“Beautiful honeymoon!”

Ranked #16 of 40 Hotels in Roatan
Philadelphia, PA
“Beautiful honeymoon!”
Reviewed 7 January 2008

My husband and I traveled to Paya Bay for our honeymoon in September. Upon arrival to the hotel, I was blown away. The view is amazing and so romantic! September is part of the rainy season on Roatan... but we feel it only added to the beauty of Paya Bay. The rain would be a light shower that lasted no more than 20 minutes during the day. And at night, we'd have some heavier rain storms -- but it was beautiful watching it come in while we sat outside on our porch that overlooked the ocean.

The food at Paya Bay is excellent! We ate so much during our stay! Charlie was very accomodating to our needs... even picked us some fresh coconuts to have for dessert. The key lime pie and coconut pies were to die for! Also, make sure you have some lobster -- so fresh! The fresh island picked fruit and oatmeal for breakfast was more than enough to hold us over.

My husband and I love to snorkel -- which is included in your stay. We went to various sites by boat with Tom daily. The reef is absolutely breathtaking. Tom even took us to a local pub after a day of snorkeling. Was great to enjoy a beer and the view, right over the water.

The beaches at Paya Bay are beautifully mantained and private. Most days we felt like we were the only two people in the world. Perfect for a honeymoon!

This hotel is extremely quiet and private... which is exactly what we'd hoped for. If you are looking for some more action -- I'm sure the staff will take you out to West End/Bay for a night of partying.

The only complaint we have is not really the hotel's fault -- more so the government. The electricity is run by diesel generators, which is very costly and detrimental to the environment. The electricity would go off once in a while during the day -- but most of the time we were at the beach or on the boat. So we didn't notice. The hotel owner told us about the electricity issues, and how they have plans to set up a windmill to produce energy. Kudos to them for going green! One more reason for you to book your stay with paya bay...

We will definitely be back, possibly to celebrate our 5 year anniversary!!

• Liked — Beautiful beaches, amazing food!
  • Disliked — Rooms could use a little bit of updating
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
7 Thank roatanlover

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Czech first
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 28 December 2007

If you are looking for a private spot with natural beauty, this is it. We spent 2 weeks in Roatan during the rainy season--4 nights at this 10 room resort. Most tourists stay on the West side of the island--restaurants, bars, etc. We were looking for a quiet end to our vacation. This resort is about an hour drive from the west end, and about a 20 minute drive on unpaved road. We had a small 4 wheel drive (jeep type) and it was not a problem getting there, although it was extremely muddy. The drive was worth it! The grounds have walking trails. There are two beaches and a "private cove" where clothes are optional. This is a family run resort, and they could not be nicer!! The restaurant is very pretty with inside and outside dining--the food is good, not great, and you really do not have many other options of restaurants close by, but the view and the friendliness of the staff made up for it. I would definitely recommend Paya Bay to anyone wanting a truly beautiful spot offering tranquility.

• Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank OtisSacramento
Colorado
Reviewed 24 December 2007

My wife and I stayed at Paya Bay first week of December 2007 and had a great time.

Arrival: Lucio picked us up at the airport and we enjoyed the sights on the ride to the resort. While it is clear you are in another country, most of the signage is in English and it is widely spoken on the island. Lucio speaks mostly Spanish and is happy to play tour guide if you can converse with him. Dirt road section of the trip was a little adventurous, but it became clear as we traveled that we had picked the kind of place we like to go--off the beaten path.

The Resort: As we walked in, Lurlene (owner) greeted us and gave my wife a big hug. We got our choice of rooms (this was low season and we had the resort to ourselves a couple of days and with one other couple the rest of the time). We chose a hilltop room as it was larger with a king sized bed. Rooms are nice with a beach resort feel. Not absolute top of the line, but very comfortable with good linens, plenty of hot water, and comfortable furnishings. Rooms include a mini-fridge with bottled water provided daily. AC works great if you want it. We used it the first night as we got acclimated, then turned it off and were fine the rest of the time (except that we kept the windows open and got some mosquitoes inside--there are no screens).

The Food: Very good, with a local flavor to it. Had the best coconut shrimp I have ever eaten the first night we arrived. Cooks prepare a special or two daily, but there is also a menu to choose from. We went with one of the specials every day and were happy with all the meals but one (just not to our taste). Quantity and quality were very good. Great beans, rice, and plantains to accompany almost every meal and give you a sense of local taste, but you can get good fries if you want them too! I think they stripped their trees picking limes for my "lemonade" (says lemonade on the menu, but it was made with local limes and was phenomenal)--I couldn't get enough. Lunch on a few of the days was "island food"--pork or chicken with delicious spices/sauce. The cooks and wait staff are friendly and after a few days it all starts to feel like home. My wife even invaded the kitchen for a couple cooking lessons with Charles.

The Grounds: Davinci has done a nice job enhancing the physical experience on the property. Li'l Beach is perfect--small, private, sandy bottom. They are improving little grottoes and walking paths out onto the opposite side. The hammock station on the point is perfect for watching the sunset. But be aware--when the sun goes down it gets dark fast and there is limited lighting on the property. You might want to bring a flashlight if you want to spend any time outside at night away from the main buildings. And you will, because the stars are phenomenal. Unlike any night sky I have ever seen. Milky Way is bright and beautiful and the stars are truly numberless. Note of caution--we forgot our bug spray and got eaten the first day there. Sand fleas are endemic to the island, so bring your repellent along if you plan on spending much time on the beaches. They were, however, bearable and we enjoyed walking the grounds, watching the sunset, and spending time at the beach. Even took the kayak out one day for the sunset and had a great time. (There is good snorkeling right off the point of the resort if the seas are calm.)

Entertainment: Essentially none. The beach party night was perfect for us--low key, with the guests, workers, and a few of their family members mingling on the beach for dinner and a Garifuna show. Dancers were good. Power went off (whole island goes down periodically due to one ancient diesel power plant serving all needs). Bonfire, torches and stars were bright and we fell asleep on the lounge chairs at the beach to a gentle island breeze. A sublime evening that was right in line with our tastes. You can watch TV (a few local channels, a couple in English) or borrow a DVD from the office (they also have a few books and board games) . Evenings after dinner are VERY quiet and entertainment is up to you. If you want something more than your companion's company, bring it with you.

The Diving: Outstanding. We have limited experience to compare to (Riviera Maya, Key Largo, and Roatan), but there was plenty of variety in animal life, reef structure, and location to keep us happy all week. Most dive maps show all the dive sites on south and west sides of the island--don't believe them. We dove exclusively on the north side, mostly at sites mapped out by the Paya Bay/Dive Roatan guys, and only saw one other boat the whole time. Plenty of walls, crevices, towers, swim-throughs, etc. to keep us happy. Ben is an excellent instructor and had my wife, who had experienced some anxiety during previous dives, completely comfortable from the first day. I dove in a 3 MM shorty; everybody else on the boat was in a full-length suit (Ben has about .025% body fat) in 80 degree water. We were all comfortable. One negative to north side diving is that we lost a couple of afternoon dives to weather--you are exposed to the winds and sea right off the Caribbean--but that gave us some nice relaxation time at the resort that we did not mind at all. The price/value equation is phenomenal here. We did the diver package through the resort and thought it was a great deal.

The Island: We rented a car one day (arranged by and delivered to the resort--only way to go) and toured the island. Upon our return to the resort, we were convinced we had chosen the right place. West Bay is pretty, West End is touristy, towns on western end of island are nothing special. Eastern side, where Paya Bay is located, is still natural and native. Lush, green, and very, very local. No night life, no restaurants, no nothing but peace and solitude and the comfortably relaxed vibe of the resort. If you want bar-hopping and night life, go to the West End. Nice beach, plenty of options, and lots of other people. If you are comfortable without the crowds, head east. We loved the east side. Took a walk through Camp Bay one day during a surface interval. Jumped rope with some local kids in the street. Enjoyed getting to know the family and locals that worked at the resort a little bit. Most of all, enjoyed being together in a beautiful, quiet setting.

End Result: We loved our week at Paya Bay. By the end of it we felt like part of the family. We loved the people, enjoyed the local experience, and came away blissfully relaxed. This is a locally owned, locally operated resort. It does not look, feel, or act "corporate." If you can handle that, give it a try. If you can't, go to Cancun and leave places like this for the rest of us!

• Stayed December 2007
8 Thank ViajeroColo
Albuquerque, NM
Reviewed 10 December 2007

My husband, seven year old son and I spent a week at Paya Bay and we had a fabulous time. The Lil Beach was perfect for a small child and he and I went down most every morning. The waves are pretty small and there was no turtle grass. My husband went to Paya Bay in order to scuba. Ben the Dive Master and Jim the Boat Master made sure that my beginner (and handicapped) husband had a great experience. On one day, my son and I snorkeled with Jim while the others dived and it was so beautiful. The water was as flat and as clear as glass.

Our room was one of those on the bluffs and travelers need to be aware that the rooms aren’t much. This is a family hotel in a third world country. The view from the balcony however, is worth a million dollars. I sat there for hours watching the clouds, reading and listening to the crash of the waves. If you are looking for a place with a fabulous room this is not for you. The room was more than adequate for what we wanted though; a place to hang out in while enjoying Roatan.

As all reviews for Roatan tell you, the place has bugs and in the summer/fall, trying to sleep with out air conditioning is hard. Paya Bay is very remote and at least 45 minutes to an hour away from the West End. Don’t come here if you are looking for a lot of action or luxury. Come here if you love the water and the beach and want to relax with a person or people that you love.

Everyone at Paya Bay goes out of their way to ensure that you are happy. The food is plentiful and adequate. My husband was disappointed but I figure any meal I do not have to cook is ok by me. On one evening the electricity was out but we were able to see the Milky Way above and the fluorescent jellyfish below.

Look at all the pictures posted on TripAdvisor. Paya Bay really looks like that. An amazing place. We can’t wait to come back and are trying to line up a visit at Christmas 2008.

2 Thank TheCaretaker
Oklahoma
Reviewed 7 October 2007

We recently visited Paya Bay for the second time. We spent our honeymoon there three years ago and always dreamed of returning. This year we decided to rent a beach house between West End and West Bay. While the beach house was beautiful, it didn't have the magic Paya Bay has. After being bitten by sand flies, sharing our cabaña with the locals, and eating marginal meals in West End, we decided to head to Paya Bay for the day. Our intentions were to have lunch and lounge on the beautiful beaches. After the long trek across the island, we were ready for a nice cold beer. Driving up to Paya Bay was like coming home. We immediately felt we had made a huge mistake by renting a house. We ate lunch and talked with Lurlene and Charles. We drove back to West End gave up our beach house and spent the rest of the week at Paya. I ended up with food poisoning from West End and the staff at Paya were wonderful! Charles made me a special soup while Connie made me herbal tea. I felt better as was able to go to Karaoke that night. I cannot
recommend Paya Bay enough. It will always be a special place for us. If you are looking for a relaxing atmosphere with great food and cold drinks, come to Paya. It is truly a magical place.

FYI....
...if you are interested in exploring the island, do not hesitate to rent a car. Roatan is a safe environment to explore on your own. Stop by the Iguana Farm, Carambola Gardens, and make sure you have lunch at The View. Be aware, gas prices will range between $4-$5 per gallon.

If you want to fish, stick with Paya Bay. Do not use Mad Max fishing charters (West End/West Bay) unless you want to watch your guide catch all the fish.

If you leave Paya Bay, make sure you drink bottled water. If you are at a local resturant, make sure the ice, smoothies, or other drinks are made with filtered water. Do not drink the local tap water. Most resturants abide by this. Rudy's in West End does not. One more tip. Be ready to pay the same as U.S. prices on food, beer or any other goods. The islands are much more expensive than the mainland.

Have fun!

• Liked — The treatment of the staff, food, drinks, and the beach party!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JKOOklahoma
San Francisco
Reviewed 20 September 2007

The Paya Bay property is set gracefully into the coastline on the north side of Roatan. It's a pretty place with lots of good views and two beaches.

The service and amenities are informal and comfortable; it's run by a family who made me feel welcome and cared for. Of course, September is super-low season, so it was easy to get personal attention (even from the resort puppy Lucky)!

The north coast is pretty remote and entertainment is low-key. Diving seems to be the main attraction. I enjoyed the snorkeling a lot, but low season meant that the dive-master was out of the country, so I have no first-hand knowledge of that. I'd go back to find out.

Getting there was easy from California's Bay Area. It took about 8 hours, but only one change of plane.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled solo
Houston
Reviewed 9 September 2007

My family and I stayed for 2wks and i can tell you that the time there was way above our expectations. We have a 10 month, 2, 14 and 17 yrs old and the family run operation went out of their way to make our stay comfortable as well as taking care of any extra requests we made of them. We had so many different levels of needs/wants regarding our kids.
Lurlene, Mervin, (the Mom and Pop owners) and Tom, Sharlene, and Davinci (their adult children) kept them all busy and happy. From snokeling to the breathtaking scuba diving to just swimming on one of the two beaches on the property everyone had fun. We went into town a couple of times and did some of the things that the family suggested, like the zip line down island and we went to Gumba Limba Park. This level of customer service is hard to find these days and this family vacation will be remembered for a long time to come.

Stayed August 2007