“Jo and Tony are Great Hosts!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Colibri Hill Resort

The Colibri Hill Resort
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Utila
Thousand Oaks, California
“Jo and Tony are Great Hosts!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2008

Jo and Tony operate the resort and are the most fantastic hosts! They picked us up at the ferry, took us straight to our room, and had cold rum punches waiting for us when we came down to the poolside bar. Which brings me to the next thing we loved - the poolside bar! After a day of snorkeling, kayaking, horseback riding, or just being a beach bum, the poolside bar and bartenders were great! They offered advice on where to eat and what to do. It was an amazingly relaxing experience all around and I wish I could stay every week.

And, all those fun activities we did - Jo and Tony organized them for us. Some we did with a group, most we did on our own. It was completely up to us - they just made the calls.

Jo and Tony are definitive hospitality leaders, and I would stay in any property they operated.

• Liked — Jo and Tony
  • Disliked — Mosquitos
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2008

I stayed here with a group of people on an organised tour. Was welcomed at the port by the owners who are expats from America. They were extremely friendly and did their best to make us feel like it was home!

The hotel is basically a three floor complex of rooms (downstairs rooms have kitchens) with shiny wooden floors, air con, fans and bathrooms with hot showers. The top floor had an amazing view of Utila and the Caribbean Sea.

The hotel also has a pool and a bar outside with a range of cocktails and drinks.

Only problem I had was with the bartender who is the owner's son. Perhaps he's bitter about working there or something but I asked him whether I could request a song on behalf of the group that was on his own ipod that he could play. He seemed tentative at first and then after a bit of coaxing allowed me to choose a song, after a few more of the songs he wanted to play. I waited a while then asked again. He reluctantly allowed me to choose one song, but after playing it for a few seconds he claimed he hated that song although it was his own ipod, and subsequently changed it to something else.

He also refrained to inform us that when a tab is set you have to pay at the end of the night (rather than the end of your stay) otherwise an extra charge would be added. I had already left and luckily my roommate paid this for me as she was there at the time.

Obviously this was simply an individual staff issue,otherwise generally we had a lovely stay and I would recommend it to all.

• Liked — View from the top floor and the cool owners
  • Disliked — The owners' son
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2008

This place was beautiful! I had been staying in some crappy hotels and was looking forward to a nice place to stay. This was it. It was small, Very clean and the pool and bar was a nice addition to the place. The bartender was super nice, Alejandro I think his name was. I missed out on the massage but they were the best price I had ever seen. The laundry was the only problem. All of my clothes came back with Bleached fingerprints all over them. So I would not suggest getting your laundry done there. It's a bit down the road so a five minute walk to all of the restaurants and action.

• Liked — The Air Conitioning and Hot shower
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Utila
Sea Eye Resort
#2 of 15 in Utila
The Venue - Utila
The Venue - Utila
#1 of 9 in Utila

Been to The Colibri Hill Resort? Share your experiences!