“A hidden roatan beach”
Review of Hobbies Hideaway

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Roatan
Hobbies Hideaway
tennessee
“A hidden roatan beach”
Reviewed 21 October 2007

We are avid divers and love to fish. We researched Roatan as it had both to offer. We searched the internet and found what we thought would be a great vacation area. Hobbies Hideaway. We were pleasantly surprised by Sue and her husband John. Both were very informative about the different dive areas. They directed us to all the dive operators and really helped us explore the beautiful island. Our room turned out to be a beautiful apartment. Looking out at the beach and reef was very relaxing. We did serveral dives in the town of West End. John provided us with snorkeling equipment. and we were really surpised at the amount of Marine life just a short swim from the beach front. I will recommend Hobbies Hideaway to all. We had a great time. Nicole Rivero, Murfreesboro, Tenn.

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank nikkiroxs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Ormond Beach, Florida
Reviewed 2 October 2007

If you like to vacation at a place like you are staying at a good neighbor’s home, Hobbies Hide-Away is the place. John/Sue are very hospitable.

As a native South Floridian and spending over 30 years fishing/diving the Keys, it is great to come to a similar place minus the commercialization.

I spent most mornings and evenings stalking-catching bonefish in the back yard. Most afternoons were spent skin diving. Skin diving is sufficient, even if you dive north of the reef where it drops off rapidly (25’-? Blue H20). To dive the wrecks you will want to go with scuba. If you are serious about underH20 photography I will suggest going with scuba. I had a tough time shooting even in 8’ of H20. I had one hand on my Nikonos the other on rocks to steady myself and holding my breath.

Accommodations’ were great. The place is fairly new, extremely clean and the AC blows cold!! With efficiency apartments and a bar/restaurant (food was great) on the premises, West End is not a necessity-but West End is nice for a change.

I am looking forward walking the flats for the elusive Silver Ghost (Bonefish) again. And since the Grady-White is in the H20 now, I’ve got to go trolling next time.

Things to bring: Fly rod or light spinner, land and sea camera-plenty of film or memory cards, skin dive equipment or rent from John/Sue and the typical tropical necessities.

Only negative is the sand fleas. Just make sure you have your bug spray. John/Sue always have some on hand just in case.

John/Sue can take care of most of your needs-internet, wash/dry, etc. I highly recommend Hobbies Hide-Away!!!!!!

I'll be back for my third visit soon,
Tony

• Liked — Down Home Atmosphere
  • Disliked — Sand Fleas
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank CUDA68
new york, ny
Reviewed 14 September 2007

I was looking for a place off the beaten path where I could relax and unwind... what I found was a home away from home.

The property is very laid back and everyone was so friendly by the time I left I felt like family! Evenings were be spent stargazing on the dock, hanging out at the bar/restaurant laughing with Sue, Chris and Kathy, or out in West End (even though it's only about a 2$ cab ride, see if Sue can call Denny the cab driver for ya).

At night a local crowd at the bar usually trickles in later in the week, but everyday was quiet. If you find yourself looking for something to do ask John to snorkel with you out to the reef and show you around. You can also help Hondo (the dog) search around for land crabs, or try Pura Vida dive shop in West End… although a short swim off the property’s dock out to the reef lets you experience a ton of sea life.

My room was equipped with a/c, a full size kitchen, microwave and toaster, and John was kind enough to take me along on his trips to Coxen Hole where I was able to buy groceries for the month. Try out the crock-pot too, pour some BBQ sauce over a salted, peppered pork loin, add a little vinegar and go diving for the day. 10 hours later, viola, BBQ Pork sandwiches. If you’re not up for preparing food, try Kathy’s fish special or the conch fritters and top if off with a Monkey LaLa made by Chris (the world’s sweetest bartender… except when he calls me ‘Mam’).

The only negative: bring bug spray and don’t put your towel in the sand (but that’s true for the whole island). Other than that if you are looking for an inexpensive place to relax and enjoy friendly company.... this is certainly the spot. I will be back, and soon!! Thank you John, Sue, Kathy and Chris!

• Liked — The friendly atmosphere
  • Disliked — The sea grass in the beach out front
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
orlando, florida
Reviewed 21 June 2007

We stayed at Hobbies Hideaway June 9th-16th, 2007. Look closely for the hotel's sign on the fence by the road, our cabbie drove right by it (at breakneck speed) and it took us 45 minutes to find Hobbies. Once there, we got a nice hello from John (Hobbie) and his wife Sue and were shown to our room, which turned out to be a small apartment (big kitchen, eating area, bedroom, large bathroom w/shower). Our room was 3 feet (literally) from the bar/restuarant. No problem with that, if the bar got a little "rowdy" and we wanted to sleep, we shut our bedroom door and could not hear a thing. If you are looking for a high end, luxery type of place, than you need to look elsewhere. This was a basic accomidation but for the "low" season price of only $30 dollars a day (yes, thirty dollars!), you cannot go wrong staying here. Be sure to have the coconut shrimp, the shrimp in this area are HUGE and this entree could easily serve two people. We went to the grocery store in French Harbour and stocked up on rum & soda and breakfast type stuff (the apartment has a full size fridge). We found the prices for food and drink to be quite inexpensive. Beware that Roatan is extremely buggy, lots of mosquitoes, flies, no-see-ums, bring plenty of bug spray with DEET. We had a nice week at Hobbies and recommend it to anyone on a budget.

Stayed June 2007