If you are looking for a remote location that is nice and quiet, Paya Bay may be for you.
With any resort we feel the staff working there either make it or break it for the guests. We found the staff we met at this small family run resort to be exceptional. Jose, Evelyn, Meerna and Winnie we found all to be very friendly, helpful and enjoyed our conversations with them.
Having sold travel for a couple years I know travelling in October is a gamble with it being hurricane season and all. We have won the gamble the last few years but this year we lost as the weather was not the greatest. You can't let it get you down though and you make the best of what you have or your vacation is ruined.
We found the BUGS [ sand flies] to be horrendous. Talking to different people they are all over the island. My wife had a reaction to them and the bites were very irritating to her. Should you go take "OFF" Benadryl and Lanacaine in case you have a reaction.
Bliss Beach at Paya Bay is very private and a great area should you want no tanlines when they have their c/o weeks. There are many trails on the property and you can get some great views of the sunsets.
The people of the Island are very warm and friendly. We walked 3 km on the main road to the east to Camp Bay and about 4 km to the west and at all times felt safe. People passing you on the road would either say hello or wave or honk from their vehicle. We took some soccer balls, pens, paper, markers, crayons etc and handed them out to the kids. The soccer balls were a huge hit.
One thing that concerns me on the Island is the amount of litter, mainly plastic and glass bottles along with other debris that washes up on shore. I don't think the Honduran people realize how lucky they are to have such beautiful beaches.
For the past 4 years we have generally gone to c/o resorts in the Caribbean and Mexico and there are some we haven't tried. We would like to go back to Paya Bay but it would definitely be a different time of the year. Should you have any questions please feel free to email me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Paya Bay Beach Resort is Roatan's Ultimate Escape. Located on the pristine east end, it is Roatan's premier boutique hotel. Perched atop a bluff with private beaches on each side, Paya Bay features 10 uniquely designed rooms and an amazing restaurant. Paya Bay's on-site dive operation, Dive Roatan, specializes in underwater tours and training for one to ten divers. Paya Bay also offers: flats fishing, boat tours, hiking and of course relaxation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers and Agoda so you can book your Paya Bay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paya Bay Hotel Roatan
- Paya Bay Beach Dive Hotel
- Paya Bay Beach Dive Resort
- Paya Bay Resort Roatan, Honduras - Bay Islands