“Welcome to Dive Camp!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Utila
Deep Blue Resort Utila
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Utila
“Welcome to Dive Camp!!”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Remember those long adventure filled weeks spent at summer camp as a kid? Spending a week at Deep Blue Resort in Utila hearkened me back to those fun times! Long sunny days miles from any civilization filled with adventurous outdoor activities (in this case diving). Letters home written on our iPads, all meals served in the same mess hall, sleeping in wooden cabins with few amenities, fighting the hearty bugs at every turn. So bloodthirsty were the deer flies and no see ums that bug spray was as much of a necessity as the strongest sunscreen, a needed defense against the relentless equatorial tropical sun. Days consisted of diving and little else which is fine with me. That and watching the iguanas sun, the crabs scurry along the sand and the hummingbirds constantly feed while being lulled into blissful oblivion by the oceanfront view from our private hammock. This place is beautiful, tranquil and peaceful. The staff is hospitable and the dive crew nothing short of amazing. They change over our tanks, rinse our gear, lead every dive, show us the best dive sites. The wall diving is spectacular and we happily fell into bed exhausted at 9pm every night fully enjoying 8-9 hours of sleep at night, a luxury we can ill afford in our uber-busy lives at home. All in all it was a wonderful experience. The only thing missing at this Dive Camp was canteen, for there were no between-meal snacks to speak of, but Steve the dive master was happy to fetch us some nuts in town and bring them back. After a fun filled week, I'm bruised, sore and bug bitten but happy and grateful for the experience. I have 18 more dives added to my logbook and Ill go back home better for the experience!

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank rhdavis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Montreal
Reviewed 2 June 2013

My wife and I and one of our friends spent a week at Deep Blue Utila and had a wonderful time.
Because it is a dive resort, I'll talk about the diving first. My buddy and I are both divemasters and have dived a lot of the Caribbean, Thailand, Australia, and parts of Europe and Africa over the past 13 years. My wife has her open water certification and has come on some of those trips as well.

To compare apples with apples, we found the variety and abundance of marine life to be greater in Roatan than Utila. The dive sites in Utila are still very good, don't get me wrong. But being a fairly small and isolated island, we expected pristine reefs teaming with life. There is a lot of good diving in the Caribbean and this was an example of that. But for the amount of time and money it takes to get and stay in Utila for diving, you're better off going to Roatan for the same marine environment.

That being said, the dive operation is fantastic at Deep Blue! It's the lazy diver's dream come true. The day we arrived, they brought our gear down to the storage building where the boat is and where you leave for all your boat dives. We set up our gear once on the first dive of the trip and that was it. The rest of the week, our divemaster set everything up, took everything apart, rinsed our gear, and stored it. I've never seen that kind of service in all my years diving. And if we felt like doing a shore dive on the house reef, we just let the crew know and ten minutes later our gear was on the beach set up at the entry point. Just a quick note about the house reef, it's actually a very good dive but the really tricky part is the entry and exit. Depending on the day, there can be a lot of wave action making walking over the jagged coral rocks with your scuba gear on a little difficult. Booties are necessary and I wouldn't recommend a night dive there just because of that.

Now for the resort. Deep Blue is very a very quiet dive resort. If you don't dive or don't plan on learning while you're there, you'll probably be pretty bored. It's not the all-inclusive party and drink 'til you drop kind of place so if that's what you like to do, go elsewhere. Deep Blue's daily routine revolves around diving. Breakfast starts at 7:00 AM, one hour before the morning boat dives, lunch is when those boat dives get back, and dinner is at 6:30 PM unless there's a night dive going on in which case it's after that dive. The food itself is excellent and plentiful and at no point did we ever go hungry. My only comment (and I'm nitpicking a bit here) is dinner got a little repetitive towards the end of the week.

The room we had was a double with two double beds, bathroom, and a nice deck with an ocean view and a hammock. Very cosy and clean which is all we needed for a trip where you spend most of your day diving.

In terms of safety, we were told upon arrival that the resort is so safe that you can leave your rooms unlocked if you want because the staff is very trustworthy, no strangers ever come to Deep Blue, and nothing had ever gone missing in the eight year existence of the resort. And we did get that impression... until our sandals were stolen from the dock where the dive boat leaves each day. Just mine and my wife's, no one else's, despite everything being left in the same place. I realize they were just sandals but after being told by management how safe the place was, we were pretty upset. (This is the part where the staff gets five stars.) Shirley, the owner, checked with all the staff to see if anyone knew anything. Apparently, the fisherman who delivers the fresh fish had come by with some "people" on his boat while we were away diving. Shirley contacted some people she knew in town and was able to track down and get our sandals back to us the next day. And because I'm a not-too-bright guy who packs like a guy and only brought one pair of sandals, one of the staff (Eddie) went into town and bought me a replacement pair to get through my time without my sandals. Hats off to everyone for how they handled the situation. It's still a very safe place but that being said, keep your stuff secure and not out in the open anyway.

So overall, we had a great trip. Didn't see any whale sharks but that's ok. I would highly recommend Deep Blue if you're coming to Utila for a dive vacation.

5 Thank Scallywag81
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 1 June 2013

HEADS UP.. One of our traveling buddies was refused her paid airline ticket to Honduras when her passport expiration had only 30 days past her return date. Requirement is minimum 6 months left. Being the weekend, it could not be corrected and arrangements made for a later way to Utila without much expense and much hassle. Deep Blue Resort stuck by their policy of no refunds, and no credits admitting that this had previously happened to other travelers. No refund or credits were given by CM Airlines as well. Almost $2000 and a great vacation was lost. Deep Blue Resort was great; fantastic dive masters and boat captain and comfortable facilities with internet in the dining room. Their website needs updating on tips getting to the island and some warnings to check the expiration on you passport.

Room Tip: Make sure you have 6 months or more left on your passport.
1 Thank dosrs2
Eagan, Minnesota
Reviewed 15 May 2013

The facilities, food, lodging, and people here were all perfectly decent. The big challenge that Deep Blue fights, and that is generic to all Utila dive shops, is that the vast majority of dive sites are wall dives that pretty much look the same. By the 3rd day I could have recited the standard wall dive dive briefing. Contrarily, we did a great night dive on the Halliburton wreck and I appreciated that during my Deep Diver specialty training we went to 40M each time. I did a fun solo shore dive exploring the swim-throughs in their shore reef. I'll summarize then that Deep Blue runs a good resort, but if you're looking for variety and/or challenging dives, you will need to actively push for it.

1 Thank Fousa
Reviewed 12 May 2013

We spent a week at CocoView on Roatan, then a week at Deep Blue on Utila, and we preferred the smaller scale of the resort and the far superior diving at Deep Blue. The resort is away from the noise and loud music of town, the owners and staff are friendly and fun and went out of their way to make our visit pleasant.

Aussie Steve the divemaster was excellent, knowledgeable and found us some amazing fish. In Roatan the divemaster took us to the same dive location right near the resort three days in a row, even after we complained. At Deep Blue we went to 3 different sites every day, all around the island, and if we made a request, they made it happen. My impression of the diving at Roatan was that the reef was overfished as there were few fish and few large individuals; we were taken to see the same 2 seahorses over and over. At Deep Blue we saw turtles and rays, eels and lots of fish, including seahorses and pipefish. Shore diving had easier access to the water at Roatan, so we did more there.

Room Tip: We only saw our room, but it was great. They took care to spread people out around the resort rathe...
3 Thank BarbaraWinter
Wadsworth, Ohio
Reviewed 4 May 2013

The resort is small and very remote. That is the way we like it. Love to experience other cultures and meet locals.
The resort has a great owner and staff. The rooms were a good size and clean. The food was good. We had the bonus of three shark professionals joining our dive week. We were able to locate five whale sharks. What a great time that was!
All other diving was very good. The two divemasters we had knew where to find great sea life and corals. Good dive sites.
Would definitely return to this island get-a-way.

3 Thank Bob and Deb Z
Lake Arrowhead, California
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Deep Blue is a resort that is only accessible by boat so it is much quieter than any resort located in the village. Our room was clean and comfortable, although the water pressure was poor if someone in the other rooms was taking a shower at the same time, but this is what you get given the remote location. The resort itself is quite pretty and well maintained.

All of the staff were exteremely helpful and accomodating from divemasters to culinary preparation. Food was quite good.

The dive sites were varied with diverse flora and fauna. Don't plan on seeing a lot of big fish as this is not what Utila has (other than the elusive whale sharks).

We were fortunate enough to see the whale sharks on our last day after our diving was supposed to be complete.The staff went above and beyond after a fisherman reported a whale shark sighting (none had been seen for more than a month). The boat was quickly readied and took us to the area of sighting. After a one hour search the fish boil was found and so were the whale sharks (3). I didn't see any other boats from the other resorts making this effort. The experience of swimming with the whale sharks was breathtaking.

All in all a fun time.