“Paradise Found”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
florida
“Paradise Found”
Reviewed 8 March 2010

Spent a week at this "eco-lodge" snorkeling, kayaking and sailing to our hearts content. What a beautiful place! The cabana's over the water are charming - spent many blissful hours on our private waterfront porch, reading and enjoying the tropical breezes. Patrice and Terry, the owners/managers and their staff offered just the right amount of attention and allowances for our privacy. I wanted to pack up the cook and bring her home with us - she turned even the most seemingly ordinary ingredients into a feast. Fresh seafood, tropical fruits in abundance. Maybe the family style dining isn't for everyone, but we loved the camraderie that developed with the owners and other guests over the week. It is isolated - this is no Club Med so wouldn't recommend it if nightlife is your thing. My favorite evening memory was standing on the boathouse rooftop patio after an outstanding dinner with my honey and looking up at the most incredible sky full of stars. Very romantic! We didn't fish but the guests who did came in everyday with smiles and fish tales. Our favorite thing was to take the kayaks out to the reef and go snorkling where no one else was! No cattle boats of clumsy tourists to muck up the water here. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank coralreefers

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Honduras
Reviewed 1 March 2010

My husband and I spent 2 nights at MCL and regretted every penny. I will say this: Terry and Patrice, the owners, are very kind and friendly people. That is the one thing the place has going for itself.

Because we lived on the island of Roatan at the time, the owners gave us the “local” rate, which was $75 per person per night. For the 2 of us to stay there, that’s $150 per night, and even though it was discounted for prices like that we were obviously expecting a certain quality of service.

First of all, meals: although Terry told us while we were staying there that they “don’t skimp on meals”, and that this fact makes the price worth is, that just is not the case. True, portions are large. However, there are no meal options, no menu, and you do not decide when you’d like to eat. Our plates were set out whether we were at the table or even in the dining room or not. Our first meal was a glorified mac and cheese with ham in it; while I was mid-bite Patrice, who was talking about the potluck they’d had with the neighbors for Christmas, proudly announced, “That’s leftover Christmas ham you’re eating!” !! Most of the meals were casserole-type dishes or stir-fry over rice; we were served the same meal twice in the 2 nights that we stayed there. Our first morning we were served very good pineapple pancakes, HOWEVER, our second morning there, my husband had just stepped out onto our deck and I was still in bed when Patrice literally yelled across the small bay—I guess it would have been too inconvenient to send staff or walk to our door herself—anyway she yelled to us that if we wanted anything for breakfast later than 8am it would have to be cold cereal! Cold cereal, for $150 a night? Also, don’t expect any type of ambiance in the dining department—unless you consider a huge mess “ambiance”. For one thing we were expected to take meals with the owners—not just at the same time, but at the same table. They made it clear that they expected us to sit with them, which definitely detracted from the romantic getaway we were hoping for! When we did finally work up the courage to express a desire to sit separately they looked hurt, they kept trying to hold conversations with us anyway—again, we really liked how friendly they were, but we just wanted a little privacy for sweet newlywed talk!—and we had to whisper to keep from being heard. Aside from the lack of privacy, the dining room had a “camp” feel to it, nothing at all what you’d expect for the prices you’ll pay here, and it was very messy: clear Tupperware boxes stacked everyway, containers of partially-used Christmas decorations out and opened, stacks of various sundry, etc. There was only music when my husband turned it on. During meals we had to get up for our own drinks or drink refills (powdered beverages, except fresh juice with breakfast), even going back into the kitchen for a cup of coffee or glass of water. Our second morning there we asked for a second cup of coffee, and Terry said that they’d have to make a fresh pot, but for $150/night we felt entitled to a second cup; I’m not sure if he added a scoop of coffee grinds to what was already in the filter or not, either way it was obvious that he only ran more water through the already-used-grinds, and it tasted so terrible that we couldn’t drink it anyway.

As for accommodations: unless you intend to spend all day every day either snorkeling, kayaking—the scenery is beautiful—, or fishing (which costs extra), expect to be very bored. There is no pool or spa (although the cook supposedly gives very good massages, but at a price higher than what was posted online),and there is nothing to do in the room, not even a TV/DVD player, although they have DVDs available to watch in the dining hall (don’t expect any privacy, the owners were watching a movie on that TV our second night there). Board games are also offered in the dining hall. The hammocks on the decks are riddled with sand flies, so the mental image I had of taking a nice long nap swinging in the hammock never materialized; Terry and Patrice said they don’t spray out of concern for the environment, but there are organic pesticides available. Also, our first night there the bed had many bugs on it, several on the pillows—not bed bugs, just bugs that fly around outdoors.

Although the room is adequate, the bathroom has a composting toilet. This is a separate discussion altogether. First of all, you have to stand on a step to mount the massive throne. The step is narrow, so my husband did have a little trouble with #1, since he couldn’t get his feet far enough apart on the tiny step. Secondly, you’re supposed to pour a scoop of the peet into the pot after use. The stuff is messy and gets all over the seat, when I brushed it off of course it got on the floor, on the bathmat, etc. Yuck. Thirdly, big surprise, now the bathroom smells like #1, #2, AND dirt. Awesome. They told us not to turn the handle that empties the barrel holding the toilet’s contents, that “housekeeping” would do that. Housekeeping didn’t, so we did, and after turning the handle a ton of mosquitoes flew out of our toilet right into our screened room, so even though it stopped smelling our room was then full of toilet mosquitoes!

Our first night and morning there we had no hot water in, apparently there was a problem with the solar water heater. We mentioned it at breakfast, and afterward went back to our room for married couple R&R, and Terry chose that moment to come check on the water heater—I understand he didn’t want to do it while we were out of our room at breakfast, since he was having breakfast at the same time as us, but could he have possibly waited until we were out snorkeling or kayaking? On his way to check the water heater he tracked mud all over our room since it had been raining. When we got to dinner that night I finally asked if Patrice could possibly send someone to clean our room; whoever went to “clean” our room pulled up the covers on the bed and changed the bag in the trashcan: no fresh towels (even though the bathmat was covered in peet), and they didn’t sweep or turn the toilet handle. Twice my husband had to go to another cabana to find more toilet paper for us; that’s what Patrice told us to do if we ran out.

Internet is not available in the cabanas or dining hall. Terry said he was working on installing some sort of network, but it was not available when we were there. To use internet, we had to hike up to “the lodge”. Do not be deceived: what they call “the lodge” is actually their private home, although they were staying in one of the cabanas while we were there to keep an eye on the boathouse. At “the lodge”, we could use internet in “the office”—Terry’s private office, which happens to be a hugely cluttered mess.

If you are in a financial position to pay ridiculously high prices and don’t mind being treated like jr. high summer campers, then this place is for you. Between the bugs, the deplorable excuse for “service”, the lack of privacy or ambiance, the boredom, and the uncomfortable accommodations, this is not at all the luxury resort you will be charged for. I highly recommend Paya Bay; although we’ve never stayed the night there, we were treated very well during our day trip there, the grounds are lovely, the prices are better, the food is great, the accommodations look comfortable, and the service is terrific.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
14 Thank walk500more
The Dalles, Oregon
Reviewed 27 December 2009

Mango Creek Lodge attracted our attention as a flyfishing destination. My husband enjoyed a day of guided fishing with their excellent guide, Perry, and fished on his own for several more days, mostly for bonefish. Our over-the-water cabin was beautiful with lots of wood carvings, a beautiful bathroom, and a comfortable bed. The food was very good; we ate all of our meals with the owners and managers in the main lodge. They arranged a day of diving for me with nearby Reef Resort; the highlights there were seeing my 1st seahorse and their wonderful divemaster, David.

All inclusive isn't our favorite style of travel but we were very impressed with every feature of this place.

• Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 8 September 2009

This was our 3rd visit to Mango Creek Lodge. Our first visit was a day fishing trip out of West End in Feb 2008. We loved what we saw, so stayed a week in April 2009 and another week in August 2009. Terry and Patrice, the owners, are lovely, wacky (in a good way), fun and interesting (they have traveled the world). They know a lot about the history of Roatan, and are willing to share their knowledge and stories. We stayed in the cabanas over the water. They are cute and comfortable - and kept cool by the constant breeze that flows on this side of the island (the West End of the island can get super hot - no breeze). The food is tasty, fresh and mostly local. The staff is kind, friendly and polite. If you are looking for a posh /lux type of place, this may not be the right place for you. It is definitely more low-key and eco/nature based. During the day my husband fished while I read books, played cards, kayaked, snorkeled and swam (for these activities, you should be prepared to be on your own, and comfortable with swimming and kayaking on your own - unless you happen to have other guests that want to do these activities with you) . Each day, the owners also plan an after lunch snorkel to different locations via boat - all beautiful and unspoiled. They will be adding diving soon - with a certified dive master - which should be great, as it is not as crowded as the diving on the West End, and there are plenty of deep coral formations, walls and wrecks to be explored.

And here is my husband to tell you about the fishing ;) - The fishing! Love it. There are several flats, ranging from a few hundred yards to over a half mile if you were to walk it all- coral based with turtle grass a prominent feature. Opportunities for bonefish from 1 to 3 pounds are numerous with the occasional larger fish caught (7lbs was a recent catch by another fisherman). Tarpon action is available with smaller fish being the most numerous, peaking at 60 or so lbs from what I have seen but have yet to catch, frustrating buggers! During one of our stays there was a super grand slam caught by one of the fly fishers, an amazing feat for sure, but that brings me to the permit. While I have yet to hook one, opportunities were numerous. Much more than I had expected. Across the three stays I would put 25 sighting of permit as a fair number (not just single fish, but most of those 25 were 2 or more to a group) with half of those I had a shot at, and maybe 4 'lookers'. If you are looking for a permit - Honduras, and Mango Creek Lodge in particular are great places to go. Next time I hope to go to Guanaja for a couple of days. To do this is a quite reasonable extra cost if there is another fisherman who is interested and the weather is cooperative. Fishing in Guanaja has less pressure than around Mango Creek and offers an opportunity for greater numbers of fish along with even more shots at permit.

Since this is an issue that grabs headlines here, we did not find any issues with the politics or protests, in fact the only evidence of any connection to the problems of late on the mainland were a few white flags that Terry pointed out to us as meaning solidarity with the current leader.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dhs2002
Georgia
Reviewed 6 September 2009

My husband and I just back from Mango Creek Lodge. Prior to going I was concerned about traveling to such a remote area. Let me assure you, there's no reason to be concerned. The owners, Terry, Patrice and their staff take care of everything! Dalia, a wonderful Honduran young woman prepares great food. We stayed in one of the cabanas over the water and were serenaded to sleep each night by the sound of the ocean waves. My husband loves to fly fish and had the individual attention of a wonderful guide for the entire week. He caught lots of bone fish but probably the best time for fishing would be in April-June. We both love to snorkel. We could actually snorkel right off the ladder on our cabana. Terry and Patrice also took us to different locations each afternoon to snorkel. We even had a picnic one day at Pigeon Cay and snorkeled in the exquisite waters afterwards. If you want to go to an absolutely beautiful, quaint place - this is it! Hey and here's a bonus....Terry and Patrice are planning to offer scuba diving in the near future....what more could you ask for!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Tampa, Fl
Reviewed 20 August 2009

My family and I had an opportunity to travel to Port Royal. Terry, the owner of Mango Creek Lodge, picked our group up by boat in Oakridge to take us for a day tour of this area which is absolutely majestic. It is an area rich in pirate history making it that much more mysterious. And if you read the book written by Anne Jennings "Roatan Odyssey" before you go, the area will become even that much more alive for you. A "real treasure".

Mango Creek Lodge itself is an ecotourism resort and is extremely nice and well done, from the cabanas over the water to the folage on the acreage. In addition, the main lodge is wonderfully done. This tucked away place offers flyfishing, snorkeling, diving, sailing, great hiking, and just have an amazing time in your hammock enjoying mother nature. We had a fabulous shrimp lunch during our tour at their restaurant and the homemade oatmeal cookies topped it off....They are to die for!

Once people find this hidden jewel on Roatan, they will keep coming back and hope that there will be room to stay! It is for those who want to get away from it all and just enjoy a time of great escape. It is extremely safe as is the entire island of Roatan. We found the people there to be warm and gentle. It is my understanding that many people canceled their trips to Roatan and Honduras due to the state warnings from the U.S. However, I will say that we found both areas safe and I can honestly say that I have felt less safe in the states! So don't let that stop you from coming. You won't be disappointed!!!!!

• Stayed August 2009
Tel Aviv
Reviewed 3 November 2008

We spent several wonderful days at the Mango Creek resort:
starting with the splendid scenery on the short boat ride from Oak Ridge to the resort (all arranged by the owners) , through the pampering cabanas (more on that later!) and meals, and ending with the kind hospitality of the owners, managers and staff.

The large clean cabanas on the water are magnificent. Hearing the sound of waves surrounding us before going to sleep, and relaxing on the inviting hammocks at the cabana's private deck were exactly what we had in mind when we imagined our stay on a tropical island. While we were there, we saw them building house-on-trees (for the more economic travelers) that looked really cool.

We are not into fishing, yet we found plenty of things to do. We took the kayaks (very comfortable, even had a locker for snorkeling gear) to two near-by favored snorkeling spots. We found this activity very enjoyable and the views underwater were nice. Later on, we further explored the reef thanks to the neighboring diving center (we are both certified divers).
Also available there (but we didn't use them) are sailboats.

The food was delicious and varied. We especially liked the deserts the cook made everyday...

The owners and managers were ready to help with anything that we needed (be it sand flies repellent or printed information for our onward traveling). They are very knowledgeable about the marine life and the environment, and we had very pleasant conversations with them during meals and between them. The time we spent there is definitely one of the highlights of our one month trip in Guatemala and Honduras.

If you're looking for parties and nightlife, the Mango Creek isn't for you. Otherwise, we'd definitely recommend it.

• Liked — on water cabanas
  • Disliked — remote
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank EranAndKeren