“Changed my son's career path for the better.”
Review of Utila Dive Center

Utila Dive Center
Ranked #2 of 18 Tours in Utila
More attraction details
Owner description: The Utila Dive Centre is an established dive operation and hotel, offering all levels of scuba instruction from beginner to PADI Scuba Instructor, including Tec diving. Utila Dive Centre has been a PADI Career Development Center since 2002 and is the most popular and successful CDC in Central America. We have Instructor level continuing education courses (Specialty Instructor, Master Scuba Diver Trainer, IDC Staff Instructor) and internships that add real value to your training with us.
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

My son received the highest honors at college. I offered to reward him with an adventure. We settled on dive certification. After extensive research, we selected Utilla Dive Center because of their wonderful rep and proximity to great dive sites. At the end if one week, my son realized he missed his calling; he trashed his academic success and decided he would become a dive instructor. I couldn't blame him. Our experience at UDC was so much more than just a dive adventure. We were welcomed into the UDC family with such sincere interest in us and our experience with them. The island of Utilla is not a five star stop, but the underwater sites, and the people at UDC are. At any rate, we returned 13 months later and my son stayed on as a dive master working with the others at UDC. He's heading back next year to complete his instructors cert.
Our personal thanks to Sarah and Declund who made us feel like family. We weren't alone there. They exude kindness and display such sincerity in attempting to make every diver's stay wonderful. I'm embarrassed at how short this falls in expressing the gratitude they deserve for the way they, and the owner, treat all who visit them. We've been to other dive centers throughout Central and South America since, but have yet to find the same degree of excellence found at UDC. Thanks again. Doug

All reviews
"look no further"
in 7 reviews
"staff members"

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I arrived in Utila and immediately signed up to UDC as I'd been recommended by word of mouth. I wasn't disappointed. The whole experience was very professional, I always felt safe. We had two dive instructors and they were very friendly and very helpful and anyone who was struggling early on the singled out and gave extra tuition! they were also extremely accommodating because a friend of ours was doing the rescue PADI and they let us do our fun dives together. There was always a great atmosphere down on the dock, the place was always buzzing and they had evening activities too which were great fun! They have an international reputation too, i wouldn't dive anywhere else on the island

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Very good diving center, great classes and instructors, but not perfect, although understandable reasons.... We saw in our stay a few discussions between the staff which made it a bit uncomfortable, not sure who was right, but I understand that living in an island where everybody knows can be painful sometimes, as we say in Spanish "small town, big hell".

They provide us with all the necessary material for the course, the instructors were excellent, the equipment was very good and the accommodation included in the package was very very good; a beautiful place (about 10min walk from the center) with a lot of green areas, awesome swimming pool, basic rooms but good sleep and a very good restaurant/bar.

The only thing I didn't like is that after been so Pro-Environment, their boats pass A LOT of black smoke. They should look into renewing the engines.

There is another diving center next door that apparently is really good as well but the accommodation is in the same place of the diving center and you're not able to sleep properly as very early in the mornings they're filling the tanks, etc, and if you have a morning dive you don't sleep when the party is on....

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Spent last few weeks participating in DM training with UDC. The level of dedication, passion, professionalism, and support from all of the staff, but especially from the DM mentors Therese, Frankie, Sarah and Declan was amazing. Working with an unusual timeline, everyone worked hard to make sure I was able to gain valuable experience working with OW and advanced classes. In addition UDC gives DM trainees ample opportunity to get in additional dives to build confidence leading dives, working the boat and generally learning how a dive operation works. I highly recommend the team at UDC for training as well as just fun diving to some of the best sites Utila has to offer.