Deep Blue Resort Utila
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Utila
See available hotels
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsdive masterbar loungeshirleyboatcaptaindivinglagoon
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I must start my review by saying we had a wonderful time diving with Deep Blue and we would defiantly go back. . Everyone at Deep Blue is so nice and friendly. Shirley is one sweet lady and does an excellent job at keeping everyone happy . She will be sure you are well fed ! Please bring some Frank Sinatra for her to listen to and you will have made a good friend. I have waited a long time to swim with a whale shark and this was the trip ! Whale sharks are in Utila all year although October is not the best time for them . Our boat capt. Ivor and DM Steve were on the lookout and the phone gathering info. The day a boil was spotted we went in search on our surface interval . The reward was a beautiful whale shark in the middle of Tuna jumping. It was pretty amazing and a memory I will never forget .
We also had an opportunity to swim with a pod of dolphin. Another memory that was so very special.
Steve is excellent at pointing out the stuff you might never see . Pay close attention you will be amazed ! ( He also loves MM's and Werther's Original candy be nice and bring some he works hard so you will have a great time.)
Now for some specifics . Deep Blue is a basic / nice resort . You are not going to get all kinds of fluffy luxury here . You are going to get a clean place to stay with fresh sheets and towels as you need them . The rooms have a great view of the ocean and a large balcony . There is plenty of drawer space as well as a nice closet . Shirley will provide a hair dryer if you would like one.
Shore diving at Deep Blue is a bit tricky but if you follow the directions on where to enter and exit you will be fine. There are nice puffers and octopus just feet from your room. I have read tons of reviews and feel that many are not very honest regarding the food. In my opinion everything was very fresh ! Salads and fruits are served fresh at every meal if you want them . Some people mention getting bored with the choices and my response is I would rather have some repetition with all fresh foods verses processed junk out of a can . The food for our 10 days was always very good. I did bring some popcorn for a snack and that was nice to have a few times in between meals .
Another thing I read was about the bugs . There are sand flees but they were not terrible for us. A little baby oil on your legs will keep them away. Keep in mind you are in Honduras. Bring

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms have a great view .
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tammy K
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Deep Blue is for people who are diving all day, want excellent diving support from knowledgeable and alert crew / dive masters, and good food, a quiet night's sleep, and do it again.

My wife and I just returned from a week at Deep Blue with REEF(www.Reef.org) . Ned and Anna Deloach(authors and photographers www.fishid.com) are a pleasure to dive with, and the dive masters Adam and Steve are extraordinary in their knowledge and hard work supporting a group of divers who number their dives in the thousands. The boat Captain was always alert, seemed to know where every diver was all the time and handled the Wall Nut expertly in the uncharacteristically rough seas we experienced. No hesitation to go to the preferred sites, no matter how much fuel or time was involved.

Rooms are large, comfortable, and air conditioned. Food is good, plentiful and there is a bar. There was no loud music, no rattle of motorcycle exhaust, no yelling at night. Perfect for tired divers. Equipment was handled by dive staff, expertly.

Shirley works very hard attending to every detail, seemingly in 2 places at once, all the time. Her son was away that week, and this note is to assure her son that she does work while he is gone.

Room Tip: All of the rooms face the ocean, and are all in two buildings built on pilings. Ask for the first level rooms if you want to avoid the extra stairs.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ed B
Reviewed 14 July 2013

My husband and I just returned from our two week stay at Deep Blue in Utila. It was our second trip here and we will certainly return.

The diving in Utila is varied offering a large variety of soft and hard corals and a great selection of sealife. Just about everything you might wish to see and some blennies I couldn't even find listed in the fish book. The dive master, Steve, was fantastic and very knowledgeable about the different sites and what they offered. He was very good at finding the itty bitty creatures.

This is an out island resort, and is very well done. The food offered is a selection of what's available and you get a menu of choices each morning. The food is always tasty. The rooms are always clean and the staff is always friendly.

Shirley runs the day to day operations and is a gracious hostess who works hard to ensure that your stay is wonderful. I was wearing my Deep Blue TShirt in the Roatan airport while waiting for my flight back to the states and several people came up to me and said "we stayed there too, and we loved it". So do we.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank VPJones1957
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We stayed at Deep Blue resort on Utila for our third week in Honduras, the first 2 were spent on Roatan and then on the Zeppelin DIve and Sailboat on the east side of Roatan.

Great food, great diving! We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hamster1966
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Remember those long adventure filled weeks spent at summer camp as a kid? Spending a week at Deep Blue Resort in Utila hearkened me back to those fun times! Long sunny days miles from any civilization filled with adventurous outdoor activities (in this case diving). Letters home written on our iPads, all meals served in the same mess hall, sleeping in wooden cabins with few amenities, fighting the hearty bugs at every turn. So bloodthirsty were the deer flies and no see ums that bug spray was as much of a necessity as the strongest sunscreen, a needed defense against the relentless equatorial tropical sun. Days consisted of diving and little else which is fine with me. That and watching the iguanas sun, the crabs scurry along the sand and the hummingbirds constantly feed while being lulled into blissful oblivion by the oceanfront view from our private hammock. This place is beautiful, tranquil and peaceful. The staff is hospitable and the dive crew nothing short of amazing. They change over our tanks, rinse our gear, lead every dive, show us the best dive sites. The wall diving is spectacular and we happily fell into bed exhausted at 9pm every night fully enjoying 8-9 hours of sleep at night, a luxury we can ill afford in our uber-busy lives at home. All in all it was a wonderful experience. The only thing missing at this Dive Camp was canteen, for there were no between-meal snacks to speak of, but Steve the dive master was happy to fetch us some nuts in town and bring them back. After a fun filled week, I'm bruised, sore and bug bitten but happy and grateful for the experience. I have 18 more dives added to my logbook and Ill go back home better for the experience!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends