“Cheap and Awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Trudy's Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Utila
Trudy's Hotel
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Utila
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
“Cheap and Awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2012

I stayed at Trudy's while doing my Open Water SCUBA Certificate at Underwater Vision. I got a private room with a fan and a bathroom, and I was happy with the accommodations, especially for the price! It's not the fanciest place, but perfect for backpackers. The place was clean (and cleaned regularly by friendly staff), and it was a nice, location, just across from the Dive Center. The fun folks who run this place, make it all the more awesome!

Room Tip: I stayed on the lagoon side (across the street) where the rooms are roomier, cheaper, and quieter.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank JustinWasHere

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2012

This is the best choice of accomodation on Utila. I went through every other Dive Centre/Hostel on the Island and this was the best. Firstly the dive centre is great. The equipment is of a high standard and the boat was basic yet perfect. The dive centre is part of the hostel which is situated on the water. The dorms had only 4 person dorms and were perfect. The bar was fun and sociable. They organised a big screen for the Euro 2012 which was amazing ! The staff were flexible and always friendly.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Haarby
Terrigal, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2012

I stayed at Trudy's Hotel for almost two weeks and had a blast! the staff were always friendly, it was a really fun & social place too, with beach volley ball comps, good food & fun place to start a night out. I did my Advanced diving certification there with underwater vision & absolutely loved the experience! I'll be staying at Trudy's again for sure when I'm back in Utila !

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sheridan G
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2012

I stayed at Trudy's for a week, had a great laugh with the people there and some of the dive instructors however, did feel very pushed when I first arrived to complete a full dive course (somehting I turned down repeatedly). You get what you pay for really..no air con abd appauling fans in the $5/$8 dorms ($5 in your friends are diving). You can't have a bar tab and money has to be loaded onto your tab before you can eat or drink...waking up with a hangover (guaranteed on Utila) and realising you spent your money is therefore worse here than other hostels as you have to trek the 7 min walk for cash in the heat without water. The kitchen is ill equipped and shoddy but the mini beach and pier as superb :) If you stay a few days you can go snorkelling for free. The staff when you can get their attention are usually pretty good...a lovely guy who was staff or a friend of theirs picked me up some anti-histomines..thank you to you if you read this

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Yonk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

There are many mixed reviews here, I think it depends on the type of room you stay in. Mine was a 2 bed/1bath, we had ac and a ceiling fan. the room was small, but we spend hardly any time in it so it was more then acceptable, it was pretty cheap as well. The view from the porch outside my room felt like a piece of paradise ( to be fair my room was the closest to the water, but its pretty similar to the others, especially if on the second floor)
The little bar beneath the diving school has very affordable food, plus there is a little bodega just across from the property that has fruit and drinks.
The staff (both of trudy's and underwater vision) were both very accommodating, as well as friendly.
Someone mentioned "cheap but ordinary". This is somewhat accurate, but I don't think theres anything fancy on this island, its different the Roatan, its much more budget friendly. The setting of the property is pretty attractive as well. Its easy to mix with the other visitors, whether it be playing volleyball, laying in a hammock, laying on the dock, or having a drink at the bar. If you can afford it, I think its definitely worth spending the few extra dollars for the double with a/c.
It was my first time on the island so its hard to compare the other dive shops/hotels, but I would certainly recommend both without hesitation.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank dr3740
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012 via mobile

We decided to stay there because of the diving school but I was surprise by a lot of things.

First their rooms are small, 2 bunk beds but only one fan... Utila is a very hot island!
Second, only two restrooms with shower but nothing more, so when you need to go and the showers are occupied you better have a large blader!
Third, the room we stayed in was clean a few days before our arrivak with stuff for bed bugs, that's a good thing, but hat stuff is so powerfull it's smell really bad. But they rent the room anyway. I slept on the chair outside because I had headache and neausea, the next morning we asked to change room but it took almost 5 hours to get a new one... and they rent the room to different people at night.

The place have a great location and good food. A pooltable and a nice place to have lunch.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank driann4
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

Dorms are veryyy cramped, mosquito infested and sheets were either unwashed or badly blood stained, our one and only fan did not work and shared toilet's were constantly dirty and blocked up. I've previously stayed in over 15 hostel dorm's and this takes the cake of one the most unbearable. After our night there we shopped around and inspected pretty much every other available apartments/hostels/rooms on the island and found some great places. Staff are very friendly and helpful but would recommend spending a lil extra elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank lilaussiebattler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Utila
The Colibri Hill Resort
Coral View Beach Resort
The Venue - Utila
The Venue - Utila
#1 of 9 in Utila

Been to Trudy's Hotel? Share your experiences!