“Perfect!”

Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Copan
Chicago, Illinois
“Perfect!”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Our stay at this beautiful hotel was so relaxing! Visiting our newly married son and his wife in Honduras we booked two rooms and they couldn't have been more comfortable. Everyone from checkin to check out could not have been more pleasant or helpful.

Arrived back late one afternoon and found they had sent 2 free fruit trays up to both rooms,what customer service! Rina and her entire staff made us feel so safe and comfortable!
We had to leave a day early and to my surprise they refunded our payment on both rooms and were extremely understanding.

Loved Copan and Yat B'alam!

Lisa K

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Friday Harbor
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I was lucky enough to find availability at this hotel when my Tac-Tac driver couldn't find the hotel I had originally booked. When he stopped in front of Yat B'alam to get directions, I decided to see if they had a room available for 2 nights. I had thought seriously about staying here when planning my trip but decided to go some place less expensive since I had planned to spend most of my time touring the ruins and visiting local sights like MacCaw Bird Mountain Preserve and the Canopy Zip Lines.

Staying at Yat B'alam was the best decision I made. I stayed in 4 different places in Honduras and this was my absolute favorite. They have only 4 rooms which are situated above a lovely courtyard. They had a wonderful cafe' and a great gift store where I bought all of my Christmas presents to bring back to Seattle.

Although the folks that worked there spoke little English, communication wasn't a problem. The ladies in the cafe' understood that I wanted to see the ruins and set me up with an excellent tour guide, Caesar. I was very lucky because he spoke perfect English and had been working at the ruins, off and on, since he was 12 years old. He had many stories about the uncovering of artifacts and the meaning and purposes of various buildings and stone carvings. Caesar made all of the transportation arrangements and even took me to the bird reserve and ziplining!

I had a wonderful time and was very happy to have my lovely room with the comfortable bed, air conditioning and a big roomy bathroom to return to each night. I only wished I would have planned a few more days to stay there as the hotel is perfectly located near the town square to have access to shops and restaurants but far enough away to get a peaceful nights sleep snuggled down in the big comfy bed! It was also a very friendly place for a female traveling alone, I walked around at night and I was never concerned about my safety.

Room Tip: I loved my room, #2. It had the most comfortable king sized bed and my bathroom was large with lots...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We stayed at Yat B'alam in January of 2013.

We only had a day and a half in Copan and wished we could have stayed longer. Had we known how lovely the little village and Yat B'alam would be, we would have planned to stay longer.

We did the ruins which were really great (get the guide as they are fantastic) and we were amazed at the good (and cheap!) food that you could get all over Copan.

The Hotel staff was wonderful waiting around for us to finish our white knuckle drive in pitch blackness to get there from SPS (recommendation: There are small flights all over Honduras, use them. Driving and rental cars are rough going, and the ferry to the bay islands are awful). The staff was wonderful throughout, the town was charming, and rooms were sweet and cute, as well as reasonably priced.

Loved this place very much.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 6 December 2013

My daughter and I were extremely pleased with everything about Yat B'alam. The room (one of 4) was comfortable with great beds, fridge, TV, and access to a large selection of DVD's. It was nice to find a big bottle of water restocked in the fridge every day. Small gesture, but very thoughtful and helpful. The bathroom had a roomy shower with great hot water and pressure. One afternoon a delicious large fruit plate was brought to our room, compliments of the hotel. It's the little things. . .

The ambience of the small and intimate hotel was lovely with beautiful bright colors and plants. There was a nice lounge area overlooking the narrow cobblestone street below. The gift shop was excellent and a place where one can purchase very nice quality gifts for a reasonable price. Breakfast was not included, but the small restaurant with just a few small tables (two of them streetside) served fabulous food. . .breakfast baleadas, avocado, fruit, several types of pita and bagel menu items, delicious coffee, tasty baked sweets, all at a good price. All hotel personnel are friendly, helpful, and welcoming. Rina, who managed our reservation and manned the front desk as well as helping out everywhere else, was absolutely gracious and helpful with every single detail including planning of tours, etc. Every single person seemed to go out of their way to make our stay comfortable and enjoyable.

I appreciated that the location was not directly on the town square, but a couple of blocks away making for a quieter sleep. Also, we were just steps away from two of our favorite restaurants: Twisted Tanya's and Carlos's great little cheese, sandwich, and wine establishment. What a treat these both were!

We will definitely return to Copan (magical) and will look no further than Yat B'alam---SO glad we chose to stay there!

Room Tip: We were very fond of room #4 as it was not directly on the street. Others might prefer a streetside...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I can't say enough about how great this hotel was. We had one of the front rooms. It had a queen sized bed and two single beds. Their own description of the smaller beds make them seem small, but my dad had no problem sleeping on one. The balcony was pretty small, but it was still nice to have.
There was a mini-fridge, powerful air-conditioning, a ceiling fan, strong wi-fi that allowed me to check my email and upload photos, and it was all supported by a backup generator. The power went out frequently, but everything kept running (unlike at Don Udo's where the only things that kept working were the lights).
The bathroom was also really nice. There was plenty of hot water, and the water pressure was great. The whole building is only about 5 years old, so everything is fairly modern.
The cafe downstairs was good. The breakfasts at Don Udo's were a bit better, just more authentic. The coffee was delicious, and it was super convenient to have the cafe right downstairs.
The staff was amazing. They were soooo friendly and helpful. We spent time just chatting with them, getting to know them, and asking their advice about what to do. We had a little bit of problem connecting with this one tour guide to take us to Ipala and Esquipulas in Guatemala, but the owner worked it all out for us. She called him and his family to track him down and sort out the details. It turned out that he was in Guatemala and not checking his business phone until he returned.
This hotel made a huge difference for us. It wouldn't have been the same without Yat B'alam. If we go back to Copan, we will certainly be staying here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mario M
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I spent 4 nights here at the end of September and loved it. So much so that I'm Writing a review which I never do. The rooms are great. Well decorated and well taken care of. There is a cafe in the basement for breakfast before you head out on your daily adventure and security to let you back in if you have a late night. The town of Copan felt safe and quaint even at night there are a variety of restaurants to choose from to appease all tastes and budgets. See the ruins, go to the hot springs or even hike a dormant Volcano in Guatemala on a day trip. Rina can put you in touch with guides and private transfers and whatever you need. I can't say enough about this place. Check it out for yourself and you'll feel right at home.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CanadianFelix
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 October 2013

The staff was absolutely inviting and friendly. They helped us set up tours right away. The rooms were adorable. Copan is small so it was easy to walk around or find a tut tut. Definitely my favorite hotel that we stayed at in Honduras.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends