“GREAT STAFF” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 41 Hotels in Roatan
Ontario
“GREAT STAFF”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

Staff: Can’t say enough good stuff about the staff in general. It was nice to be at a resort where you get amazing service without having to tip first. Kimberley was wonderful, anything we required she took care of for us. She made sure I was getting enough food to eat and arranged for a birthday cake for my boyfriend. When she couldn’t get us a cab to West End, because the cruise ships were in and no cabs were available to come to our resort, she called her dad and he took us on short notice. She really did take care of us and we appreciated it.
Rooms: We were in #8 which was quiet and simple with a beautiful view of the ocean and gardens from the balcony. The safe didn’t work when we arrived which was a big issue for me. We have travel documents, ID, an ipod, cel phones, borrowed camera and cash and credit cards. I wasn’t comfortable with them just lying around in the room. It took a lot more complaining then I felt was necessary to get it fixed but by early afternoon the next day it was ready to use. Rooms are basic and very clean, that’s good enough for me, and I don’t spend a lot of time hanging out in the room. The rooms could use a good coat of fresh paint but other than that, were good.
Food: For a small resort there was a good selection. Since I have a limited diet (no beef, pork, poultry, dairy or gluten) it got a bit repetitive for me but Rob was very happy. There was fish or seafood every day for both lunch and dinner. The romantic candle light meal on the dock was a bit disappointing. This was Rob’s birthday and I had ordered a cake as a surprise. The selection of food wasn’t all that good and it was cold. They were supposed to serve Rob his birthday cake and it never arrived until the next night. One thing they don’t explain upfront is that some of the liquor isn’t included. I ordered a Bailey’s one night and it cost me $6 plus 15% taxes. The a la carte food was an extra charge also. Dinner started at 7 and this was a bit late for us.
Diving: I only did one dive because I got severe leg cramps that caused my Planter Fasciitis to flare up but for me that dive was 4 out of 10. Rob did 3 dives in total and side there wasn’t too much to see. We talked to other divers who said the diving was ok but not what they expected. We were told the diving was exceptional, I saw way more wildlife in the Cayman Islands and Cozumel than in Roatan.
Snorkeling: I had read a couple reviews that said the reef was right out front of the resort. Well it is, about a ½-3/4 mile out and I wasn’t going to get in a sea kayak and venture out there. We did take a trip through the mangroves and we recommend taking the time to do that, it was very interesting. We spent an afternoon at the Fantasy Island Resort on the south shore snorkeling. It’s only a 15 minute ride and once again the staff took care of us. They called ahead to get the price for a day pass and got us a ride there and back. The snorkeling at Fantasy is awesome, there is a wall you can shore dive or snorkel and a sunken ship and plane just in the bay. We didn’t get out to see the ship or plane because the water was a bit too choppy that afternoon but the wall is sheltered and it was great snorkeling. You could stand in most places.
The resort is very remote, small (25-30 rooms), quiet, pretty and the beach is extremely small. I like to run and walk for miles along a beach and all I could do was a continuous loop which got boring. On the plus side it was very quiet and you could really relax. But I’m the type that by afternoon I’m ready to socialize and there weren’t very many people around. Most tourists were die-hard scuba divers and would be out for 3 dives a day, so the beach would be deserted. I found that the beach was a little dirty the first couple days we were there and then it was cleaned up for a wedding and the arrival of some non-diving guests. I’d like to see the beach pristine, especially one that small. When I say small it took 3 loops of the beach and dock to make a kilometer. The resort grounds are well kept, the gardens are beautiful but the buildings need a good cleaning and a fresh coat of paint.
BUGS: Bring bug spray and WEAR it all day every day. I even found the bugs would get you in the outdoor dining area. I found the Avon Bug Guard worked better than the Deep Woods Off. If you don’t use the spray be prepared to have a reaction that varies from itchy to welting and very itchy! On me they bites immediately blistered and got itchy and I only had a handful. Rob didn’t use bug spray very often and was ok until the last 2 days when he got itchy and it lasted 3-4 days.
Overall this was a solid “good” resort, 3.5 out of 5.

Room Tip: Room 8 is supposed to be garden view but it has a nice view of gardens and ocean. Stay away from ro...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

I bought a 4nt pkg to turquoise bay on Groupon. It was a beautiful location with very comfortable rooms and an awesome beach. Staff was very nice and we didn't want for anything during our stay..BUT - what I didn't know was that it was way out in the middle of nowhere and you totally depended on the resort for your meals and activities unless you wanted to take a cab half an hour away, so if you didn't purchase their meal plan you were pretty much screwed.. they did however only charge me $15 for my 11yr old son which I appreciated. Could be a great place for a romantic getaway but if you have kids they will become bored quickly

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rommama
TAYLOR TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

We just returned from our fourth cruise that stopped in Roatan, our favorite island. While there we took a beach day trip to Turquoise Bay Resort, our first time there.It is a beautiful place, and so peaceful compared to the many other beach breaks we have done.They picked us up at Mahogany Bay where our ship docked right on time.The 30 minute ride is very interesting and scenic.The staff is very friendly, the food is good, and the Port Royal beer is my favorite..I e-mailed Kimberly, who is in charge of reservations, and all went smoothly.If you want to get away from the crowds, vendors, and blarring music,this is the place for you. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Pembroke, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

My wife and I are new to SCUBA. This was our first dive trip (see review Subway Water Sports). We enjoyed a 2 week stay at Turquoise Bay Resort. Advertised as a "Dive and Beach Resort", that is what you will find. The beach is small, the bay is nice for swimming and some exploring, but mainly a weedy bottom. We heard about sand fleas, experienced some bites, and dealt with the issue with tanning oil, or time at the pool rather than the beach. This is not a large resort with swim up bar, large pools, music pumping, multiple restaurants...if that is what you are looking for keep searching.
If you are looking for a quiet dive resort with a beautiful gardens and views, clean spacious rooms, friendly staff, good food, and a friendly atmosphere then you may want to visit.
We had requested a King size bed which wasn't available upon arrival, but was within 2 days. The first room had two doubles, and we certainly would have survived. It was on 2nd floor of a structure near the main building and dive shop. The second room was a 47 step climb to the top of the property. We were rewarded with a balcony view of the Caribbean Sea sunset each night. We really did not want to leave.
Food: The food was very good, with an obvious repetition of the menu when here for 2 weeks. Lots of fresh fruit, cereals, fresh eggs/omelets, pastas, chicken, pork, sea food... My wife is not a sea food/fish fan, yet was satisfied. Awesome pasta night with choices of shrimp/chicken & sauces.
Service: Excellent for the most part with a very personable staff. Either someone left the kitchen week 2, or Nebraskan's eat more than Californian's as they seemed to struggle slightly in keeping the food coming (buffet/1 restaurant). It always arrived eventually/never hungry. We dealt with this by becoming good friends with Roque who makes his margaritas with fresh lime juice "always" (stand in line or...)
Pool: The pool was spotless, warm, and set next to the restaurant with a deck offering views of the bay. As small as it was, it was never busy. We often were the only ones there during the day. Most activity was evening while awaiting 7pm dinner, as divers enjoyed a beverage and shared stories of the day on the reef.
No fitness - should have brought my treadmill. As runners, that is all we missed. The terrain and main highway were not conducive to runners (at least 50 year old ones!)
Definitely a great time, recommended. We may return.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Lewistown, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

Returned recently from a dive trip in which I spent over a week at Turquoise Bay Resort. Upon arriving I admired the beauty of the area. I have never been on a trip where the temp of about 80 degrees was so comfortable for the duration of the trip. Besides the beauty of the landscape, the meals were very good and all personnel at the resort were friendly and accommodating. The atmosphere of the resort made the stay very relaxing. Also the adjoining dive facility, Subway Sports, ran a excellent operation. All personnel at this shop were helpful, knowledgeable and fun to dive with. The diving and resort atmosphere made this a memorable trip. One does need to take and use insect repellent for the "no seum's", sand fleas. I took it, used on legs and ankles which worked great. However, did not put on upper body and payed for it. I like smaller, quaint places to visit and this was a great fit for me.

Room Tip: I had a room in the newer two story area which had larger rooms near the dive shop which was good as...
1 Thank Bob B B
Stevensville, Montana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

traveled here in mid-February with 36 others from cold (-20 when we left) snowy Montana for a week of diving. We weren't disappointed. 80 degrees both on shore and in the water. Swaying palms, Crystal clear turquoise blue waters and the only white was the sand on the beach.
Beginning with our reception at the airport throughout the entire week the staff went out of their way to insure that our stay was a positive experience. There was not one of them that didn't know our names by the second day and they bent over backwards to accommodate us. I felt spoiled
The meals were superb. Don't know how we managed not to gain wait. Could have been the three dives a day.
The resort is in a beautiful location, well kept with quick access to dive locations.

Room Tip: I believe all the rooms are very nice and it just depends on how close you want to be to the main lo...
1 Thank Bill M
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

Our room was spacious. It was little worn for the price but the food was awesome and their beach is fantastic. The staff is accommodating and kind. You can swim right out in the ocean, no need to hang at the pool. Very comfortable place to be.

1 Thank welikecabobest