“What a wonderful vacation we had -- we already plan to stay here again”
Review of Paya Bay Resort

Paya Bay Resort
Ranked #18 of 42 Hotels in Roatan
Reviewed 23 June 2011

My husband and I spent a week here in early June. Paya Bay is a lovely resort, the staff are all, without exception, marvelous people. The food was great. We loved the snorkeling trips with Tommy and the driving trip with Jose, hunting down geocaches. I cannot remember when I enjoyed a vacation so much. We are actively trying to organize a trip with family and friends for next year. My husband and I both miss our morning fruit plate and huge breakfasts at the table by the hummingbird feeder. What a peaceful, beautiful place in the world! Thank you Paya Bay!

Room Tip: All rooms have a terrific view.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank djwhatley

Reviewed 13 June 2011

Has a great time at this resort. ocean view room was spectacular. Food was good, but sometimes felt that they didn't prepare enough for everyone. Some room to walk around the resort with multiple beaches.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank iliketravel99
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Recently I was on a cruise aboard the Carnival Dream which included a stop in Roatan, Honduras. In researching possible excursions, I ran across a resort called Paya Bay which is away from the crowds and very secluded. I contacted the resort and promply received a reply from Lurleen the owner who said yes they provide a day pass for 85.00 and would have their driver Jose waiting just outside the gate with a sign to pick me up.

Jose was a great driver and pointed out many highlights of the island along the way to Paya Bay. The last couple of miles are on a very bumpy dirt road leading to the resort but well worth it when you arrive. They escorted me into the restaurant and provided me with fresh papaya juice and a fruit plate before showing me to a room which I could use for the day to change and shower.

Paya Bay has specific weeks which are designated entirely clothing optional which the week I was there it was which wasn't a big deal to me. There are about 4 beaches to choose from, some more secluded than others, but each one unique. After laying out for several hours at Bliss Beach I went back to the room and showered and dressed and went back to the restaurant for a great lunch of salad, grilled chicken, fresh vegatables, rolls, and key lime pie for dessert.

I would highly recommend Paya Bay if your looking for a place to get away from it all, away from the crowds and civilization. The accommodations are great, the food is outstanding and I am looking forward to being able to go back so I can spend more than just a few hours. I didn't want to go back to the ship!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank szorl
Reviewed 15 May 2011

Having never been to Roatan, I put my trust in my brother's hands to plan our week-long vacation. I needed a vacation, and was also planning to complete my open water diving certification. My brother has been to Roatan many times, however, he typically stayed on the west end of the island, where you can dive till you drop. Even for him, this diving trip was going to be a new experience, and neither of us were disappointed!

If you are looking for nightlife, parties, all-around wild times, and diving until you are exhausted, this is not the place to go. That is certainly not meant to be a negative comment about Paya Bay. After almost a year of difficult times in my life, I was ready to get away from it all and find a little slice of heaven for some relaxation. That is exactly what I found at Paya Bay.

We were greeted at the airport by Jose, who was an excellent tour guide on the drive to Paya Bay. He was even willing to stop at a grocery store so we could get a few things we wanted to keep in our room. Once at the resort, we were greeted by two very friendly dogs who led us up to the restaurant where we met Lurlene and Marcy. We were greeted with hugs and cold glasses of fresh guava juice. We were shown to our room, which I thought was perfect for this setting. The unfinished wood floors, bright colors and big windows with sheer coverings were simple yet beautiful, and perfect for worry-free days coming back to the room with sand on our feet or wet diving gear to store.

While Paya Bay is not specifically a diver's resort, they do an excellent job of coordinating with TID for your diving experience. We could dive each morning and be back in time for lunch. TID is an excellent operation, and I was thankful that we had not chosen one of the busier dive till you drop places. As a new diver, I needed a little extra hand-holding (sometimes literally) and Ed and Anton were very patient with me, which made the diving that much more enjoyable. They didn't have 15 or 20 other divers to worry about. Even at capacity, they still have small groups. We were lucky to be a group of 4 all week.

As for the food and the dining experience, it was amazing. I suppose some people would not want to wait 30 minutes to get their food, but while on vacation, I don't want to be rushed through a meal. It was so nice to sit and watch the hummingbirds, or listen to the ocean, watch the boats pass by, and at night listen to the geckos chatter to each other. The food was definitely worth waiting for! Every meal was excellent, and they are set up to cater to just about any preference. I enjoyed trying the local dishes, and loved the fact that if I didn't think I would like the "special" of the day, I could order off the menu which offered everything from salads to burgers to pasta. The one time I hesitated about ordering the daily "special", I was reassured that if I didn't like it, they would be happy to bring me something different. After that, I didn't hesitate to try the local dishes, and I never had to default to a back-up. I also loved the fact that Paya Bay is small enough that by the end of our third evening, those of us staying had met, gotten to know each other, and were sharing one big table for dinner.

We found the beaches to be amazing. Bliss Beach with it's crashing waves was perfect for the beach-side massage I decided to do. And on days when day-trippers were there, we could escape to the other two, more private coves which were so peaceful.

I suppose what I liked most was that at Paya Bay, you can make your stay as quiet or as active as you like. If you want to lounge around on the beach all day, you have several beaches to choose from. If you want to experience other activities, Marcy will help make it happen. A day trip to Pigeon Cay, which I highly recommend, snorkeling on the coral reef, or a massage on the beach, a guided tour of the island, swimming with dolphins or flying on a zip line - it is entirely up to you to decide what you want to make of your time there.

We did have a few glitches during our stay, which we took in stride. The power did go out a few times, usually for short periods of time. However, I have to think that this is to be expected when traveling to a location such as this. We also had a problem with our air conditioner, which Tom took care of right away. I have to give all the staff a thumbs-up for making sure their guests are taken care of.

Before I even left Paya Bay to begin my journey home, I was already planning, in my head at least, a return trip. I am hoping to go back next year with my husband to celebrate our 10th anniversary, and maybe even renew our wedding vows there.

I'm pleased to see the direction Paya Bay is taking. While so many places are catering to the night-life scene, it's nice to know that they appreciate and offer peace, relaxation, communion with nature and the spirituality of such a beautiful setting. I have already recommended Paya Bay to several friends, and hope they are able to go someday soon to experience it for themselves.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank newbiediver68
Reviewed 10 May 2011

My wife and I stopped at Roatan during our Princess Cruise on May 3, 2011. Prior to the cruise we booked a day trip on-line to Paya Bay. We were picked up at the pier by José who was extremely friendly and very knowledgable of the history and sights of Roatan Island. The 45 minute drive to Paya Bay was pleasant and beautiful. Once at the resort, we were given a fruit plate and glass of chilled papaya juice then shown to our room so we could rest and freshen up. We scheduled lunch at 1:00PM so that we would have plenty of time to get back to our ship by 3:30. We spent some time in the room then explored the private trails, beaches and pool. There were very few people at the resort on this day so it seemed we had the whole place to ourselves. The resort is very beautiful with excellent trails and well kept beaches. They were building a new yoga center near one of the private beaches which involved a lot of hammering but, overall, the day was perfect. After hiking the trails, laying out by the beach, swimming in the ocean and the pool, we went back to the room to relax and shower before lunch. I opted for the lobster lunch ($10.00 extra) which was well worth it. My wife had a chicken (pollo) dish which she said was also excellent. Although our time at Paya Bay was extremely short (only 5 hours), we thoroughly enjoyed it and will definately go back if we're ever in Roatan again. I would highly recommend this resort for any vactioners or 'cruisers' who will be spending any time in Roatan.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2011

My fiance and I happened along Paya Bay on a road trip during our recent visit to Roatan. What a find! Our mouths dropped open at the glorious beach that meets you on the way to the hotel parking. We parked the car and were met by 2 very friendly dogs, who walked us up to the reception/restaurant area. As we climbed the stairs, the view become more beautiful and the feeling of peace that pervades the entire resort begins to rest in your soul - it is indescribable.

Lurlene, the owner, met us with a warm hug and I was drawn to her genuine and kind personality. She is truly one of a kind and makes you feel like part of her family as soon as you enter her resort. It is like you are coming home from a long trip. We told her we wanted to "check-out" the resort and enjoy the facilities for the day. She was more than accomodating and in addition to use of the facilities, provided us with a tour of the resort, including accomodations. We were so impressed with the peace and beauty of the resort and rooms, that we decided to come back, leave Infinity Bay Resort for an evening, and stay a night at Paya Bay.

The rooms are wonderful with large, picture windows and doors leading to overhanging decks looking out to beautiful ocean views. We slept with the windows and doors open and listened to the ocean lapping against the rocks beneath us. We stayed in the Cliffside Room, #4. I slept like a baby!

The grounds are lovely, with trails leading to Bliss Beach and 2 coves, one more private than the other. The dogs joined me for a sunset hike in the evening and we took pictures along the trail. The trails are lighted at night so you will be able to find your way back after sunset...

Bliss Beach is just as it is named - blissfull. The infinity pool resides here as do Kayaks and beach chairs. It is a quiet, beautiful beach, with aquamarine waters and soft, sugary sand.

Just past the beach are 2 coves, one with Kayaks which I took full advantage of. I kayaked around the rear of the resort where the gym and boats are housed and turned around and kayaked over to the other side of the resort, where the private cove resides.

My fiance and spent time at the private cove, resting. My only recommendating is to hang another hammock over there, Lurlene!

The food was fresh, healthful and moderately priced. We ate lunch, dinner and breakfast at the resort. I took particular advantage of the Noni Smoothie. I swear this stuff gives you energy!

On our way out, Lurlene invited us into her home, where we chatted and had a refreshing drink. She gave me some local fruit to take back to Infinity Bay with me and I felt like I was leaving a close family member.

My fiance loved Roatan and are planning a trip next September. We loved Paya Bay so much, we plan to stay part of our next trip at Paya and the rest at West Bay, to get the full island experience.

Thanks to the staff and Lurlene at Paya Bay for showing us a piece of heaven.

Kimmy

Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2011

The Paya Bay resort was a wonderful place to spend a week. Lurlane and her family are extremely hospitable and a pleasure to meet. Paya Bay is not your typical resort with 100s of people around and busy crowded beaches. Rather, it is a place to go to get away from the busyness of life and enjoy the beauty of an ocean breeze, a good book, and a stress-free environment.

• Stayed: March 2011