We spent a week at Paya Bay Resort at the end of March. It is a beautiful quiet resort on the remote north east end of Roatan. The only resort in that area. Rooms are very adequate. Ours was right on the ocean front with A/C and ceiling fan, small fridge,private bath and small porch. The rooms cool down well in the evening and we only needed to use the AC once. The restaurant is very nice and the food was excellent. Beer is ice cold. Coffee is available all day from the time the restaurant opens in the morning and I must say that the Honduran coffee is the best I've tasted. Staff was very helpful and friendly. There are two beautiful beaches. We preferred the small west beach which we had to ourselves most of the time. Excellent swimming. The diving operation is very well run. The grounds are very scenic with lots of flowers and plants. The resort is spotless.
Although it is at the far end of Roatan, the trip from the airport took only 45 minutes by car and the drive is very scenic. At some points along the road you are several hundred feet up and can see both the north and south shorlines several miles away and far below. The resort arranged the shuttle transportation from and to the airport. No waiting. Our ride was there waiting for us when we arrived.
I heard a lot about sand flies before our trip. I was on the beach every day, did not use any repellent and did not get bit once. My wife brought repellent and used it and of course did not get bitten either. They appear to be less of a problem on this part of the island.
A previous review stated there were no beach lounges. The resort has built their own lounges(wood) and they now have them for use on the beaches. Highly recommend this resort to anyone looking for a great diving vacation or a peaceful week of sunbathing, swimming, snorkling.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Paya Bay Beach Resort is Roatan's Ultimate Escape. Located on the pristine east end, it is Roatan's premier boutique hotel. Perched atop a bluff with private beaches on each side, Paya Bay features 10 uniquely designed rooms and an amazing restaurant. Paya Bay's on-site dive operation, Dive Roatan, specializes in underwater tours and training for one to ten divers. Paya Bay also offers: flats fishing, boat tours, hiking and of course relaxation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Paya Bay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paya Bay Hotel Roatan
- Paya Bay Beach Dive Hotel
- Paya Bay Beach Dive Resort
- Paya Bay Resort Roatan, Honduras - Bay Islands