“Little Slice of Heaven”
Review of Terramaya

Terramaya
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Copan
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This was our second time staying at Terramaya and it is just the loveliest gem of a hotel. We always head to Finca El Cisne outside of the city for a few days of country living, and it is a joy to head into town and check into Terramaya. We are always warmly greeted with the offer of a beverage - clean sheets and clean rooms, plus a lovely shower or bath - you feel like a new person! Breakfast is always fresh, delicious and fills you up for your day's adventures. I recommend Terramaya to anyone heading to Copan - either for a romantic weekend or with your children.

Room Tip: I love Room #5 - bathtub, balcony, day bed - HEAVEN!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Just back from a scheduled 2-day stay at Terramaya that we cut short to 1 miserable night. Our visit to this supposed oasis of peace and serenity started poorly: at checkin we were greeted by 3 couples and their 6 infants/toddlers running around the lobby, screaming and crying. After a full day of travel, we had hoped to relax in the garden or on our balcony, but the noise could be heard even inside our room, so we headed out immediately.

When we returned after dinner, ready to get to bed early, the other guests were thankfully absent. Unfortunately, loud music from the town square started shortly thereafter. When asked, Mariana, the receptionist, told us the music would stop by 9 or 10, which seemed unlikely, as it was already past 8. As it happens, we put up with 5 hours of pounding rock and heavy metal which finally ended at 1:45 am. When I complained to Mariana in the morning, she was apologetic, telling me that often the music in the square runs well past the scheduled stop time. I suggested that we should have been warned prior to arrival that there was a music festival scheduled that would be loudly audible from our room (earplugs and pillows over the head couldn't blot it out) and might continue late into the night. Eventually the manager called to apologize as well (neither the manager nor owners were on-site), but took no responsibility and offered no compensation. It was only after I suggested that the readers on Tripadvisor might be interested in my experience that I received an email from the owner (with a wholly insufficient offer of a bottle of wine) and a visit in person from the manager. By that time I had already made arrangements to skip a second night of "peace and serenity" at Terramaya and travel back to San Pedro Sula.

I thought this would be the end to our ordeal, but it was not to be. I asked the woman at the desk to order a taxi to take us to San Pedro Sula, but 10 minutes later, two Tuk-Tuks arrived (suitable for a 2 mile journey, not one of 100 miles). In their defense, the women working a the hotel were very sweet and attempted to help, but their English was often inadequate to the task. When a proper taxi was called, it turned out to be the same driver who brought us to the hotel from San Pedro Sula the previous day. Through the manager, Hamlet, who had by then arrived to speak with us, the driver asked for payment in advance, claiming that I owed him $10 from the last ride (I had paid $140, he wanted $150). I was quite sure the cost I had been quoted was $140, but did not have the email at hand to prove it. Hamlet said their email records were off-site and he had not recorded the taxi price with my reservation. I paid the taxi driver the extra, not having any option. Hamlet agreed to split the difference with me ($10). Though I was confident I was being overcharged, I was happy to pay the extra cash to escape this oasis of "peace and serenity". Later I found the email and discovered I had been quoted $140. It seems the taxi service had raised their prices and nobody had bothered to alert me.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank brooklyn3
copanhonduras, Owner at Terramaya, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for your comments & critiques of Terramaya. We value your opinions.

I would like to comment on your observations one by one:

First off, for those who are familiar with Easter Week in Latin America, the week long holiday is a combination of Summer Vacation, New Years & Christmas all wrapped up in one. Hundreds of thousands of Hondurans, expats & foreign tourists pack tourism destinations for the yearly holiday.

During Easter Week we were honored to have as our guests 3 families from the US Embassy in Tegucigalpa with their young children. Our policy at Terramaya is to make our hotel both family friendly and couples friendly - always striving to maintain an ambiance of tranquility and relaxation for all our guests. Unfortunately, in this case it was just not possible and we apologized to the guest.

Secondly, the guest noted that there was loud music at night from an event organized by the city government. I'd like to note a couple of points here. The cultural event which was
sponsored by the town govt took place in the central square, 3 blocks from Terramaya. We never received any notification from the organizers regarding starting time, ending time nor program to be followed. As those who have travelled in Latin America may know, loud music is an
inherent part of fiestas here and little thought is given to whether or not neighbors are disturbed by the late night festivities. In this case both tourists and locals alike who residenear the central park had their sleep disturbed the the Easter festivities.

Our staff apologized to the guest regarding the late night fiesta and our on site Manager offered a courtesy bottle of champagne, wine or round of beers to make up for the inconvenience - all if which were rejected by the guest as " insufficient compensation " . It bears noting that our other guests at Terramaya did not complain about the fiesta and only had positive comments regarding our staff & service.

Concering the last point, regarding an over charge for a private shuttle to and from San Pedro Sula, the guest is 100% correct. In a nutshell, the shuttle driver raised his rate from $140 to $150 a few weeks prior to the guests arrival and I neglected to advise the guest of this change in rate. Our on site Manager offered to split the difference and gave the guest $10 to cover the rate increase for a one way trip. Upon hearing about the problem via e mail, I immediately e mailed the guest, aplogized for my error in not notifying him of the $10 rate increase and I immediately offered to refund the additional $10 to him to make things right - which was refused by the guest. I feel that in this case, our staff and myself did everything possible to rectify our mistake and make things right for our guest.

During the past four years since we opened our doors, our staff at Terramaya has strived to provide our guests with excellent service - always. For us, our clients are not mere tourists to be tended to but are valued guests of whom many become personal, long time friends. We are confident that this guest was treated with the same high standards we always employ at Terramaya and we are truly sorry that his stay with us did not meet his high expectations.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

We've been in Central America for 5 months, and we can say that Terramaya was by far the place with the best workmanship we've seen. The Honduras mahogany that covers the ceiling, and trim is beautiful. The full breakfast was great. Fresh fruit, granola, scrambled eggs, bread with fresh jams, coffee, and juice. Plenty hearty to keep you going while you see the ruins. The facility is very secure and we felt totally safe leaving our things during the day while we were out. The staff was warm and friendly and we never hesitated to ask a question or request a restaurant recommendation. We would gladly stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms #5 and #6 are at the back of the hotel - further from the street so they are a bit quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Terramaya is a perfect definition of 'boutique hotel'. Only 7 or 8 rooms, very attractive, clean and spacious in a building designed to emphasize the interior--off the street, quiet, tastefully decorated with good art. Lovely terrace overlooking enclosed garden. But it's really the staff and personal attention that made our stay so great. Owners are knowledgeable and helpful, but the small staff brings you a sense of being pampered. By all means, try the "snack" menu, starting with homemade tamales (Owner Angela's sister makes them). Located sufficiently distant from the noise of the parque, Terramaya is an easy walk downhill, and a 20 lempira tuk tuk ride back up. Power went off throughout the town last a.m. we were there, but after a few minutes, the Terramaya generator brought back the juice (and hot water!)

Room Tip: As in all small places, a room in the back overlooking the garden is preferable.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We were very happy with our stay at Terramaya. The beds were comfortable, the showers spacious, and the service excellent. Even when the town lost electricity, the hotel ensured our comfort by starting up an on-site generator. Each time we had a little extra time, we relaxed on the outdoor patio, and Mariana, the receptionist, or one of the other help brought us coffee and iced tea.

Room Tip: Room 5 was awesome....big back balcony with a hammock.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 March 2014

The comfort and hospitality of Terramaya is beyond comparison in the Copan Ruinas region.
One word can fully describe this beautiful boutique hotel - ambiance! The breakfast is something to remember - fresh, hot and delicious. We met and talked to one of the owners - Angela - delightful and informative. Definitely the place when visiting Copan Ruinas. An outstanding value.
Ask to stay in room #6 - a few dollars more - worth every cent.

Room Tip: Room #6 views, ambiance, value.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in this lovely hotel. Making our reservation via email was simple and Howard replied immediately to all my queries and confirmed our reservation quickly and efficiently. On arrival, we were greeted by the receptionist, Mariana, who was just wonderful on every occasion we met here. Our room was spacious and comfortable and Angela, the charming owner, was waiting to chat with us each morning at breakfast on the terrace.
Many thanks to all the staff for making our brief visit to Honduras ( just two nights in Copan to visit the Maya site) so enjoyable. I highly recommend this hotel to everyone!
Just an aside, we visited Copan during a trip driving a rental car around Guatemala and had no problems whatsoever crossing the border or anytime during the trip.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple