“Beautiful place!”
Review of Paya Bay Resort

Paya Bay Resort
Ranked #17 of 42 Hotels in Roatan
Reviewed 10 December 2007

My husband, seven year old son and I spent a week at Paya Bay and we had a fabulous time. The Lil Beach was perfect for a small child and he and I went down most every morning. The waves are pretty small and there was no turtle grass. My husband went to Paya Bay in order to scuba. Ben the Dive Master and Jim the Boat Master made sure that my beginner (and handicapped) husband had a great experience. On one day, my son and I snorkeled with Jim while the others dived and it was so beautiful. The water was as flat and as clear as glass.

Our room was one of those on the bluffs and travelers need to be aware that the rooms aren’t much. This is a family hotel in a third world country. The view from the balcony however, is worth a million dollars. I sat there for hours watching the clouds, reading and listening to the crash of the waves. If you are looking for a place with a fabulous room this is not for you. The room was more than adequate for what we wanted though; a place to hang out in while enjoying Roatan.

As all reviews for Roatan tell you, the place has bugs and in the summer/fall, trying to sleep with out air conditioning is hard. Paya Bay is very remote and at least 45 minutes to an hour away from the West End. Don’t come here if you are looking for a lot of action or luxury. Come here if you love the water and the beach and want to relax with a person or people that you love.

Everyone at Paya Bay goes out of their way to ensure that you are happy. The food is plentiful and adequate. My husband was disappointed but I figure any meal I do not have to cook is ok by me. On one evening the electricity was out but we were able to see the Milky Way above and the fluorescent jellyfish below.

Look at all the pictures posted on TripAdvisor. Paya Bay really looks like that. An amazing place. We can’t wait to come back and are trying to line up a visit at Christmas 2008.

2  Thank TheCaretaker
There are newer reviews for Paya Bay Resort

Reviewed 7 October 2007

We recently visited Paya Bay for the second time. We spent our honeymoon there three years ago and always dreamed of returning. This year we decided to rent a beach house between West End and West Bay. While the beach house was beautiful, it didn't have the magic Paya Bay has. After being bitten by sand flies, sharing our cabaña with the locals, and eating marginal meals in West End, we decided to head to Paya Bay for the day. Our intentions were to have lunch and lounge on the beautiful beaches. After the long trek across the island, we were ready for a nice cold beer. Driving up to Paya Bay was like coming home. We immediately felt we had made a huge mistake by renting a house. We ate lunch and talked with Lurlene and Charles. We drove back to West End gave up our beach house and spent the rest of the week at Paya. I ended up with food poisoning from West End and the staff at Paya were wonderful! Charles made me a special soup while Connie made me herbal tea. I felt better as was able to go to Karaoke that night. I cannot
recommend Paya Bay enough. It will always be a special place for us. If you are looking for a relaxing atmosphere with great food and cold drinks, come to Paya. It is truly a magical place.

FYI....
...if you are interested in exploring the island, do not hesitate to rent a car. Roatan is a safe environment to explore on your own. Stop by the Iguana Farm, Carambola Gardens, and make sure you have lunch at The View. Be aware, gas prices will range between $4-$5 per gallon.

If you want to fish, stick with Paya Bay. Do not use Mad Max fishing charters (West End/West Bay) unless you want to watch your guide catch all the fish.

If you leave Paya Bay, make sure you drink bottled water. If you are at a local resturant, make sure the ice, smoothies, or other drinks are made with filtered water. Do not drink the local tap water. Most resturants abide by this. Rudy's in West End does not. One more tip. Be ready to pay the same as U.S. prices on food, beer or any other goods. The islands are much more expensive than the mainland.

Have fun!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank JKOOklahoma
Reviewed 20 September 2007

The Paya Bay property is set gracefully into the coastline on the north side of Roatan. It's a pretty place with lots of good views and two beaches.

The service and amenities are informal and comfortable; it's run by a family who made me feel welcome and cared for. Of course, September is super-low season, so it was easy to get personal attention (even from the resort puppy Lucky)!

The north coast is pretty remote and entertainment is low-key. Diving seems to be the main attraction. I enjoyed the snorkeling a lot, but low season meant that the dive-master was out of the country, so I have no first-hand knowledge of that. I'd go back to find out.

Getting there was easy from California's Bay Area. It took about 8 hours, but only one change of plane.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 September 2007

My family and I stayed for 2wks and i can tell you that the time there was way above our expectations. We have a 10 month, 2, 14 and 17 yrs old and the family run operation went out of their way to make our stay comfortable as well as taking care of any extra requests we made of them. We had so many different levels of needs/wants regarding our kids.
Lurlene, Mervin, (the Mom and Pop owners) and Tom, Sharlene, and Davinci (their adult children) kept them all busy and happy. From snokeling to the breathtaking scuba diving to just swimming on one of the two beaches on the property everyone had fun. We went into town a couple of times and did some of the things that the family suggested, like the zip line down island and we went to Gumba Limba Park. This level of customer service is hard to find these days and this family vacation will be remembered for a long time to come.

Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed 20 August 2007

wife and I spent one week at Payabay. Snorkeling and diving in the top 10% around the world. Also the location on the East end of the North shore and views are great. We stayed in one of the rooms right on a cliff almost overtop the water. More hummingbirds than we imagined exist just outside the dining room. We enjoyed the isolation and remoteness of the place away from hub bub of West Bay and West End Roatan. But the remoteness may not be for everyone. Not the place to go for nightlife unless you bring it yourself (there was a dive club there our week that entertained themselves pretty well) We took one day to see the rest of the island. The operation is family run by Mom Lurlene McNab and her adult children Davinci, Sharlene & Tom. Tom took us out to the nearby reef for snorkeling. The facilities are not "new" . Give the management an "a" for effort but a way to go meet our expectations for places with similar rates. Food OK but buffet style. We lost power for hours at a time and once for 24 hours. That was a night not soon to be forgotten without AC. They say their backup generator is in the shop soon to be ready to kick in when the loc

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank GTWassociates
Reviewed 28 June 2007

Are you looking for paradise on earth? Do you need to get away from it all and recharge your battery? Is there someone special in your life with whom you want to get away, relax, and renew? Paya Bay is the perfect destination. My wife and I celebrated our 25th anniversary at Paya Bay and it was beyond perfect. The tropical breeze washed away all our cares. The Caribbean sun cleansed our souls. The beaches are great. The snorkeling was a blast. The staff was helpful and friendly without ever being intrusive. The food was to die for -- if you love seafood this is your destination. The accomodations are simply wonderful. This is the genuine island experience, not corporate America transplanted into a remote destination, and, we felt, the price is very reasonable. Our week on Paya Bay is one we will remember forever. We can't stop talking about it. We give it a two thumbs up -- way up!

Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed 28 May 2007

Paya Bay is a wonderful option for a relaxing vacation ...especially if diving and/or snorkeling is an important vacation activity. My wife and I knew up front that we were going to a small resort located in a fairly undeveloped part of the island. For some folks that would be a recipe for boredom but for us it was perfect. The McNabb family, who own and operate the resort, do an outstanding job of attending to the needs of the guests. Being a small resort, it cannot provide the level of amenities found at larger hotels but by the same token the larger resorts cannot compete with the level of personal attention that the McNabbs gave to us. I felt a genuine effort was made by all family members (and many of the staff) to get to know us and authentically be interested in how we were enjoying our vacation....this personal touch was most welcome. The resort itself is clean, comfortable and picturesque. It has a great location (that is, if you enjoy relative solitude and the beauty of the surrounding countryside). Again, if you require non-stop activities or access to immediate shopping, this is not a good choice. But if you like nice beaches, terrific access to a healthy reef system, and the opportunity to chill out, it is a superb vacation option. Development on Roatan will undoubtedly change the character of the island considerably over the next 10-20 years. One can only hope that this little vacation oasis remains mainly undisturbed. Signed- Libby and Tony from Greensboro, NC.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple