“Wonderful stay at the Jade Seahorse!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Utila
Nightland Cabins at JadeSeahorse
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I stayed at the Jade Seahorse in a cabin for a week when I wanted to learn how to scuba dive on Utila Island. Let me just say that the photos do not do this place justice. Every inch, from the front gate to the walkways to the showers, is stunningly beautiful. The rooms were comfortable and well maintained. It is in a prime location to get to from the ferry, and to move about the island, and felt like a quiet little haven on the island. The owners and their daughter Tempy made sure that we were well cared for and enjoyed our stay. And to top it off, the tree house bar sealed the deal. I would highly recommend the Jade Seahorse!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Nightland Cabins at JadeSeahorse

Reviewed 9 May 2013

If you are reading this you have probably already seen the amazing photos on their website and read the detailed descriptions of other reviews... so I will not try to describe the indescribable. There is no other place like The Jade Seahorse on this planet. If Dr. Seuss was looking to get away for a week, this place would be at the top of his list. After a week of exploring the property, I still feel like I did not see all the beautiful artwork. The owner Neil poured his genius and heart into this creation over the last 20 years and you will be awed by his effort and dedication. My cabin was built and decorated with equal care, creativity, and attention to detail. The bed was big and comfortable and there were so many windows, I never needed the air conditioner. The owners are always available if something is needed. When Utila had a blackout, the family promptly delivered candles to each room. If you are unfamiliar with Utila, this place is slightly off main street so quieter at night. It is just a few minutes walk to the bank, the dive centers, and great restaurants. I would love to stay here again! Thank you Neil and Julia!

Room Tip: Each of the 6 cabins has a unique theme!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank FredFromBaltimore
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Last time we were in Utila, we were directed to the Jade Seahorse by our dive master, who said "For beautifulness, it can't be beat." We walked in, and our jaws dropped in wonder.

The best way to describe this place is a cross between a mosaic tile work museum made from recycled stuff and the Swiss Family Robinson's tree house. Every square inch of this place is covered in art. You can stare at something in a square foot for hours, but it's all part of a part of a greater masterpiece.

The bar, Treetanic, well...it's IN A TREE!!! How cool is that? They play an excellent and eclectic mix of music. We were there during a blackout, and the staff simply handed out candles, which people stuck in their empty Salva Vida bottles, until the place had a strange romantic glow to it.

The "Botanical Gardens" consist of walkways, ladders, bridges, gazebos, swings, winding stairs, all made of gorgeous mosaics of everything ranging from old teacups, old bottles, seashells, and bizarre artwork. Glass sculptures hang from nooks and crannies, among the lovely tropical plants and carefully planned lighting. It goes on and on forever too! If every human being on Utila decided to come into the Jade Seahorse on one night, I'm fairly sure that they could all fit.

We stayed three nights in the Mono Lisa Cabin, for $50.00 per night. That might seem expensive compared to diver hostels, but, hey, by American hotel standards, that's dirt cheap, and totally worth it. The cabins are as amazing and artful on the inside as the gardens and bar are on the outside. The shower was lined with little marbles. The ceiling boards were burn-etched with patterns, and no two were alike. A collection of bizarre, yet fitting art, all derived from The Mona Lisa were covering the walls. The four-poster bed was comfortable and beautiful. The blue gauzy curtains and red wooden floor added just the right touch.

We noticed a pattern that sometimes the air conditioning didn't work...usually when the bar was open...which...um...encouraged us to go to the bar. Good thing too. The bar was full of the coolest people I'd ever met: a guy from Alaska who'd white-water rafted with bears, a girl from Rhode Island who'd hiked the Appalachian Trail, European backpackers from various countries with stories to tell about trekking it up to Hondouras from Panama, an Aussie who'd just done some volcano boarding. Utila draws divers...divers love adventure. The stories I heard and the people I met were just fascinating!

On the last day of the trip, I sat out in the gazebo by our house for hours, contemplating our week, while chatting with other tourists.

I've read other reviews where people said that the cabins were too close to areas where people were talking. I didn't have much of this going on, but if I did, I'd take it as a sign that there were people outside I should probably meet, because they're probably having a good time.

Absolutely magic!

I will DEFINITELY stay here again!

Room Tip: We really liked the Mono Lisa cabin!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Linda R
Reviewed 27 April 2013

I visited Utila for the second time recently and after a pleasant and peaceful stay at the Jade Seahorse in 2010, I stayed again. The grounds are beautiful, artistic and uncommon something truly fascinating to see. Cabins were kept clean and were nicely decorated. There's a cool bar up in the trees however never poised a problem or anything with noise or rowdiness. Utila is a very laid back so if you're looking for a really nice chill place to stay I'd definitely recommend this place, Honduras is not America so don't expect everything to be exactly like it would be if you were staying in times square, it's different country learn, explore and enjoy the differences.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Jade seahorse is an amazing, fascinating oasis where you can dream or just admire an artists dream that became a reality - his hotel and magical garden. I've been coming to Utila every year for the past nine years and always stay at one of the Jade Seahorse' magical cabins. This time we also listened to impromptu cello and guitar concert in the garden. Great service with a smile, quirky and well kept, magical landscape... Utila at its best.

Room Tip: 'camasutra' cabin is quiet and quirky. We loved the design and details...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Don't get me wrong, the Jade Seahorse is gorgeous!

However, it is a place you visit and take pictures, not a place to stay. And don't worry, visitors are welcome at all hours of the night, so feel free to stop in and snap some photos. As there is no security random guests are encouraged to loiter outside of your cabin rooms.

Being one of the more expensive accomodations on the island I would expect a little more from this hotel. The service was shameful, in fact any service at all would have been an improvement. We didn't see a single staff member or another guest during our whole stay. It took us 20min to even check-in because an employer just wasn't available.

To top things off the water and electricity were shut off, we shared our accomodations with spiders, the wifi connection was weak and the presence of a cleaning staff was non-existant.

My recommendation is stoping in and having a beer at the Treetanic Bar, but leaving once you've taken a photo or two.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank sarah d
divequeen19, Manager at Nightland Cabins at JadeSeahorse, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2013

We missed you too. The last time we saw you guys was the day you checked in. We imagined you were having as much fun as the rest of the Easter bunnies.

We apologize for our wild and crazy Easter Week on Utila, and we hope to see you again at a less stressful time of the year.

JS

Reviewed 3 February 2013

One of my favorite spots in all of Honduras is the Jade Seahorse; once you walk through the gates into a magical Fantasea garden (yes, this is how you spell Fantasea in Utila) you know you're in for a treat. I can't wait to go back and sit at the Tree Tanic Bar and see the new creations in the garden since my last stay.

Room Tip: Each room is different and I recommend you try each one!!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple