To begin with, let me say that Paya Bay is probably one of the prettiest resorts on the island and offers many options for all types of people. We went to Roatan to look for property and knew that spending the whole week there would be wasteful this time, so decided to just book one night as we didnt want to miss the experience of staying there. We drove up there on Sunday and booked for Thursday at the recommendation of the proprietor Lurlene, as there were dancers coming then. (We were going to book for Wedsnesday night). We were showed by Marie the room we were going to get, Room 1....right over the ocean...beautiful room with a balcony over the sea. THE reason we wanted to book there in the first place. We were so excited as it was also Naturist week and we wanted to share that experience as well. We left our names and local phone number as requested.
On Thursday we drove up (gravel road into the area BTW) and checked in. Was given a welcome drink which was a nice touch BUT when we were taken to our room...it was NOT what we booked. It did not have the same view, same atmosphere, same balcony etc...it just was inferior to what we RESERVED. We went back to the desk and told them we were not happy with the switch and wanted our reservation honored. We were told that a HONDURAN couple walked in the day before and was given our reserved room, "so sorry.".
WELL.....we were so disappointed and quite upset with their cavalier attitude, I stated that any room on that line was not acceptable (they offered a room further down next to the local help quarters and with an obstucted view of the sea. I said that those rooms should not cost the same but was told "well they are all the same price"....I was quite upset that they did not offer any discount for the inferior room as they clearly admitted to making the mistake of giving the room away to someone else. They did not offer for us to stay the day at least to use the facilities, nor even a discount on dinner that we would be buying...nothing to make up for the mistake manangement made. It was just an "oh well" take it or leave it......so we left it .
Do not book rooms 5-8 at least...the only rooms to book are 1-4....and even if they confirm a room, be ready for the Im sorry at check in..........was it a case of mismanagement or just taking care of their own.....I dont know....but if this is the way tourists are dealt with there, I do not recommend you to stay there as its way out on its own and you definitely need a car to get off the premises to anywhere else.
We were so very disappointed in Paya Bay management.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Paya Bay Beach Resort is Roatan's Ultimate Escape. Located on the pristine east end, it is Roatan's premier boutique hotel. Perched atop a bluff with private beaches on each side, Paya Bay features 10 uniquely designed rooms and an amazing restaurant. Paya Bay's on-site dive operation, Dive Roatan, specializes in underwater tours and training for one to ten divers. Paya Bay also offers: flats fishing, boat tours, hiking and of course relaxation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Booking.com so you can book your Paya Bay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paya Bay Hotel Roatan
- Paya Bay Beach Dive Hotel
- Paya Bay Beach Dive Resort
- Paya Bay Resort Roatan, Honduras - Bay Islands