“Best. Hotel. EVER.”

Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Copan
Washington DC
“Best. Hotel. EVER.”
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I came back from Honduras and Guatemala last night and although I have a million things to do at work I HAD to take the time to write this review and let you know how AMAZING is this boutique hotel. Everything about it. I spend three nights there with my family (my husband and two kids, ages 2 and 4) and we had a blast. Rina is the sweetest person on earth. She even brought us a huge plate with fruit one night after we came back from a horse riding trip. "I figured you would be tired and would like some fruit", she said.
The location is GREAT, we walked everywhere. The decoration is gorgeous and again, the people who work there are amazing. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone that goes to Copan!
We loved Copan too, especially the people on the streets.

Room Tip: I had room 1 and it was great
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Titulina

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
London
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Stayed two nights and loved the experience from start to finish. We were warmly greeted (the hotel is so small they know who is arriving and greet you by name) by the owner, Rina, whose pride in her hotel is obvious. The room was at the front, but the double glazing kept out street noises. It was huge, with a king and two single beds which we used as day beds/sofas -- great after a morning spent walking around the ruinas. Everything was immaculately clean and very tastefully decorated. The cafe downstairs served great breakfasts and lunchtime sandwiches. The lady working there is very friendly and accommodating. The shops in the little "street" have the nicest selection of handicrafts I've seen in central America - save your purchasing until you get here. The prices were reasonable, too. There is a nice sitting area upstairs with a library of second-hand books that you can read andexchange.

Everyone working in this establishment was friendly, helpful and warm. We thought that it was great value for money.

Room Tip: The front rooms are the best bet -- back rooms have two queen beds and are therefore a little crampe...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 9 June 2012

The wife and I had the pleasure of staying in this wonderful hotel in Copan while visiting the Mayan Ruins for a few days. Its central to everything in Copan with the rooms being excellant even though the queen bed was a little hard for my tastes "laughing". The staff where fantastic and always helpful and we would definitely recommend this as the place to stay in Copan.

Room Tip: Book early to get a room with a balcony over looking the street, great place to sit in the mornings...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 26 May 2012

We stayed here for one night and wished we could have stayed longer. The hotel is beautiful, a real gem with great service. Very well maintained and decorated. Good location with many restaurants nearby. Friendly staff. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
dallas tx
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Excellent hotel ,excellent service....love the little restaurant ,good for breakfast ,reasonable prices..beautifull decorated...

Room Tip: second floor /rooms on the back,the best airconditioning.....
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 May 2012

I spent two nights at Yat B'alam and highly recommend it. The room was very clean, the fixtures, linens, and furniture were of good quality and the decor is tasteful and understated so it has a pleasant atmosphere. On a practical level it has a number of things going for it. First, great water pressure in the shower and plenty of hot water. Second, they have their own generator so when the power cuts out in Copan (daily) they are still up and running. Third, it is a block south of the main plaza, facing away from the square so you are close enough to walk there but are insulated from the noise. Fourth, they have their own little cafe that serves GREAT coffee (I visited several cafes in Copan and most of the coffee was watered down - but not the coffee at Balam!). And their breakfasts are pretty good as well. Finally, the staff is very nice and eager to help out in any way they can. When I checked out, after I had paid, the manager asked "What's the ONE thing we could do better?" I love that question - they dont have to ask, they have my money and I am out the door but they really want to know how they can improve. Overall this was a better experience than I have had in many American hotels costing twice as much.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
West Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 29 April 2012

I stayed for 2 nights in April 2012. Very nice little guest house with a small cafe at the street and 4 rooms upstairs with an open area and rockers. Staff spoke very limited (to no) english so it helped to know some spanish, but they were incredibly attentive and very eager to please. We felt so incredibly welcomed. When we arrived, we were sick from a crazy car ride from San Pedro Sula and were immediately provided with free ginger ale to help. They also called and made arrangements as needed for car rides, etc.

The room was cozy but comfortable. The AC struggled until later in the night (presumably less power consumption) so it worked normally. Comfortable beds, fairly quiet, and clean. I would definitely recommend it. Very convenient location right in the center.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends