“Good hostel but bad scuba diving equipment”
Review of Trudy's Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Utila
Trudy's Hotel
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Utila
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Is a really nice hostel, clean and good prices, but the scuba dive equipment is in really bad shape, all the wet suit were destroyed, the regulator were in really bad shape, when we first check the equipment worked, but when we jump into the water it stop working so I could not have air. Really dangerous. They should do some maintenance to their equipment's and change them once in a while. The owner son (that works at the bar) is really really rude.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Stayed at a more affordable place with higher quality. Service would have compensated but don´t think it did, at any point.

Room experience: It was not even ready when we got to the hotel (even after being told I could get to the place at anytime for my check-in). Nobody had the key, and didn´t seem to care to get it for me anytime soon to lock the door and leave for breakfast. It was extremely small and the bathroom was not clean enough. We also paid for A/C room, and 2 power outages (that lasted over an hour) made it very unpleasant and made no difference to the "ammenity" I was looking for. At night, noise was unbearable, mosquitoes were my actual blanket, and if A/C had worked, we could have gotten some good sleep at least.

The location is OK though. Close to the Municipal dock but a little bit farther from the bars and restaurants

With all due respect to the owners/managers, I would personally look for a different place if I went back to Utila.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank carlosvirgilioa
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I was planning on staying in Utila for two or three nights and ended up staying for a week. This was largely thanks to my choice of accommodation at Hotel Trudy. Everyone stays here if they can and if not they come to Trudy's (connected with Underwater Vision Diving) to hang out.

There is a private bay to swim in, volleyball court, boat dock right outside of your room if you are diving, great food, movie nights, pizza nights, chicken wing nights and many excellent menu choices (the breakfast burrito and chicken panini were my favorites). Did I mention they have a crazy Italian and former barista (Manny) who will whip you up cappuccinos, latte's and any other coffee based concoction you like for breakfast?

The rooms are comfortable, look out onto the ocean and are filled with tons of fun backpackers from all over the world.

If you are looking to get your diving certification (of any level) this is the best dive spot to do so and there are plenty of options in Utila.

When I return to Utila, Trudy's can count on me staying there again.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 May 2014

A few of my friends and I decided to pay Utila a visit and we stayed here at Trudys. It is a nice place and staff are great but we had a bad experience with bites. When we arrived we noticed everyone had bites but we didn't pay no mind to it. Little did we know that we were going to end up the same way. We each ended up with over 100 bites. I actually had to see a Doctor because I was concerned. I have stayed in many places before but have never had this experience. The place is fabulous but something has to be done about the bugs. Aside from the bites everything else was great in Utila. We cruised the island in a gulf cart and the scenery is beautiful. We visited Jade Seahorse, Rehab, Cocos Locos and Tranquilla. We took a water taxi to Water Cay where we spent the day on our own island. I would return to Utila but will choose a different place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Just exellent.... had an awesome time. .. accommodations where great and staff was great the food was really good ....... best hotel in Utila!!!!!!! Can't wait to be there next year!!!!!!!!! I really recommend this hotel...

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Great place to stay and dive with. Staff is really friendly. Good accommodations. Food is good. Dive staff really know what they are doing and will make sure you enjoy your diving trip. Definitely a fun place to stay at. I highly recommend you stay at Trudy's.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We had heard about this hostel from someone we met along our trip and very glad we stayed there! Dorms are $8 a night and only have 4 beds per dorm. All the staff are very friendly and the bar always has something different going on every night from BBQ's to movie nights. The bar does close at 10 so it isn't too loud if you want to sleep but a very chill environment which was awesome, but also always somewhere to party! Utila is a very cute little island.

• Stayed: March 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Utila
Sea Eye Resort
#4 of 14 in Utila
Splash Inn Dive Resort
Splash Inn Dive Resort
#1 of 9 in West End

Been to Trudy's Hotel? Share your experiences!