For one week at the end of April 2014, our group of 50 divers from the Academy of Scuba in Phoenix, AZ "took over" the Turquoise Bay Resort. Being this was AOS's first large group trip, we weren't sure what to expect, especially as we did not choose the location or the resort, but, truly, we were blown away by the staff and accommodations at the Turquoise Bay Resort.
We were picked up at the airport by staff, and when our baggage taken from us, we were handed beer or water. Hello, vacation! Upon arriving at the resort, our bags were deposited at our rooms. Very nice!
The location is about 45 minutes from the West End (and approximately 30 minutes from the airport) give or take. But once you are on the resort, you have little reason to leave, and it is very close to excellent dive sites by boat (~1 to West End spots, ~5-10 minutes to excellent reef and Dolphin's Den).
The rooms are grouped kind of like bungalows. To get to them, you walk along pretty little manicured trails through lush landscaping, all while admiring the tropical view of the oceanfront property. Our rooms were very nice--tile floors (great for sand and diving), comfortable beds with linens that are all washed regularly (no old comforters, just crisp white linens), closet, safe, dresser, desk, coffee maker, tv, etc. The bathrooms had large floor to ceiling tiled showers. And the balconies and room (ours was #11) had great views of the ocean from every window! We also had internet access in both our rooms and the restaurant/lounge, and the A/C kept the room nice and cool.
The food was all-inclusive, and we were served buffets for every meal. All of the food was really good. Every meal had local choices as well as American standards, and there was always tons of fresh fruit and salad fixings. Typically, there was also someone making things fresh, whether that be grilled meats or fish, a pasta station, or an omelet station. The food was always varied and tasty, and I was pleased all week long. The selection of alcohols and mixed drinks was also excellent. Try the Monkey La La -- you will not be disappointed!
The pool was also excellent and kept sparkling clean. There are plenty of places to lie around on the pool deck or down on the beach. On the beach, which is always raked and clean, are tons of chairs and hammocks to relax in under palapas. There is also a long deck out on the ocean. Plenty of snorkeling is available right off the beach, and the water is calm, clear, and warm.
Above all, however, the staff is excellent and always willing to serve. Alejandro (Alex) was always quick to arrange any activity needed and even accompanied us on some to make sure everything went smoothly. The activity selection was varied (we tried the Dolphin Encounter--great!), and the resort can arrange easy transportation with super nice drivers. We even got out to the West End of Roatan with ease. Massages could be arranged even last minute for in your room. The restaurant staff was also always ready to serve -- Pablo would always appear at my side as soon as I sat down to arrange for drinks and any other items I may need. Dining was either outside or in, with tables on patios or in the air-conditioned dining room. Our beach bbqs were great with local entertainment and candle-lighted walk ways and tables. The resort was always clean, the service always quick and pleasant, and they really cared that we had a nice time! They would do "extras" too, like decorate our room with flowers. They always put flowers around our tables in the dining area, as well.
I am doing a separate review of Subway Watersports, the on-site dive location, but needless to say the diving was amazing and the shop was also equally amazing! Their dive staff truly went above and beyond, and they are comparable to any top dive shop around the world.
If you are looking for a dive vacation, or even just a beach getaway, in Roatan, look no further. This resort will give you plenty of things to do both under and above the sea, for divers and non-divers alike, couples, families or groups of friends.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on Roatan's Northeast shore Turquoise Bay is the only dive resort in this lush and remote area of the island providing you with the opportunity to dive uncrowded, pristine dive sites. The resort is set on a hillside with spectacular ocean views and a protected bay which makes the water calm and perfect for swimming and kayaking. Beach lovers will enjoy our private, tranquil, 500 ft white-sand beach.At Turquoise Bay Dive & Beach Resort you will enjoy the very individual and personal service that only a small dive resort can offer. Our friendly local staff takes pride in getting to know our guests and making them feel at home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotel.de, Hotels.com, Booking.com and Travel Republic (UK) so you can book your Turquoise Bay Dive & Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Turquoise Bay Hotel Roatan
- Turquoise Bay Roatan
- Turquoise Bay Dive & Beach Resort Roatan, Honduras - Bay Islands