“Tips for first time Roatan”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Roatan

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Reno, Nevada
28 helpful votes
“Tips for first time Roatan”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2009

Our group rented a house for a week in West End, Roatan for a week. We came up with a few tips: Use bug repellent containing DEET. The natural stuff doesn't work as well. Be aware of the sand fleas on the beach. They will bite, leave a red dot, and then you won't feel the itch until 2 days later. We heard a lady on the plane who frequents the island say that Avon's Skin So Soft works great. Make sure to bring a flashlight. The electricity frequently goes off on the island. Its almost a daily occurence. Its really dark at night walking home from a dinner in town. Learn to enjoy having no lights. Candlelight can be quite romantic. We rented scooters (Captain Vans) and had a great experience. We recommend staying on the west side of the island. We went near Coxen Hole and along that shore and were alarmed at the amount of traffic and how fast they drive on that side. Its interesting to ride through Flowers Bay when a cruise ship isn't docked to see how the locals live. The food in West End was all really great. I consider myself a foodie, an adventerous eater, and I was surprised by almost every meal. The Argentinian grill was nice, good food, great location. Rotisserie Chicken was fabulous and cheap! The cous cous was nice and the coconut beans and rice is a must! Tongs Thai food was brilliant, but a little pricey, and we wonder if its just coincidence we all go the runs the next day. Even if thats the case, I might consider eating there again... it was that good. There was a food cart, in a vacant lot, across from the gas station with I think the best food I ate the whole trip. Stop by and eat !!! I had a kind of fish and chips. It was awesome. I'll attach a photo of that one. The snorkelling off West Bay and Half Moon Bay, West End was extrordinary. In West End, you have to get out past the sea grass. Its just stunning out there. Best snorkelling conditions I've ever experienced. We had a wonderful time in Roatan, and would be back if there wasn't so many other places on this beautiful planet to see.

5 Thank for4onthefloor
Houston, Texas
10 helpful votes
“Perfect romantic getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2009

I decided to post this review in spite of the fact that, once word is out on this little gem, we will no longer be able to get reservations. Tranquil Seas, beautifully built by owner, Chris, and run with the help of his partner, Monica, is situated on stunning Sandy Bay, away from the large, crowded resort hotels and noisy villages. Instead of a second honeymoon in Hawaii or Greece, we chose to celebrate our 25th anniversary with a week in Roatan during May, 2009. We've travelled extensively and found Tranquil Seas to be the most romantic, relaxing and awe inspiring destination we’ve ever had the pleasure to visit.

Tranquil Seas is an intimate boutique hotel ideal for couples and honeymooners, although a family unit is currently in construction. The four cabanas look newly built and boast porches with a hammock and splendid views. Monica, who hales from Spain, offers daiy breakfasts and dinners most nights. If you’re very lucky, she’ll prepare her exquisite paella. Several excellent restaurants are within easy walking distance of Tranquil Seas, with many more only a short cab-ride away. There was live music in Tranquil Seas restaurant/bar three of the seven nights we were there.

Of course, the best thing about this locale is snorkeling the magnificent Caribbean Sea right out your doorstep. Exploring the shallow reefs and vibrant sea life is a magical adventure we will never forget. See if you can schedule Chris to take you on a boat excursion, and don’t miss swimming with the dolphins at Anthony’s Key just down the beach. A lazy day in hammocks, shaded under a palm roof at the end of Chris’s dock, is a relaxing and panoramic diversion, too.

A few tips: the scant linens are only changed once mid-week so you may want to pack beach towels, washcloths and maybe even an extra pillow. Perhaps you could offer an extra fee to have your sheets and towels changed more frequently. Unlike most US hotels, little bottles of shampoo, etc. are not provided so pack your own. The small kitchenette is equipped with refrigerator, small sink, toaster, dinnerware & glasses but lacks a microwave or hot plate so don't plan on creating any elaborate meals in your room.

We were able to rent snorkels, masks and fins from Chris for $10/day per person but now realize that bringing our own would have been more comfortable and cost about the same. Roatan inspired the creation of an insect repellant called Cactus Juice that works great and won’t harm the environment, it's available in most shops so leave your DEET at home. No need to rent a car, cabs and water taxis are plentiful and affordable. One side note, this hotel has a lot of stairs and is not suitable for wheelchairs and strollers.

2 Thank womanare
chicago
1 helpful vote
“Palmetto Bay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2009

I have just returned from an extended trip to Roatan and stayed at Palmetto Bay for the entire time. I would like to thank all of the staff at Palmetto for the excellent food and service, for the great entertainment and for their very gracious hospitality. I would like to give a very special thanks to Cecilia Chamer for all of her time and assistance. My husband and I have been coming to Palmetto Bay for a number of years now, and we find things new and improved each time we are there. The food in the restaurant continues to get better and better, with very reasonable prices. Palmetto Bay has recently become a popular destination wedding site, and the weddings that we saw there were done very nicely. Cecilia Chamer and staff create lovely, picture perfect, island style weddings on Palmettos beautiful white sandy beach. Very romantic!!
One caution to visitors - use common sense and protect yourself from the sun and the sand flys. Sun screen and insect repellant are required.

1 Thank Skisles
Louisville
4 helpful votes
“Quite a scary place”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2009

We disembarked in Roatan from our cruise ship to be immediately swarmed with people in our faces yelling about coming with them to do this or that. Literally couldnt walk 3 steps without someone following you, yelling at you for attention. They would not take no for an answer. 15 feet from the boat I was offered cocaine by a lady who looked like a grandmother.
Many of the shops were close and dark (no electricity). The streets were very dirty and full of mangy dogs. It is not a place I would visit again, especially if I had children.

2 Thank wickedcat1
florida
24 helpful votes
“Would return in a heartbeat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2009

My son & I went here on a shore excursion provided by Carnival (Legend). We had a great time & was amazed how beautiful it was. We walked the beach & even had an ice cream from a vendor ($2). There were many fish that swam by us. We spent from 9:30-2:00 here. The giftshop was not over priced. We never had any drinks/meals from the restaurant. The rock cliffs with mini palm trees was cool. We spent $36 each to enjoy this & I have to say it was worth it. The transportation here was great & comfortable. There are plenty of beach chairs to use. We never sat down,to busy exploring the beach/water. I didn't find it to be too crowded. Plenty of beach for everyone. The bathroom was clean & I felt safe here. We shopped at the port after our excursion & got some good deals. Everyone was so nice here. The island is beautiful & the surrounding coral reefs are amazing.

2 Thank FloridaHappytrails

Been to Roatan? Share your experiences!