“Go to Captain Morgans!!!! ”

Captain Morgan's Dive Centre
Ranked #5 of 18 Tours in Utila
More attraction details
Owner description: Close to the night life yet beautifully situated for a chilled atmosphere, and just a short walk away from town centre. Staying in Pirate's Bay Inn gives you the chance to explore Utila and everything this friendly island has to offer, from the restaurants to the beaches and maybe even to search for Captain Morgan's legendary treasure.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Go to Captain Morgans!!!! ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I came to Captain Morgans to do the open water courses. My girlfriend also went on to do the advanced, she loved it so much! It was everything we could hope for! We were told by other people we met traveling how great it was, and Captain Morgans def. Lived up to the reputation. The staff are sooo helpful and friendly. David showed us around and helped us out a lot with our room and any other questions we had, not to mention be friended us, which is obviously not part of his job...talk about feeling welcomed. All the staff are Very genuine and helpful...like a big loving family. My instructor was Brian and he was the best!! Very professional, informative and fun! He went over all the steps including how important the buddy system is...and was very helpful and kind even after the course was over. My girlfriend had Laurent as her advanced instructor who is also GREAT. And I can't leave out Eitan the third instructor, who although didn't instruct my girlfriend or I technically, but really he was still so informative and awesome!! The bartenders are also lovely ladies, who cook delicious food at a reasonable price. All the staff were really cool, hanging out with us..telling us interesting things about the island and places to go! Makes you smile huge. The rooms are clean and have air conditioning and prices are good! Everything about Captain Morgans is wonderful...your own private beach, free kayaks, snorkel gear great people, good food and a whole lot of fun!! Don't miss out!! We love Captain Morgans and can't wait to visit again!!- love Chels & Jess.

1 Thank Jessica B

• Hebrew first
Melbourne, Australia
“a gem amougnst them all”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

After spending a week with another dive centre on Utila my friend and I were beginning to question our trip all the way out there. Being already qualified divers we were looking for a shop that cared not just for its course divers but was also interested in where they went to dive. Captain Morgan's offered this and so much more. We went every morning with them for 6 days over to the north side where we got to see a totally different quality of diving. On top of that the accomodation was a heap better and the place had a much friendlier communal atmosphere. Thanks!

Visited May 2014
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Exceptional people”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

The staff at Captain Morgan made my experience exceptional. The girls in the kitchen always cooked up a delicious storm and put a smile on your face. David at the front always was there to answer any questions no matter how busy he was.

Divemaster Kate did my tune up as it was more than a year since I dove. She was extremely pleasant and professional. Before the tune up captain Chris went to look for a whale shark and we found one! We swam with it for over 30 minutes and a devil ray also decided to join us. what a great first day.

I did 27 dives in two weeks and there were only 3 equipment malfunctions. This is were the imporatence of a buddy check comes it but as an adavnced diver you should know to do this and should not have to be reminded.

I was not sure weither I could do the rescue course as I was not confident in my swimming abilites ( believe it or not). Divemaster Imka took her own time out of her day to teach me a good technique for front stroke. Many thanks as I have not put my head under water without some sort of breathing apparatus for 15 years. Her teaching abilites, support and patience made me one step closer to being divemaster!! Many thanks Imka you're the best.

Brian was the instructor for my rescue course. He is very knowledgable and competent.He never sugar coated scenarios and always played out the worse case scenerio which really reinforced that the safety of the rescuer comes first.

Owner Kevin should be very proud of his establishment and his wonderful team. Miss you all already. Cant wait to return.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Chantal P
Vancouver, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Exactly what I was looking for”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

I spent several days on Utila looking for the right dive shop to complete a divemaster. After choosing Captain Morgan's I dove with them almost every day for five weeks and it was one of the highlights of my travels.

The shop sits on a little beach where the girls working the beach bar serve up some of the best food on the island. The atmosphere is laid back but social. All you need to is get yourself into a hammock or a muskoka chair and depending on which one you grab you will either make a friend or get in some quality island time relaxation.

Being here so long, I got to spend time and dive with all the instructors and divemasters and I have to say there are no weak links in this crew. The divemasters know the dive sites around the island like the backs of their hands, the captains are pros at finding whale sharks and the instructors know not only how to create a good diver but also have to have a good time doing it. (Don't forget to ask Sascha to do his Schwarzenegger lines)

When choosing this dive shop, the bottom line for me was to get access to the best diving on the island, so if you take away one thing from my review it should be the following. On several occasions during my time here divers who chose to sign up for multi dive packages with other shops came to dive at Captain Morgans for a day or two because they wanted to explore the north side of Utila and the other shops would not go there. The north side of the island is where the best walls, coral and aquatic life can be found, however it is a longer boat ride which means more fuel and less profit for the shop. In my 5 weeks here, Captain Morgan sent a boat to the north side for two dives on virtually every morning.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank _P0lish_Pete_
Utila, Honduras
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“One of the best things I have ever done”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

I have just completed my PADI open water course and I had the best time. Before coming to Utila I had never thought about scuba diving but my friend talked me into it and i'm so glad I done it. We had an instructor named Sascha who was brilliant. I always felt like I was in good hands and he done a great job of teaching us and looking after us in the water. Don't make silly mistakes like leaving your mask on your head though as you will have to buy him a beer. I owe him two :)

Visited May 2014