“Amazing location and price!”

Pirate's Bay Inn Dive Resort
Ranked #4 of 14 Utila B&B and Inns
Austin, Texas
“Amazing location and price!”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

The staff picked us up at the ferry and took us to the hotel. Very friendly and helpful. Hotel is situated in the center of town within 5-10 minutes walk of every bar and restaurant. We had a private room and bath with AC. Very clean and nice, even had a tv. Dive staff was very laid back, helpful, and knowledgeable. Small beach on the property and about 10-15 min walk to chebes beach. Overall great experience and would stay with them again.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Kimberly G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights. It was a simple room. Clean, decently comfortable bed, ac (we paid extra for this). I liked how they cleaned our room everyday, but hated our shower head. Very poor water pressure. Also very loud. You can hear street noise as well as people down at the bar... Did not sleep well here. Great place to dive. All instructors were nice and helpful. You have to set up all of your own gear and take it off boat. Also not sure if they actually clean gear which most places I dive with do. I didn't like thinking that I was sharing spit with everyone else who had used gear before.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Lanigan, Canada
Reviewed 20 April 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at Pirate's Bay for 5 nights while doing our Open Water Dive course with Captain Morgan's (see Captain Morgan's for review about the actual course). We were really happy we decided to stay here. We had a private room which was simple but perfectly adequate. We never saw the dorm rooms but heard from others that they were really hot at night. We didn't use the A/C in our room and were more than comfortable with just the ceiling fan. The grounds are nice, lots of seating (picnic tables and beach chairs) near the beach. Everything is far enough away from the busy street that noise was never an issue. Even the noise from the bar downstairs never kept us up at night. All the staff was great, very friendly and helpful. The food from the restaurant was awesome, we never had a bad meal there. I'd highly recommend staying here if you're looking for somewhere simple, with a nice atmosphere, and good value.

As a side note - we were a little concerned about finding somewhere to stay on Utila that we wouldn't feel too out of place being that we are 29 and 37. A lot of places looked like they only catered to young, "party-focused" backpackers while we are more "go-to-bed-at-9" backpackers these days. While the average age at Pirate's Bay was definitely early 20's, there was a good mix of people of all ages and we felt totally comfortable the entire time.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We just returned from our trip to Utila. We switched hotels part way through because the first one was so loud, (think playing volleyball from 3am to 5am), and since we are not 20 years old we felt pretty much ignored or even invisible. (We had stayed and dove with this previous place in 2008 and had a great time but it has completely changed and is all about the party scene.)

From the second we arrived this felt like a better place, people, both guests and staff, were very friendly and fun. The food was great at the small eating area---Christina is a fabulous cook, if you stay here you must try her food. The room was clean and had everything we needed. We dove with this place too and that was great. Thanks for a great stay just wished that we had found it sooner....

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Heins70
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 11 March 2014

My girlfriend and I are very happy we chose Captain Morgans Dive Centre/Pirates Bay Inn(the accommodations provided). We first met the Dive Shop/Hotel owner, Kevin, as we were first getting off the ferry in Utila. He overheard a group of us talking about what dive shops we planned to go to. He introduced himself and said he had owned Captain Morgans for 20 years and invited us to check them out if we got the chance. He was just a really friendly, down to earth guy, who wasn't pushy at all in trying to sell us. So a few minutes later my girlfriend and I decided to check out Captain Morgans/Pirate Bay Inn.

The owner Kevin showed us the rooms at the hotel. You could tell Kevin had real pride in his hotel and dive shop. This hotel is at most a few years old and he explained each and every detail of its planning and construction. It was refreshing to see someone so dedicated to their business. Did I mention the hotel/dive shop has it's own little beach--a rarity on Utila. Accommodations in dormitory style rooms are provided for free if you are doing a course with them. For a little extra you can pay for a private room. We stayed in both during our time there and can attest to how clean all the rooms are. The hotel itself can't be more than a few years old, the beds are only a few months old, sheets are changed daily, and the walls and windows are well insulated--good so that if you actually want to sleep, outside music and partiers won't disturb you. In reality, the hotel is just far enough away from any loud bars that we didn't hear much anyway. Don't worry though, the bars and clubs are a super close walk. And the hotel does have its own great little bar restaurant that serves good food and drinks, but it closes down early.

On to the diving. My girlfriend and I had Frank as our instructor and were extremely satisfied with his teaching ability. We were both nervous as he sat us down to explain all the skills we would have to demonstrate on our confined water dives. But he has a real gift for teaching things on land or the surface, and then being just as good patiently explaining and demonstrating things underwater. Not at anytime did I feel rushed or uncomfortable. He was efficient in teaching us our Open Water Course, I didn't feel like we were ever wasting time, yet he is very thorough and made sure we accomplished skills safely and understood the book material as well. My girlfriend and I both highly recommend Frank as an instructor.

We hope to return to Utila one day, and if we do we will undoubtedly be staying and Diving with Pirates Bay/Captain Morgans.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Ruckustraveler
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I really enjoyed my class with Frank. He was very patient and the class was a perfect size for me to get the assistance I needed to feel okay. Utila is an amazing place ad well the diving goes hand in hand with the beautiful surroundings. The best part about it was the Dive master Kate who is an amazing positive person. She is really good at finding things you wouldnt see normally. On our dive where her knowledge we were able to see eagle rays, squid, spotted sting ray and other beautiful fish. Thanks to her I finished up my dive course very happy.

Room Tip: Rooms are very clean take your pick.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank nanitta
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I stayed here with a friend in one of the private rooms on the second floor. Everyone was super friendly and helpful, the beer was cold, and breakfast in the morning was quick and affordable. There's free wifi pretty much everywhere except in a couple spots but it's easily solved by moving to a different seat. It's nicely located for easy walks down the main strip and really clean. It's really nice to be able to walk out on to the beach and go for a swim when it gets really warm. Definitely a great place to stay. I met tons of great people and really enjoyed my stay.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends