“Great hostel”
Review of Iguana Azul

Iguana Azul
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Hot showers with water pressure, need I say more? Yes, because this hostel is unique. Offering dorms and private rooms this hostel is well maintained and located in a beautiful town. There is night security and lockers with locks in dorms, a very welcoming and safe environment!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jocelyne B

Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

This hostel was just what we wanted, the private room was a great size, clean and nicely decorated. The showers and toilets outside we're clean and had hot water. There is a small communal area inside and a table set on a patio outside.

There are lots of useful pieces of information in the communal area, including best places to eat/drink, and great free things to do in the area. We would recommend paying to go to the hot springs.

Felt very safe, the keys are next door with the owner if there is no answer from the bell, and from 5pm there is someone sitting outside with a key to let you back in.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed with my wife another friend and three university students. We used two private rooms and three beds in the dorm. The owner has done it different. All the rooms have shared bath rooms but private rooms are spaciuos and very clean. The outside bathrooms are spotless set up with 3 toilets, three showers and 3 hand sinks.
I loved it and for $7 dorm beds, and $17 double I think it was a great deal.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I have backpacked throughout Europe, Central America, and the Balkans. Iguana Azul is in a class of its own. You will NOT be disappointed with staying here. They are definitely relaxed with the reservations process (what do you expect, it's a hostel for the wandering types!) and if there is a bed available, you can show up and have it...but it does book quickly and if you fail to reserve you may be SOL. Regardless, this place is a total gem. It's a in a quiet location about 5 minutes from the main area of Copan (you can walk across the entire town in like 10 minutes). It has 24 hour security (which we didn't feel was necessary in Copan...it's so safe there...but it is still a nice touch). The ceilings are high and with fans and beautifully finished wood. There is fast wifi and a comfortable and creatively-decorated common area. Toilets are impeccably clean, showers are HOT and large, and there is plenty of space to play cards and get to know other travelers. I would not stay anywhere else if I return to Copan. The price cannot be beat for the quality. Also, the bed and breakfast next door is owned by the same people (Casa de Cafe, I think) and they have an AWESOME breakfast with views that look out over the Honduran mountains. There are four star hotels that could take tips on cleanliness, ambiance, and service from the Iguana Azul. Oh yeah, and there is a big refrigerator and also unlimited FREE bottled water (thank you thank you thank you!!)

Room Tip: The private rooms are great if you are a couple, but the dorm rooms are very spacious and secure wit...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Deciding to visit Copán Ruinas as a last-minute side trip was an excellent idea. After a quick Google search, my husband and I found the Iguana Azul hostel, our top choice to stay. I emailed the hostel and within a couple of hours I heard from Howard, the owner, that we had a place to stay.

Among Iguana Azul's varied acclaims, I'd read that it was named a "top ten" hostel world-wide. Indeed! In all of our travels (India, Nepal, Central America, Mexico), this place certainly ranks at the top of the list.

As conscientious budget travelers, you never know what you're going to get, but Iguana Azul delivered on EVERY front. It's not only a beautiful place in terms of the grounds, but clearly a lot of care and attention are paid to the smallest of details.

We stayed in one of the private rooms, which was simple, yet artsy, super clean with a ridiculously comfortable bed, two large airy windows, and best of all: great lighting.

The bathrooms and showers were impeccably clean and offered hot water.

Two other great perks of this place: a) free purified water and b) a common area that is chaulk-full of useful resources, including a bulletin board with ongoing events and other pertinent details that give you an insider's scoop of what to see and do while in the area, where to eat and how to get around.

Iguana Azul hit the mark on every level. We were disappointed that we couldn't book more than one night since the place was full. We were lucky, however, to discover Casa De Cafe B&B -- Iguana Azul's more mature and lavish sister. Check out my other review for that place ... a real gem.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Had a bad experience with reservations at this hotel. Because our shuttle bus changed the date of our trip to Copan, we had to change the date of our hotel reservations. Folks at the Iguana Azul told us that they didn't think they had a double for that night, but we could check when we arrived, and if they did not have one, they would reserve two hostel beds in the shared dorms. They did not, however, hold any beds for us. We had anticipated not having the double (they wouldn't say, but it sounded like they were full, and the only chance of getting a room was that someone would cancel). However, it was very disappointing that they did not hold two hostel beds for us as they had said. If they do honor your reservation, the hotel otherwise seemed to be nice from what I saw of it. Compared to other places in town, it is a bit farther from the center, about 5 or 6 blocks, which is a noticeable difference in a town where everything is pretty concentrated in the two blocks around the square. Though it is overall a small town, so the

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
copanhonduras, Owner at Iguana Azul, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Thank you for your comments. I received an e mail from the guest requesting a private double room and the room was reserved for them. At the last minute the guests needed to change their arrival date due to a problem with shuttle transport. I clearly stated to the guest via e mail that I could not guarantee accomodations, as this was during the very busy Christmas - New Years period - but assured the guests that I would do my very best to accomodate them in the hostel. Upon arrival, unfortunately there was no space at the hostel in a private or dorm rooms. I expressed to the guests that if there was a cancellation or any change during the day, we would happily accomodate them. Unfortunately a room or dorm beds did not open up at that time. Our policy at Iguana Azul is to never overbook and we always do our very best to honor every single reservation and treat our guests professionally and with the respect they deserve. This has been our policy since we opened in 1997. Unfortunately in this case, this was just not possible, the fact that the guests needed to change their reservation at the very last minute, combined with the very busy Christmas - New Years high season, made it impossible to offer them a bed. I expressed my sincere apologies to the guests that we were not able to offer them a bed for the night. I feel confident that we did everything possible to accomodate the guests and treated with them in a professional & courteous manner.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

What a fantastic hostel! More like a four-star hotel--in fact, much better than rooms I've paid 10x as much for. The owner maintains a subdued, hands-off approach, and he is impeccably honest.

Sadly, I could only stay for one night because the place is booked solid...so plan ahead a little if you want a tranquil, affordable, and beautifully furnished room with high ceilings and large comfortable bed.

The median age for a hostel is somewhat above the norm (at least while I was here)...so, it's less frantic than many of the youth hostels I've stayed in. Looking forward to taking in the sights of this quaint little town and the ruins.

Room Tip: Make a reservation in advance if you want a private room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo