“Cheap, dark, ok for one night”
Review of Hotel Utila

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Utila
Hotel Utila
Ranked #8 of 14 Utila B&B and Inns
Lindau, Germany
“Cheap, dark, ok for one night”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We took it as it was, for 15USD we didn't expect much and indeed didn't get much. We had a room downstairs, very very dark, with old furniture and cold shower, and with two fans. It was surprisingly cool, at least compared to where we slept before, I guess because it was on the ground floor. The wifi worked in the courtyard and at times also in the room, but the signal was quite poor.
We stayed just one night before catching the morning ferry, so we didn't really mind the slightly weird family that runs the place (young woman swearing like a sailor at her two little kids). I'm not sure I'd like to stay longer though. For the same price there were much nicer rooms in a hotel (I forgot the name) further down the road, in front of Gunther's dive shop, but we wanted to be closer to the pier.
Cheap baleadas in front of the hotel, highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 15 June 2013

It would be easy to write disparaging remarks about a modest location such as Hotel Utila but that would not be fair to those who take pride in this establishment and call it home. The truth is that this is a two-star facility on an island full of backpacker dorms and hostels and it cannot be reviewed the same as a typical hotel or resort. The facility is simple and has the basics - one side has air conditioning and hot water available and the other side has oscillating fans and cold water only, so you could have very different reviews based on the location you chose. Hotel Utila partners with Bay Islands College of Diving (BICD) next door to provide overflow lodging to students which is nice. You can pay to upgrade your room if you are interested in a/c and hot water.

I stayed one night with the fans because I knew no different and the rest of my stay with the air conditioned room - what a difference that made for someone who was not used to extreme humidity and heat like the June weather on Utila. Quite honestly, the beds were comfortable in both rooms. The bathrooms leave a lot to be desired, but again, this isn't the Ritz.

There are very few outlets in the rooms, so charging technology items is challenging. That said, there's also no place to actually secure them while you're away diving, so it's almost better not to have them at all. There is a safe in the office that can be used if you need it. What concerned me most was that while I locked my room when I left, I routinely saw the master keyring lying in various places completely unattended for long periods of time, so you do really need to be careful since security is not perfect, despite cameras in some areas.

The onsite staff are kind, respectful and keep to themselves - personalities are unique so you can't judge when communications styles are different. The children are sweet and they add to the family feel. Ana the housekeeper takes pride in her work. Wifi is definitely not reliable - the first night was fine but after that, each connection attempt resulted in the message "Unable to Join the Network". You can easily walk to Munchies for wifi though. The ferry dock is also within walking distance (everything is walkable actually) - just be careful for speedy scooters, taxis, etc. on the narrow street.

There was one little mishap during my stay, but these things do happen. I returned from a morning dive to find my room completely empty and all my items gone. Apparently there was another gal checking out who asked that the manager have her things collected and placed in the office and they thought that it was me (definitely not). When I explained it was not me, they promptly returned my items and we had a subdued laugh about the situation. Rather than complain, I'd say that (1) they did promptly correct the situation and (2) the items were packed with care and the fact that they'd even do this upon request speaks to their customer service.

So, while this wasn't the type of lodging experience I was used to, it was a humbling experience and one I won't soon forget.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the office may have greater likelihood for reliable wifi.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank SuburbtoSuitcase
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2013

I stayed in a long-term rent in Utila for 5 months but needed a few nights in a hotel and found this to be the best option. It is one of the cheapest but is right next to the beach and has huge rooms with spare beds in them and are en-suite. You can pay a bit more to have a room with a tv upstairs.
It isn't the prettiest place so if you are looking for a luxurious hotel getaway this isn't it but there are few affordable places like that in the town centre. It is a great option for travellers wanting some space and wanting to stay in town in a nice place. It was quiet and has a upstairs seating and hammock area as well as a small bit of beach, as well as a small kitchen which is a bit of a rarity. The owner was friendly and I felt very at home. A great all-round option and better than the others I viewed for a similar price.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Ellie T
honduras
Reviewed 18 January 2013

My friends and I spent New Year's Week at Hotel Utila and it was great. It's strategically located between two dive shops, across a supermarket and on the way to the island's public beach. There's a fully furbished communal kitchen and a "open dining room" at the hotel's private beach. Maybe the rooms could use more light, but the overall experience was very good.

The hotel is owned and run by the most accommodating and friendly locals. After twenty years in the business, one is left with the feeling that the Rose family has done a great job with their venture.

Room Tip: rooms in the second floor are higher
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank donperez
michigan
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Great Place to Stay
I was at Hotel Utila for 6 weeks, Feb-Mar 2012. I really enjoyed my stay there. This is not a 5 Star Luxury Hotel, but it is a nice clean one. Annie and Annie were very accommodating and friendly to me. My room was cleaned everyday (except Sat on their day off); with floors wet mopped, clean towels, and clean sheets several times a week. I liked the location because it was away from the busy part of Utila Town, but still close to everything; and it was quiet inside the rooms. It's right on the water and there is a nice clean little beach right next door. The rooms are on either side of the building with an open area in between which is under cover and assured there was always a nice breeze out there. They have a little community kitchen for your use. I am a single woman traveling alone, and i felt very safe there. I recommend Hotel Utila as a good value for the price.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank donnap27
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 February 2012

we stayed here our first night because it was so cheap, but it wasnt worth it! the owners are unfriendly and the rooms are dirty. My biggest complaint was there are windows facing into the hall and the shades dont completely cover them. I had no where to change without beeing seen. they also dont have a place for you to sit outside and enjoy their ocean view. i mean why be situated on the water, without a view???
my other complaints involve them not having a coffee maker, dirty/cheap sheets/ and bugs.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank dena c
utia_angel, Manager at Hotel Utila, responded to this review, 4 September 2012
Dear Dena
i am very sorry for your unpleasant stay at our Hotel, we are emproving the hotel as we can,
your biggest complaint was that the shades didnt cover the window but you can clearly see that they do in the picture "you" posted, and if you would have told us about your concern i could have changed you to another room or even changed the shades in the room.
our rooms are cleaned daily with the exception of saturday do our religion,
the hotel also has a shared kitchen were you can make coffee, we do not have coffee makers in the rooms but you were more then welcome to use the shared kitchen for making coffee, sorry if it was not offered to you but we do have signs posted that you can use the kitchen.
i completely agree with you on not having a place to sit and relax and enjoy the view, during your stay we were actually in the process of fixing that problem and we have made alot of improvement to the hotel we now how a beach area were our guest can relax, enjoy the view and go swimming. we have also fixed the deck area up stairs with hammocks, funiture and a frige. once again i am sorry for your stay in our hotel. but thank you for helping us to improve in what we do wrong.

Thanks.
Annie Bush

Travellers are raving about these Utila hotels

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 15 June 2010

This place has acceptable fan cooled rooms on the main drag in Utila Town. If you want one upstairs you have to pay an extra $3 for a tv whether you watch it or not, which we didn't. There's a sitting area with a hammock, a couple of tables and a sea view, although this is normally filled with the hotel's drying laundry. There's also a kitchen you can use and a really bad wi fi connection.

Never have I encounted such unfriendly owners as the mother and daughter in charge here. We stayed there for twelve days (whilst diving) and even after all that time they could barely bring themselves to look at us, let alone say hello (apart from when they asked us to come and pay). There was also a young child of about 6 years living there. He screamed and threw tantrums from early morning right though the day and was then screamed at himself in reply. Not the most peaceful atmosphere to be in.

I would recommend this place simply because the rooms were ok for the price - $18. Especially if your dive school is paying a proportion of that. It definitely beat staying in their free accomodation which was substandard.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple