“Will take months to digest the fun that I had at PBR”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Paya Bay Resort

Paya Bay Resort
Ranked #20 of 41 Hotels in Roatan
Prince George, B.c.
“Will take months to digest the fun that I had at PBR”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

I just want to express my appreciation of my recent stay at your resort.
I went there for the Yoga and for seamless tanning; it was the most wonderful few days I have had in years. incl. snorkeling, Pigeon Cays, hiking, star gazing, kayaking, boat jumping & Zen walks.
All staff were professional, facility/beaches top notch and the food was superb.

Your taxi driver (Jose) was a pleasure; I felt very safe with him as a driver!
Couple small points:
Prepare that the taxi may become a bus service to the locals; in supporting the community,
I should've had them write down their exchange rate used for the final bill conversion, and
Maybe bring ear plugs for the inland rooms, sometimes the dogs can be noisy during the night.

Special thanks to Brook & Fernandez for the activities and energy they gave to your place.

Hope to be back next Year

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank dragonlady56

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Czech first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

My wife and I stayed at Paya Bay for 7 nights as part of their Relaxation package. We had a fabulous time, much needed de-stresser and re-charging. As this was a package - everything was included - meals, snorkeling, snacks and beautiful room overlooking the crashing waves.
There were no hidden-charges upon checkout which others seemed to point out - there is a Honduran tourist tax which is applied everywhere in Honduras. The driver was fabulous picking us up from the Airport within minutes of our arrival and we did not find the dirt road to the resort very bumpy.......and it was only a few minutes on the dirt road.
All the staff were gracious and attentive. We especially appreciated Fernando and Brooke who took us to Pigeon Caye, Brooke also is the yoga teacher and gives a great massage.
Eric, Charlotte and the rest of the staff always had a smile - Eric even joined us for a kayaking trip.
The owners, Lurlene and her son, DaVinci were incredibly welcoming and warm.
Tom was fabulous taking us to snorkeling spots every day - if you want excursions with a knowledgeable guide then you should ask at the front desk. We were happy enough to just get dropped off where there are some cool coral reefs with Tom.
We definitely want to come back - maybe spend a night or two in West Bay to see the other side of the Island.

Room Tip: If you like hearing the ocean waves then ask for the cliff-side rooms.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Swanny500
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at Paya Bay for 5 nights over our Christmas break and were SO happy we selected this location. It is pure paradise! It is a very small resort, which is definitely not everyone's style, but it definitely is ours. About 45 minutes from the airport, it is a bumpy dirt road drive to get to the resort grounds but I am pretty sure some of the reviewers here who complained the ride was sooo terrible must live a very sheltered life, because it was a fairly standard dirt road and our driver Jose traversed it great. Definitely stop at the market to pickup supplies, drinks, extra food, etc. as there is literally nothing else around besides the restaurant at the hotel (which is really good, however offers a limited selection menu that gets tiring to eat at after several days, when you have tried everything and are on second rounds). When we pulled up to the resort my jaw literally dropped and I knew without a doubt we picked the right spot. It is a BEAUTIFUL resort. We were welcomed with delightful drinks and amazingly friendly staff. They took care of our bags and gave us a short tour, and everything was perfect right from the get go. As far as Latin America goes, this is a hugely nice resort, and the rates they charge are a steal for what you get. We stayed in Cliffside room #4 and it was spectacular (also, p.s. to those who complained about the noise of the waves...are you serious?! You do know what the ocean is right? Come on!) The private deck of the rooms goes out over the cliff and has a gorgeous view of the water, we were totally in love with the view from our room, as well as the comfy setup of the wood floors, soft white sheets on the bed and great little mini-fridge and TV. The rooms are spacious and the only noise we ever heard was the ocean. Then we walked around the grounds. Wow!! There are little paths leading all over the bay, taking you to several hidden coves and two larger whitesand beaches and the whole time we were there, most places were hugely unpopulated. There was one little cove with two reclining chairs that we were the only two people at every single time we went there, it was so amazing! The resort is very quiet, extremely peaceful and they really cater to the guests, helping you book scuba, excursions, or anything else you may want.

Paya Bay offers a wide selection of DVDs you can borrow, books you can loan out and even free calling to the US from the front desk, which was great for us to call home for Christmas. They provide great yoga sessions twice a day, that can come in a package or be purchased individually, totally try it, the yoga facility is awesome! All of the staff members we came in contact with were so friendly and helpful from the cooks to servers, to room cleaners to the front desk and the drivers, it was fantastic! There are breathtaking views everywhere you go, it really was just beautiful there.

What pushed my otherwise 5 star reviews down to 4? Two complaints, despite awesome email responses prior to our leaving for our trip with Michelle, who was extremely helpful, I had emailed her upon our return to the states to get a copy of our bill since the charges were more than we expected, and NEVER HEARD BACK. Ever. I actually emailed twice, once at the beginning of the month and once at the end, thinking she might have taken some time off or whatnot after the Christmas and New Year rush, and it was radio silence, so I was very unimpressed with the lack of response (and still pretty sure something was up with our final bill since the copy I did end up finding at our house was about $50 lower than what was posted to our credit card statement). The other complaint was the ants. Not little sugar ants but large ants all over our room. I spent about 20 minutes every night walking around with a flipflop and papertowel, smashing ants and wiping up the remains, which was pretty gross. I know it was not due to cleanliness, as it’s a tropical island that is very humid with lots of bugs, so not overly surprised they got into our room, it was still just frustrating. The only other partial complaint is the variety of dinner and lunch options, it would be nice to have some variety but I get that it is a very small resort and probably not cost effective or possible to carry a huge amount of food inventory because they do not have a ton of guests staying. Also I would not recommend the massage service - despite the therapists being amazingly friendly and putting together a lovely coconut drink for us at the end, the actual massage was pretty terrible. I would just say to save your money to spend on the awesome yoga classes with the best view of any yoga facility I have ever seen!

We came to Paya Bay hoping and expecting rest and relaxation and our expectations of the place were exceeded, we were completely blown away with the place, we absolutely loved it and would not hesitate to come back. I have been raving about it since our return…love love love it!!

Room Tip: Cliffside rooms are the only way to go!
9 Thank GlobeTrottingPanda
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

In our exploration of Roatan, we wandered over to Paya Bay to “check it out”. We had a good lunch by the pool (fish sandwich/salad) and then explored the many trails on the property. The owners have done a great job creating an oasis where you can find your zen spot; be it in chairs under the palapa on the cliffs (which I loved) or on one of the 3 beaches (including a nude beach). I really liked the vibe of the place and could stay for several days here but you are very secluded from the rest of Roatan life. I cannot comment on the rooms but it did appear there was some roof maintenance going on while we were there. Definitely a great day trip!

1 Thank vacationloverOh
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

Very nice location on the unspoiled Eastern part of Roatan. Familiar atmosphere. Restaurant food/service needs improvement. Rooms are basic but cute. Go for one of the four "Cliff Rooms", unless the sound of breaking waves on the rocks disturb your sleep. Better to have your own all-terrain car to explore the nearby beautiful and uncrowded beaches.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Egil4
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

After travels in Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Mexico and Belize, Roatan is one of my favorite. The Paya Bay resort is the best resort I have stayed in with well kept rooms and facilities. It's an amazing intimate place far from the big tourists resorts and cruises. Nice, very friendly, eager to help staff. Fernando, Brooke and Jose are particularly nice people and great addition to the staff who make you feel at welcomed and at home as soon as you meet them (and never forget to bring hammocks). Lots of activities (kayaking, swimming, yoga, massage) and great places to see (Pigeon cay's and Oak Ridge). Agree with another reviewer here "Wherever you are the view is magnificent.". Especially the view from the Yoga place in the morning.

Room Tip: The rooms seemed to have been renovated recently (2013), some of my family members were staying in s...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Francois C
Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

Paya Bay is a hidden gem off the beaten track. Located on the Eastern end of the island, it is away from the busy-ness of West End and the more generic, US-style resorts of West Bay. What really sets Paya Bay apart is the freindliness and happiness of the staff. The owners are Roatan natives, rather than North Americans who have decided to try their hand at making a buck in paradise, and the difference shows. Food is wholesome, and plentiful (we booked an all-inclusive deal), and suitable to all palates, nothing wild or extravagant- so if you are a foodie, don't come expecting to be blown away. The rooms are lovely, with interesting ins and outs. There are some oddities that remind you you are not in the US, but I choose to look at them as unique charm, and not a negative. After all, if you wanted to be in a US resort, you'd have already booked your trip to Disney, right? Geckos chuckle in the evenings, and the view from the rooms overlooking the bays are spectacular, changing throughout the day as the lighting changes. My favorite was to watch thunderstorms come in (we came during the rainy season, which was really wonderful, rain and sun every day was a beautiful combination) from our balcony, or from the beautiful deck out front of the cliff side restaurant/reception area. a hand crafted Yoga studio overlooking the water is nestled in the jungle, and Yoga with Brooke as dusk turned into night was a magical and peaceful experience.
Without a doubt, the crown jewel of Paya Bay are the private beaches and walking paths. Located in the clothing optional area of the resort, their are beautiful alcoves and nature areas scattered about the property, each one more peaceful and beautiful than the last.
My stay there was wonderful, and re-centered me after a hectic week prior. I left the resort relaxed, and happy for my experiences, looking forward to returning in the near future!

Room Tip: Rooms 1-4 are built overhanging the bay. Rooms 5-8 are at the top of the hill.
3 Thank Keith C