“Would stay again, but wouldn't dive with”
Review of Trudy's Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Utila
Trudy's Hotel
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Utila
Fort Worth, Texas
“Would stay again, but wouldn't dive with”
Reviewed 3 December 2010

I stayed 7 days and recommend the hotel but not the dive shop.

The hotel is in a great location - easy walk to plenty of restaurants, bars, shopping, dive shops, yet removed enough that it is peaceful enough to nap in a hammock during the day and is very quiet at night (and I am a light sleeper). The outdoor restaurant/bar was great. The food was good, they had coffee (great for those early morning dives!), and it was quite the social hub. I was traveling alone and it was very easy to make friends here as there were lots of other very friendly travelers from around the world in their 20's/30's. I had a private upstairs room closest to ocean (it had 2 single beds). The shower had hot water all the time. When the power went out the hotel had a generator for the bar/restaurant. The staff was very friendly (except for the gal who worked the restaurant/bar who was local. I tried to be nice. I always tipped really really really well. But she was never kind to me or anyone else. But I can also understand where she is coming from.) My major problem: I did not have room service (as in basic cleaning) the entire time (7 nights). I'm not kidding. I even asked management about it - they promised to send someone to my room but it never happened. Luckily the second bed in the room was unused so after a few nights I switched to the other bed. When I am paying $25 per night per room for an oceanfront hotel am more than happy that I have a room with hot water, AC, and no insects. (I am absolutely terrified of spiders and the room was really clean with no bugs (I looked under the bed and in the corners) and I never had to use my mosquito net). But seriously, I expected housekeeping at least every other night. I was informed that housekeeping will refuse to clean any room that they deem too dirty. My room wasn't exactly super clean and some sand got tracked in, but at the very least I wanted a clean towel and my sheets changed every few days. Nope. Didn't happen - even after multiple requests. But I would still stay here again.

The dive shop. That's another story.
Although I had my Advanced cert. I only had 15 dives prior to diving with the dive shop associated with Trudy's. Running out of air on a dive was absolutely unheard of with other shops. However, on my first dive with this shop half the group ran out of air. I was later informed that this is normal for them as they feel that there is no need to cut a dive short for others when buddy breathing can be done. No, that is not okay! Although I stayed with this hotel I never did another dive with their shop. I dove with three other shops during my Honduras trip and they were all safety conscious.
I would stay with the hotel, but wouldn't dive with their shop.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
5 Thank coratraveler

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
san francisco
Reviewed 6 September 2010

This place certifies a lot of new divers. Things are relatively safe if you are diving with an instructor, but somewhat inexperienced divemasters make the 'fun dives' a little bit edgy.
Add to that rental gear that is constantly being used by beginners (faulty depth gages, inaccurate pressure gages, hard to operate BCD inflators, etc.) and you get a recipe for near disaster.

While I was diving there almost everyday there was someone who ran out of air underwater (in all of my 50+ previous dives, I've never seen that happen), in some instances two or three people in the same group ran out of air, indicating that the divemaster did not plan properly. It seems like they are under pressure (no pun intended) to make the dives last as long as possible. At no point was there an agreement on what the 'low air pressure' at which the dive is terminated (usually 50bar ~/ 700 psi) which meant often people were sharing air by the end of the dive, and about half of the divers would surface with less than 300psi, which is below what DAN recommends!!

Anyway, place is great to stay, atmosphere is awesome and people are great, but after you finish your course or if you're there just for fun diving, make sure you're extra careful!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank phaidonx
Reviewed 30 August 2010

Very nice clean, illuminated private rooms (maybe a little small).
Good price (25$ for a double room) and friendly atmosphere in the diving center.
No room cleaning on Sundays.

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank Filippo M
Wanaka, New Zealand
Reviewed 12 July 2009

We had such an amazing time staying at Trudy's and divning with Underwater Vision. They have new facilities which means great rooms, comfortable beds, amazing location, clean bathroomw with hot water ALL the time, a cool chillout/ hammock area and incredible instructors. Not to mention that the laid-back staff (especially Tamara) was incredibly nice and informative. If I go to Utila again, that's where I'm staying. No internet or breakfast but I didn't care. If you do any certifications with Underwater Vision you stay there for free and if you're diving with them you pay less for those nights.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank wai13
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed 6 June 2008

I stayed at Trudy's for 7 days in May, 2008. Trudy’s is affiliated with Underwater Vision diving (UV). For the following three reasons, they are hands down the BEST operation on UTILA.

First, the people operating the hotel and dive operations were great. Trudy’s/UV is a family owned and operated business. The owner’s live on the property and treat you like family. They dive instructors and dive masters have been trained at UV and are a part of the family.

Second, the diving operation is great. The class sizes are small and affordable. Instructors are very knowledgeable and work with you to make the classes enjoyable. At several of the other dive shops I’d here the divemasters complaining and see the cattle boats going out full every morning. Not at UV.

Lastly, Trudy's Hotel was GREAT. Its right on the water and 30 yards from the water. The hotel is about a year old. You wake up and walk across the volleyball court to the dive boat! Its a 5 minute
walk to the bars so its not as noisy at night. There are three options for rooms.
(1) 4 person dorm rooms with fan/shared bath at $5 a
night town
(2) Private rooms with 2 twins- basic clean rooms with
private bath and A/C. ~$30
(3) Suites with a full and twin bed with private bath,
A/C, refrigerator, A/C and TV(so its quiet at night).
~$50

I got my Advance Open Water Certification there and
can’t wait to get back. Tell them pegleg sent ya.
(I’ve got an amputated leg and a warped sense of
humor)

Email Tamara Cooper @ [--] for
reservations

• Liked — Rooms were great, pride of a family run business and laid back atmosphere
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008
1 Thank ipegleg
Marin County, California
Reviewed 5 March 2008

Our friend was referred to Hotel Trudy and Underwater Visions as the place to go in Utila. I was so glad we stayed here. It is the nicest place that I saw, the location is absolutely ideal. Underwater visions shares the property and the dive boat is right there on site. The staff/owners/dive masters are the best. Dave, Louie, Ryan, Diego and Captian Hoover made all our dives memorable. We did 2 tank dives every morning, and sometimes went out in the afternoon if there was enough interest. We just asked for what we wanted and the crew was very accomodating.

Hotel Trudy is located right on the water. Although there is no sandy beach, you can jump right into the water off the dock. Several places to eat are located nearby. The store is just a short walk away. The prices can't be beat and you get a discount if you take a scuba certification class. We weren't planning on taking a course, but decided to take our advanced open water course with Dave and it was great. We stayed for 8 days, got in 16 dives.

The property is clean and comfortable. The owners are on site and are incredibly nice and accomodating.

• Liked — Location, dive staff, owners
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank traveldiver7
Denver
Reviewed 9 October 2007

We discovered Trudy's upon arrival at Utila (they meet the ferry )
We were due to stay at another hotel but did not like the location.

Trudy's was just a 5 minute walk to town (so its quiet at night).
They offer either shared rooms with Shared bath or "Suites" with private bath, AC, microwave and a Fridge for $45.00 usd per night. Our Room was very clean, lots of storage to unpack,
plenty of hot water, very cold AC and 10 feet from the water so you could just walk out your door and jump right into the water. The water was crystal clear, the staff extremely friendly. They operate their own dive center there and have a boat. I did not take the dive classes but was able to go out on the boat with the divers to Snorkle at no extra charge.

There is no "beach" at the hotel but we were only 5 minute walk to a beautiful beach (pay beach but is was well worth the 3.00 )

we were only suppose to stay 4 or 5 days at Utila but loved everything about Utila that we ended up staying 9 days. This was one of the most relaxing, no stress trips I have ever taken

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TravelAgentDenver
Also consider these accommodations in or near Utila
The Colibri Hill Resort
Coral View Beach Resort
Coral Beach Village
Coral Beach Village
#1 of 14 in Utila

Been to Trudy's Hotel? Share your experiences!