake under the entry-way stairs. So, again if you like roughing it and getting in touch with nature this is the resort for you; but if you buy into the luxury destination that Roatan claims to be, head elsewhere.
And last bit of advice, which is applicable for the whole island: STOCK UP ON OFF OR OTHER MOSQUITO REPELLANT SPRAYS OR LOTIONS OR YOU'LL GET EATEN ALIVE!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank LeFoiedelaVie
Reviewed 25 May 2010

I got married april 21st 2010, and thanks to Cecilia Chamer and Maria from Palmetto bay, my wedding was beautiful!!! Cecilia did a great job helping me plan via email and phone calls, she had lots of helpful tips and pictures so I could imagine everything before getting to Roatan.

thay were a pleassure to work with, she arranged the chairs, linens, decorations and the most beautiful flowers I could imagine!!!! also a delicious cake

If it wasn't for Cecilia and Maria's help I would of been lost trying to figure out decorations!!!
She also has the best hair dresser!!!!

• Stayed: April 2010
Reviewed 24 May 2010

Just came back from an awesome two week stay, at Palmetto Bay Plantation. We wanted to relax and enjoy some nice warm weather, and that we did. Our main reason for going was to hang out and just not do anything, we opted for the meal plan which was very good, everyday their was a special on the board that was really good, my husband always ordered that. Everyone was great my husband liked to fish and he did some fishing a couple of days for half day each, I just sat by the pool and had margaritas and read my books, thankfully there is a book exchange where I traded the books that I had read while on vacation.
We definitely want to come back again and spend some quality time!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2010

My son and I went on a much needed vacation to the island of Roatan, I am an avid diver and wanted my son to learn to dive. We stayed in the Palmetto Bay Plantation resort in a beachfront balinese style villa with a plunge pool for an entire week. The food and service in the restaurant was fabulous. we had the all inclusive package.

My son fell in love with the diving on Roatan just like I did and the seaplane tour that we did one day it was the best, he is still talking about it. He still asking me about when we are going back. I am very happy that he had a private instructor.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family