“Perfect location and beautiful views”
Review of The Lighthouse

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Utila
The Lighthouse
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Utila
Sarasota, FL
“Perfect location and beautiful views”
Reviewed 16 March 2010

Thought that this hotel was excellent. The owners, Thelma and O'Neal are very freindly and knowledgeable about the island. They picked us up and dropped us off at the ferry. The hotel is located about 5 min from the center of town. The views over the water are great. You can snorkel on the grass flats in front of the hotel. Will have to bring our fishing rods next time.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
wisconsin
Reviewed 12 March 2010

I stayed at a different hotel first night and it wasn't good. Checked out almost every hotel on the island and when I saw The Lighthouse I instantly new this was the one. Thelma takes great care of everyone entering her premises. Rooms are perfect no immaculate. Maid is wonderful. And even though $43 per night is higher than most on Utila It was worth every penny. You are safe here and can sleep at night cause it's quiet. We had a small spotted Eagle Ray under our room every day circling.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank deepdiverhermano
Comayagua
Reviewed 8 March 2010

This is my second visit to the island and I returned to the Lighthouse because of the comfort and service. If you have the slightest problem, Thelma and Owen will sort it out for you. They really look after you. When I return, I'll stay with them again. The rooms, buildings and area are cleaned daily. They always have electricity as they have their own generators (the island has only gets its electrical from centrally run diesel generators which can be overloaded during peaks times like Semana Santa). They're located towards the end of the bay (west side) but it's just a couple minute walk into the center of town. Nothing is far on Utila.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Diver_chica
The Dalles, Oregon
Reviewed 28 December 2009

We really loved our stay at the Lighthouse on Utila. The location, just before the bridge leading to the area of the old airport, puts it in a quieter section of town and near good fishing, a nice beach area, and great snorkeling. It's practically across the street from our favorite restaurant, RJ Barbecue, and my favorite dive shop, Alton's. The rooms are spacious and spotless with comfortable beds, ac, hot water, and kitchenettes (refrig, sink, micro but no stove or oven). The hotel is over the water and has wrap-around balconies with beautiful sunset views. The owners are very friendly and accommodating. We stayed a week and received a special rate - $300 - which brought the per nightly rate down to about $42, which we felt was a great value.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Norwich
Reviewed 23 October 2009

We stayed at the Lighthouse Hotel for two weeks. We are not divers and there is not much else to do on Utila. So we found the Lighthouse just fitted the bill for a holiday of relaxing, snoozing, reading and just chilling out. Fantastic views of the bay from the balcony which runs completely round the building on both levels. The Lighthouse is an accommodation-only hotel so you have to venture into "town" (only a few minutes walk or you can try and get a tuk tuk taxi) for your meals but the in-room kitchen is adequate for breakfast and beverages. Thelma, the owner, and her staff could not do more to make the stay something to remember. We will be going back.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Florida
Reviewed 2 August 2009

The Lighthouse was a fantastic choice for my stay prior to boarding the Utila Aggressor for a week of diving. O'neil met me at the airport and transported me to the hotel. My room was on the top level on the corner where I had an incredible view of the bay. As I walked along looking down into the water, I had my first siting of sea life.....a beautiful orange puffy starfish! It was fun to walk around the perimeter of the rooms looking for sealife below the water. After resting up a bit, I enjoyed lounging in the hammock that is provided right outside my door. I enjoyed reading and gazing out over the water as the pelicans flew in. My room was very spacious and up to date with furnishings. It was very nice to have a refrigerator so I could have cold drinks and ice. The first night, I enjoyed dinner in town which is just a short walk away. The location is really good because it is very quiet at the hotel and yet, you are just a short walk away from restaurants, bakery, grocery stores, bank, internet spot, and dive shops. If you have your computer, then you would not be interested in the internet spot because the hotel has wi-fi access. I dove the second day I was there and it was just a very short walk to the dive dock. After diving, I walked downtown to get cokes and snacks. My dive buddy joined me on the third afternoon and O'Neil met her at the airport also. Both of us were very pleased with the room size and the great location of the hotel. We also liked the fact that the premises has fencing and a gate for added security. After going to town for dinner, we were very glad that the air con in our room was rapid in cooling the room down. There was a nice cross breeze when you opened the sliding door and window but it was even nicer to have the air con!!!! The buildings and yard are kept up very well and there is a cage with two toucans that are just gorgeous! The Lighthouse is definitely a cut above other places I have stayed in Honduras and is very reasonably priced.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
San Diego, California
Reviewed 29 June 2009

We stayed at the lighthouse for a week in June and loved it! Aside from the hammoks and comfy chairs one of the things we loved the most about staying there was being above the water. Every morning we woke up, made a cup of coffee and watched the fishes wake below us before heading off to dive. The lighthouse is in a good location close to Altons and several other dive shops as well as RJs BBQ which has great food! We enjoyed staying a walk away from the central area since the roads were loud and there was lots of motorbike traffic that made the center hectic. We highly recommend the lighthouse and look forward to returning someday.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple