“Keep Going Back for More!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Utila
Deep Blue Resort Utila
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Utila
Tampa
“Keep Going Back for More!”
Reviewed 1 January 2007

I first came down to Deep Blue Resort in April of 2006 with a large group of people from (--), I was lucky enough to stay for 2 weeks and as a very new diver loved it!

Having just been certified 3 weeks prior, and never diving in the ocean before, I literally had my hand held, I was very much looked after on the boat and through out the dives, had my own personal dive escort , got to see some of the most amazing creatures and undersea life.

On top of this, a great staff, anything you need is taken care of for you on the boat or at the resort, with a smile, the grounds are clean, beautifully maintained, the rooms spacious, clean, each with it's own private bath and deck overlooking the ocean.

I was so impressed that I came back again in October of 2006 to do my advanced course and stayed 3 weeks this time, enjoying all the diving. Getting the opportunity to learn a great deal as the Reef Society was at the resort doing Reef fish id'ing and enjoyed being a part of that as well as the presentations and talks in the evenings which were very e ducational, fun and interesting. Icing on the cake were the 3 shark encounters and the opportunity of seeing these beautiful creatures up close.

I've returned yet again in December of 2006, ringing in the New Year and enjoying some quiet and peace, weather has been very good, and as always I'm made to feel rather spoiled.

Since I need to work while traveling the new sattelite internet system Steve has had installed works great, never a problem setting myself up a little desk in a corner to work from and the bottomless coffee pot!

Steve's Culinary abilities are fantastic to say the least and every dinner has been delicious, interesting, different and highly enjoyable. (This is one of the few places that will go out of their way to accomadate anyone with special dietary needs as well)

After having been involved with running a dive related web discussion board, having experience with a YMCA instructor as well as a Naui instructor, I will do all of my continueing dive education at Deep Blue Resort with Matt and Steve and no where else.

Their level of expertise and the dedication and passion that they have far exceeds that of anyone else I've met in the dive industry.

Matt and Captain Swin have made sure that I've been to different dive sites on each of my trips, along with different types of dives making each and every one of them fun, interesting and educational.

Steve has had some wonderful people in for presentations and talks on shark conservation (somthing he's very involved in and well known for) such as Alexandra Cousteau who I had the opportunity to meet and enjoy a wonderful dinner with this past week at Deep Blue

I do not know of any other place that wil give their customers such personalized service, (I may ask for an annual rate for my room!) It is without a doubt my favorite dive destination for the diving and variety of corals and sea life as well as for the atmosphere and wonderful people!

• Liked — Very personalized service
  • Disliked — nothing to complain about
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled solo
6 Thank dianefam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
California
Reviewed 30 November 2006

Sam and I were there for the week before Thanksgiving and even though the weather didn't cooperate, everyone else sure did. Matt and Kelly took us all over the sandy flats and the reef looking for micro-life (the smallest we saw was a 1/2" lined sole). Sam added over 30 new species to her fish log. Jasmine cooked fabulous meals, including a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. We spent the evenings talking about fish and life In Utila with Steve and Shirley. A fabulous divers resort. Heartily recommended. A full, indepth review is at Wiki Divers [--]

Frank McGuff

• Disliked — A resort made by divers for divers.
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
Litchfield, CT
Reviewed 19 November 2006

We've just returned from a wonderful week spent at the Deep Blue Resort.

Jasmine, Steve & Shirley have created something very special here. We arrived as customers, and left feeling like members of the family.

With a cooked breakfast (and fresh fruit and baked muffins) every day, hot lunch and wonderful dinners we were thoroughly spoiled. There are choices for breakfast and dinner. You choose dinner from the menu a day or two in advance, and there's lots of options - and Jasmine is great in 'tuning' the menu to special tastes and favorites (Angela hasn't stopped talking about the custard tart...).

Ours was a last minute trip, booked well out of season (several of the other resorts on Utila were closed), but it was obvious that no corners were cut in ensuring we had a perfect time. Despite visiting many other resorts, and a couple of live aboards I have NEVER received such complete, competent and professional service as we did from Matt, who came out with us on every dive. Our gear was set up before every dive (even carried from our room), and washed and put away after every dive.

As we were out of season, we weren't expecting to see whale sharks, but Swinn (boat captain) tried very hard to find them for us (they'd been seen in the area only the week before). During our surface intervals we covered miles of ocean searching, unfortunately without luck - although we did have a magical encounter with a pod of pilot whales.

The diving we did was excellent. On every dive Matt lead, he always managed to find something interesting and different (though how he always manages to find the seahorses is beyond me, unless he's planting them there...)

We were pleasantly surprised by the weather - based on the Weather Channel forecasts, we'd expected rain every day, but it was nearly perfect, with only stormy day. Apparently the forecasts are for Roatan, and Utila is often very different. We managed to dive every single day. We were slightly disappointed by the visibility, but realistically we knew it wouldn't be perfect at this time of year. It probably averaged about 60ft, but was improving throughout the week.

One thing that really impressed me. Steve and Jasmine are obviously truly passionate about about what they do, and at the same time minimizing their impact on the fragile environment that surrounds them, both on land and in the ocean.

In turn they want to spread this message, encouraging customers, staff and competitors to show the same care and dedication to caring for our planet, and to spread the message further. I hope they succeed.

The negatives? None for the resort itself - it was perfect for us, and if you're looking for somewhere totally away from it all (it's a boat ride to town, not even a road), it will be for you. In many ways, Deep Blue is like a live aboard with the kind of service and isolation you'd expect, but none of the hassle of living on a boat. And if you really DO want to keep in touch, remember there's free wireless internet in the restaurant/'club house', and free use of a couple of PCs.

Do make sure that you bring everything you need, as the isolation does have some disadvantages. Make certain you've got batteries for all your equipment, and bring plenty of insect repellent for the mossies and no-see-ums (though they're not a problem indoors, they are very prolific outside!)

In summary. we had a wonderful trip, and plan to return - but hopefully 'in season' next time.

• Liked — The quality of service, and friendliness of the owners and staff
  • Disliked — Bugs in outside areas (but it's a caribbean island, what do you expect!)
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure you bring everything you need, this is a small island and shopping is very limited
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank scada57
Minneapolis
Reviewed 28 October 2006

A truly memorable week at Deep Blue Resort. The delicious food. The welcoming atmosphere. The clean, comfortable room and spacious balcony (with hammock.) Plenty of books and magazines. Use of the Internet. Clean dive/snorkel equipment every day. Knowledgeable guidance about our dives/snorkels. Tips to protect sea life (and ourselves.) Best of all? My husband and I snorkeled with whale sharks! What a privilege. Far from feeling fear in the presence of the ocean's largest fish, I felt peace and wonder. Bring insect repellent for strolls along the beach at dusk; plenty of waterproof sun block; a flashlight, alarm clock and underwater camera. The ever-gracious owners of Deep Blue arranged our flights from San Pedro Sula to Utila.

• Liked — Cleanliness, quiet, big bed, hammock on balcony.
  • Disliked — Up quite a few stairs
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring insect repellent to discourage sand fleas.
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fibate
Guanajuato
Reviewed 14 August 2006

Deep Blue is a wonderful place for novice and advanced divers alike (we are part of the former group). We went with the idea of diving once a day, but with such great attention and service, we took advantage of all 3 daily dives. Our divemaster, Matt, was wonderful as were the rest of the crew and staff. I thought that I would never be interested in doing a night dive, but again, this team inspires a lot of confidence and it was a truly marvelous experience to dive at night. I also have to mention that Shirley did an outstanding job of setting up our logistics to and from the island - I don't think we have ever had such a seamless set of transfers! Our flight was booked from San Pedro Sula to La Ceiba, our charter to Utila was waiting for us as we got off the plane - we didn't even have to enter the terminal! Shirley was waiting for us with a taxi as we got off the charter in Utila. Ditto for the return trip.
Steve and Jasmine were around to see to our every need. The food is wholesome and satisfying (especially the baked goods). The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. We will be back!

• Liked — The personalized service and great diving access.
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bartola
Austin, TX
Reviewed 20 June 2006

A group of 12 of us spent June 3-10 with Deep Blue Resort/Divers, had a great time.

The facilities are just as advertised, and are as pictured on the website. Rooms are comfortable, with AC, balconies with a hammock, comfortable beds, with showers and a bathroom. Nice dining room-bar-lounge, also AC with 2 computers with internet access and connections for photo work, fish books, pool table, dart board, reading material, a deck that looks out on the Caribbean with Honduras in the background, etc. Jasmine makes sure you get three good meals a day, get choices for your dinners, drinks always at the ready.

The diving was really good. Boat crew Matt, Kelly, and captain Swin were excellent guides/hosts, and Steve and Jasmine tagged along on some dives. Good briefings on terrain with special notes on what to look for at particular sites, followed by an either escorted, or on your own dives, no time limits. Even if not escorting people, the DM were in the water, and pointing out interesting sea-life to anyone in their range. They also were very willing to help out, as one in our group hadnt been diving in a while and had some buoyancy issues, Matt offered to buddy up with her to help her work it out for a couple of dives, and she was good to go. After you came up, they assisted you if needed, and would switch out your gear to a fresh tank, and fresh fruit and water were readily available. At the end of the day, they would rinse your gear and take care of it, next morning it would be on the boat, rigged and ready to go. They were also very flexible, on most days when we would come back from the morning dives (the boat radios, so lunch is ready whenever you get back) and ask when were we going back out for afternoon dives, most times it was "what time do you want to go out?" and we would work out an agreed on time. One day we wished to change the night dive for an afternoon dive, Steve said, "if its ok with the boat crew, its fine with me", the boat crew was willing so the change was made. Shore diving was easy right out in front of the resort, swim through a sand channel and out to the wall. The best part, is if you told them you wanted to do a shore dive, they would bring all your gear and tanks to their sea wall at the appointed time, you did the dive, then they took it back, rinsed it, and it was ready on the boat for your next boat dive.. what a deal.

Our favorite sites were the sea mounts we were able to dive, because of the calm conditions the week we were there. We got to do 'Black Hills' twice (2nd our request), and even a yet unnamed mount where we did a 'drift' dive as there was no mooring, the sea life and coral conditions at these sites were outstanding. During the week we saw, besides the usual suspects, 4 seahorses, a frog fish, toadfish, eagle rays, nudibranch, and numerous turtles. On Wed. we got a special thrill, though Utila and Deep Blue are known for it we were very late in the season we were not counting on it, but we got to see and snorkel with a whale shark and manta's rays (well, mobula rays Steve corrected) . Through some word of mouth Steve had received about a sighting, the boat crew asked us if we would be willing to do some searching at a certain area, at a certain time (later in the day) to see what we could see. We of course agreed. Swin and Matt led us to that area, and it starting coming together.. boils, birds, tuna, I asked Matt what else they look for, he said "this is about as good as it gets".. and had us get in snorkel gear on the rail... a few moments later Swin exclaims "Manta's on the surface!", and right by the boat rays at the surface. We jumped in for a look, and damn if they didnt swim back under us again(maybe they were curious). We got back on the boat and went over to were the boil had moved to.. Matt said to be ready.. a few seconds later.. "There he is!!!..whale shark right by the boat, Go,Go!" and in we went. We got to do 3 jumps on different 'surfaces', and several of us got some decent pictures. It was a thrill, its one of those things you cant do justice with explanation..

It was truly a great dive trip, and Deep Blue definitely knows creature comforts geared for divers. It was really 'still' weather while we were there, which was great for the diving.. and the no-seemums as well, so you do need to have DEET on hand, but they were not an issue in the buildings themselves. Steve, Jasmine, and Matt were always on top of the Fish IDs and any and all dive discussions and info, although at the end of the week we photographed a foot and a half long 'worm' and we thought we had them stumped. But Steve followed up with some contacts of his, and he sent us an email (also a thread in scubaboard on "Name that Critter") with an ID, Sipunculus, first known sighting on Utila. Thanks again to Steve, Jasmine, Shirley and all the staff at Deep Blue for a great week.

• Stayed June 2006
7 Thank austintx
California
Reviewed 27 March 2006

I chose Deep Blue Resort primarily for the possibilty
of seeing Whale Sharks. My first morning I had three separate sightings while snorkeling- simply awesome.
I'm happy that no scuba diving was allowed with the Whale Sharks; these gentle huge fish need to be respected. Boat Captain Swinn was outstanding. He is an expert at spotting the Whale Sharks. He also was very kind to help me everyday in and out of the sea since I'm a small and new diver.
Matt and Steve, dive instructors, are very knowledgable and concerned for your diving safety and enjoyment. The night dive with Matt and the other four of us was the highlight of my vacation.
The secluded location, away from town, was a real plus, ensuring calm, quiet and peace. Internet access is available on two computers in the main dining and living room area. Thank you Jasmine and Shirley and Eddie for your attentiveness during my stay.

• Stayed March 2006
3 Thank angelfish7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Utila
The Colibri Hill Resort
#1 of 14 in Utila
The Venue - Utila
The Venue - Utila
#1 of 9 in Utila

Been to Deep Blue Resort Utila? Share your experiences!