“Loved everything except the bugs.”

Turquoise Bay Dive & Beach Resort
Ranked #11 of 41 Hotels in Roatan
Westmount, Quebec
“Loved everything except the bugs.”
Reviewed 1 March 2011

My husband and I just returned from 2 weeks at the Turquoise Bay Resort. We were amazed by the quality of the food, really liked our room with a view of the ocean and the sunsets, the diving and snorkling were first-rate, the staff was attentive and friendly, and the rooms were clean.

What we really didn't like were the bugs. We had rain for the first 5 days of our 2-week holiday, and while we were expecting sand flies and mosquitoes, we weren't expecting so many of them. The hotel staff did spray, but the rain washed all the spray away before it could do anything.

We were the oldest guests at the hotel (late 60's), but because it is small and intimate and friendly, we felt very comfortable with all the other guests. After a couple of days everyone is on a first name basis, which means that if you aren't diving or snorkling there is always someone to talk to if you wish.

After our return we discussed going back, and, with several cans of bug spray we will definitely return to Turquoise Bay.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Spike9

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Reviewed 26 February 2011

Well I can tell you this you will not be disappointed especially if you learn the ropes...What I mean by that statement is turquoise bay is located in the middle of the Island...when others say tranquility peace and quiet that is exactly what you get in a nice relaxing enjoyable sense. However going to west end or west bay...where most of the activity is, the taxi ride away and may cost 25.00 - 40.00 each way, but cab drivers normally can be negotiated down to 15.00 - 20.00. However, the resort many times a day will schedule picking up employees or transporting people to or from the airport which resort driver Delon Washington and resort front desk staff was always happy to arrange and at least take you to their destination. Often you may have to catch a cab from there but from the airport to west end cost about 5.00 and that is the price outside the airport fence flagging down a taxi, because inside the fence is going to be 3-4 times higher.
As far as the resort accommodations and amenities activities:
You have one of the islands most beautiful beaches many of times all to yourself. The no see ums were not a big problem as the beach is treated, occasionally you may notice a red dot, but not allot of complaints ( a scalding hot shower and vinegar is what the locals suggest). The view from most of the rooms is spectacular and I would highly recommend asking for an ocean view room close to the beach. There is no waiting on kayaks as they are readily available and for free. The rooms are cleaned daily with fresh linen and filtered drinking water is provided. Most of the guests were on meal plan that we did not participate in, however breakfast was very good and most of the other meals were enjoyable. The wait staff is great sometimes slower than you might otherwise expect, but that just the island way. Harris arranged a pizza to be delivered from one of the nearby towns and Pedro was pouring my morning coffee in a larger mug, while we were enjoying the outdoor seating option.
Some entertainment:
I like to fish and caught many small fish off the points at the resort with my fly rod also nightly or most nights some form of entertainment is provided - a fire show, band, Garfuna tribe dance, but most enjoyable was every Wednesday night is Karaoke… It’s a hoot, most are locals and you’re welcome to join in, they are not American idle singers but after a few drinks you start thinking my voice as bad as it is, is not so bad….
Subway dive shop is next door and very professional. Snorkeling rental was 7.00 per day and if you go on the boat to snorkel which I highly recommend, the cost is 20.00 per person and the dive instructor is right there pointing out interesting fish corals and other unusual items. We went snorkeling at 5 different locations on the island and the reef at Turquoise bay was one of the best.
The downside as I see it:
The internet wi-fi was provided at no cost … a real plus, but the connection was occasionally off line or the signal was weak too use. You are provided with a coffee maker, however no in room coffee but they do bring you a filter each morning. There is no microwave or refrigerator in the room. We lost a beach towel and they charged us 25.00.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank John S
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 6 February 2011

This is a peaceful place in Roatan. If you are looking for party you'd better stay in the west part of the island. Weather is perfect (even when it's raining in La Ceiba). I stayed in a all inclusive package what worked very well for me. I had no car and restaurants are quite far away from here. Food is very tasty and drinks are well prepared. Just make sure you adjust to Roatan pace as service is quite slow. The rooms are very confortable and clean. The view from the room is also stunning, specially during sunset. But you'd rather watch the sunset at the beach. Wonderful! Beach is amazing and you can even have it just for you if you wake up early. Be prepared for the mosquito bites! I used repelant every day 3 times a day and they reached me anyway. If you are looking for a beach with no mosquitos at all, go to Caribbean. They have a dive center available at the hotel. Snorkling in Roatan is amazing, plenty of corals and fishes. The drawback is that they don't send any person to go with you and point to the best spots, so you have to find on your own. I had problems with my snorkling mask and had to go back for a new one and the capitan got mad because he didn't want to go back to the snorkling spot (just 2 minutes away from the diving center!). I had to convince him to go back and give me the time I had remaining. For scuba dive I had a good instructor from Germany for the Discovery dive. I enjoyed a lot and we saw plenty of fishes. For the second dive, they sent me with a local guy that I don't believe is a dive master. I panic for the first time in a dive. He was not comunicating at all. When I asked to stay in the same level he was pushing me to go down. When I said that I want to quit, he decided to take me to a place that is less deap what I agree. However there was nothing to see there besides sand. The hotel is very good and so is the food, but if you are going there specificaly for learning scuba dive, make sure you get to know your instructor before paying.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank viajero2203
Paisley, Ontario Canada
Reviewed 27 January 2011

First let me say that the resort is somewhat remote in location, but the reason we went to Turquoise Bay (TB) was for rest and relaxation. In a "nut shell" the staff is fabulous, thank you Allan,Harris, Pablo,Dennis,Kervie and Aeda for waiting on us "hand and foot" and were always there when we needed something. The food was beyond reproach, it was plentiful, and well presented, both buffets and menu items. The rooms were spacious and extremely clean, and Anna worked extremely hard to make us comfortable. Each room had a spectacular view of the grounds and the ocean. And for those who needed it the A/C worked beautifully, but there was always a breeze and we did not use the A/C. We stayed at TB from the 20th of December to the 3rd of January 2011, and we are considering 3 weeks this year, due to the great time, and the relaxing atmosphere. The only negative thing I can say is that the sand flies tend to bite and are somewhat annoying ... that's why they invented bug spray! We can't say enough good things about TB, and if you are looking for a quiet, relaxing, all inclusive vacation this is the place to go. Oh, and they do have entertainment on a regular basis, fire dancers, local dancers, and musical entertainment, so there is always something to do in the evening. If there is a problem just approach Jesus and he will straighten the matter out, as he is extremely approachable. Thank you all again for a great vacation and we will see you in December 2011!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GaryM24
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 December 2010

What a great trip. I went down with my girlfriend and another couple and stay in Roatan for one week. The weather was great- around 30 degrees the whole time with rain for about half an hour one day. My girlfriend, a friend, and myself all got PADI (scuba) certified at Subway Watersports and the experience was amazing. We got trained by Lior and he is extremely knowledgable and helpful. The scuba diving in Roatan is BEAUTIFUL. The food at Turquoise Bay is GREAT. The service was very good as well...Pablo and Kervy were awesome! I have stayed at many all-inclusive resorts in Jamaica, Mexico, Cuba, etc. and this place offered the highest quality, freshest food and an excellent selection of foods as well (good variety). We also zip-lined with Pirates of the Caribbean and that experience was awesome as well. No complaints and very highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DSTor
Corbeil, Canada
Reviewed 22 December 2010

My husband and I just returned from TB and it was fabulous!!

Just what a stressed out person needs, beautiful view, beach, ocean, room, service and great food!

Personalized service at its best with lots of space to do your own thing and relax!

If you want to get away from the compartimentalized resorts and just enjoy nature and people at their finest, then this is the place for you.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 December 2010

Just returned from Roatan where I spent 7 amazing days with my Girlfriend and another couple who are great friends of ours. The trip and the resort couldn’t have been much better. First off, the food is amazing, I tried pretty much everything on their menu and everything was delicious including the beef, chicken, fish and shrimp. This was by far the best food I have ever had at an all inclusive resort. The wait staff are awesome, especially Pablo! All warm, friendly and eager to please. The diving and snorkelling with Subway Watersports was phenomenal, on the first couple days there were heavy winds from the North so we got driven to the south side of the island where Subway has another dock. Their staff are all very knowledgeable and took me to some great sites. The resort also arranged for a driver to take us to the west end and stay with us all night while we toured around, I would highly recommend doing this if you have not been to Roatan before. We also did the Pirates of the Caribbean Extremely Extreme zipline tour which was a lot of fun as well and also highly recommended.

All in all, if you want a relaxing vacation in a beautiful spot with great staff, amazing food and the opportunity to go on numerous adventures, this is the place to be. Oww and the sand flees are really not that bad at all, just put on a little bug spray and you wont get bothered, even if you do, the bites are tiny and you cant feel them, nor do they itch.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends