“Go Stay at Mango Creek Lodge - You won't regret it!”
Review of Mango Creek Lodge

and 1 more site!
Mango Creek Lodge
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 30 April 2012

"Mi casa es su casa." This phrase cannot ring any truer than at Mango Creek Lodge. Owners, Terry & Patrice, make you feel like part of the family as soon as you get picked up by boat to head over to Mango Creek Lodge. Their eco-friendly lodge sits on 26 acres of land - full of exotic fruit trees and flowers, which Terry will personally lead you through and educate you on everything. The cabanas were designed by Terry himself, and built with the help of locals to maximize ventilation for Roatan's climate. They are thoughtfully designed with beautifully carved wooden doors and decorated in laminated furniture all of which was made locally. All linens were clean and beds comfortable.
Terry and Patrice employ an extended Roatan family, all of whom are friendly and overly accomodating. Michael took my husband and I over to the mangroves one day for some kayaking. Joevy boated us to the west end of the island for another tour. We had the privilege (all included) of taking Hobie kayaks out at ANY time: Lime Key has one of the best reefs we've been to and it was only 5 min away! We snorkeled over to Calf and Cow - 2 small islands surrounded by more beautiful reefs. Terry and Patrice welcomed us everyday for a mid-afternoon boat trip where we would all get into their boat along with their 2 dogs and head out to one of many small islands for a guided snorkle trip - it was such a treat!
My husband and I paid for a full-day's fishing trip with Michael, who went out early fly fishing with my husband, came back for breakfast and to pick me up, fished for a few hours before heading over to Pigeon Cay for lunch, and then fished for as long as the sun would let us. We caught 9 different species of fish - 9! (bonefish, snook, tarpon, Spanish mackeral, bluefin tuna, red snapper, barracuda, triggerfish, horse eyed jack). Where else can you do that?!?!
Trust me - you will eat better at Mango Creek than you will in your own home. The fruit is fresh, the vegetables are wonderfully seasoned, and the meats/fish are of the highest quality! Their cook, Dahlia, has many helpers to make your vacation's menu delicious. The fridge is always packed with sodas, beers, wines, and vanilla-flavored ice tea or lemonade. All of the male employees are more than happy to accomodate your request for a fresh coconut.
Although they employ excellent staff, Terry and Patrice are always around and accessible for questions or just to talk. They stayed up late one night teaching my husband and I how to play Frackle, a game they used to play on their sailboat. We were lucky to be there when Patrice's sister, Kathy, also came for a week's visit. Kathy is down-to-earth with great people skills and made us feel very much at home. She was happy to share her sister with us despite only seeing her a couple times every year.
So book a flight; fly to Roatan, and stay Mango Creek Lodge. Just go!

Room Tip: Overwater cabanas are such a unique way to spend you vacation.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AlexandraP908

Reviewed 28 April 2012

I spent a day fly fishing with the guides out of the lodge. They were kind enough to let my girlfriend spend the day at the lodge while I was out on the boat. The guides were very knowledgeable and knew how to fly fish, many of the guides on the island are excellent fisherman but do not have fly fishing experience. My guide Michael put me on hundreds of bonefish. The catch rate was low mostly due to the weather (30 mph winds and on/off rain) putting the bite off. They picked us up in Port Royal, stopped at the lodge for breakfast and off for a long day of fishing. The limited experience I had with the food was excellent, fresh fruit and the best coconut French toast I’ve ever had. My girlfriend went on for days on how comfortable she felt spending the day at the lodge. They have single room cabanas that are set on stilts over the water. Terry and Patrice are some of the kindest people I’ve met and have the great stories to tell about their travels around the world. They have kayaks that can be taken out to the nearby reefs for arguably the best snorkeling on the island. We will be staying here for an extended time next time we come to Roatan.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kenais3
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Wife and I taxied to Oakridge and were met by our guide, Captain Kessel, for 3 days in March. Very good fishing...Very Good. Guides are first class. Fishery is exceptional. Mango Creek is a bit of a trek, but well worth the effort. Pristine at that end of Roatan. We've travelled the Caribbean fishing and diving for 30 years. Mango Creek is small and lovely. Owners, staff, location, fishing, are like it was back in the day. Surrounding towns on the waterfront, the mountains coming up to the edge of the sea, the color and structure of the water, reefs, soft and hard corals and flats are all outstanding. We loved it all, and will be back to stay at Mango Creek next time....hopefully, soon!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeff M
Reviewed 11 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at Mango Creek Lodge for a week in February and had a wonderful time! We took the kayaks out several times, there are great places to kayak around the lodge and we also went to the mangroves. We also did quite a bit of snorkeling, again there are some nice spots very near the lodge. However, the snorkeling is awesome off of Pigeon Cay and the beach is wonderful too! My husband spent a day fishing with one of the guides and caught several fish, one big Jack. Just being out in the boat was fun, getting to take a look at the islands. The staff at Mango Creek was very welcoming and helpful, and the food was delicious. The cabanas are great. Being able to listen to the waves while drifting off to sleep is the perfect end to the day.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2012

The fishing is very, very good here! I have never seen so many tailing bones and permit in my life. The guide Perry, is quite skilled at coaching you to best present the fly. The people at Mango Creek Lodge are very friendly and helpful. And, the food is excellent. Would recommnend Mango Creek to all.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Tom K
Reviewed 31 January 2012

We were in Roatan, Honduras on a recent cruise and wanted to experience something different so we contacted Mango Creek Lodge and arranged for them to pick us up at a local village and take us to their lodge. It had rained that morning so the ride out to the lodge was a little rough, but their facilities are fantastic. It is known for great fishing, but we had arranged to have them take us out to an uninhabited cay for a picnic lunch and some snorkeling. It was a great trip until we had to return to the resort and ran into a rain storm. We all got drenched and by the time we got in the taxi for the ride back to the ship, we and all our belongings were sopping wet. Inspite of the weather, it was a great and memorable trip.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chaslin19
Reviewed 21 January 2012

My partner and I visited Mango Creek Lodge over Thanksgiving. The lodge caters to many varieties of nature enthusiasts. Aside from the beautiful and peaceful surroundings I was most impressed with the friendliness of the owners and staff. From the moment we were picked up at the airport by Terry, I felt like we were visiting family. We all sat down for breakfast and dinner each night, enjoyed conversation, and embarked on day trips. There are many aspects of this unique lodge that people fall in love with, but for me the friendly environment is what made me want to start planning our next visit before the end of our first!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple