My husband, seven year old son and I spent a week at Paya Bay and we had a fabulous time. The Lil Beach was perfect for a small child and he and I went down most every morning. The waves are pretty small and there was no turtle grass. My husband went to Paya Bay in order to scuba. Ben the Dive Master and Jim the Boat Master made sure that my beginner (and handicapped) husband had a great experience. On one day, my son and I snorkeled with Jim while the others dived and it was so beautiful. The water was as flat and as clear as glass.
Our room was one of those on the bluffs and travelers need to be aware that the rooms aren’t much. This is a family hotel in a third world country. The view from the balcony however, is worth a million dollars. I sat there for hours watching the clouds, reading and listening to the crash of the waves. If you are looking for a place with a fabulous room this is not for you. The room was more than adequate for what we wanted though; a place to hang out in while enjoying Roatan.
As all reviews for Roatan tell you, the place has bugs and in the summer/fall, trying to sleep with out air conditioning is hard. Paya Bay is very remote and at least 45 minutes to an hour away from the West End. Don’t come here if you are looking for a lot of action or luxury. Come here if you love the water and the beach and want to relax with a person or people that you love.
Everyone at Paya Bay goes out of their way to ensure that you are happy. The food is plentiful and adequate. My husband was disappointed but I figure any meal I do not have to cook is ok by me. On one evening the electricity was out but we were able to see the Milky Way above and the fluorescent jellyfish below.
Look at all the pictures posted on TripAdvisor. Paya Bay really looks like that. An amazing place. We can’t wait to come back and are trying to line up a visit at Christmas 2008.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Paya Bay Beach Resort is Roatan's Ultimate Escape. Located on the pristine east end, it is Roatan's premier boutique hotel. Perched atop a bluff with private beaches on each side, Paya Bay features 10 uniquely designed rooms and an amazing restaurant. Paya Bay's on-site dive operation, Dive Roatan, specializes in underwater tours and training for one to ten divers. Paya Bay also offers: flats fishing, boat tours, hiking and of course relaxation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Paya Bay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paya Bay Hotel Roatan
- Paya Bay Beach Dive Hotel
- Paya Bay Beach Dive Resort
- Paya Bay Resort Roatan, Honduras - Bay Islands