“Absolutely lovely stay!”
Review of Terramaya

Terramaya
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Copan
Reviewed 26 June 2014

An absolutely charming hotel. Located 2.5 blocks up the hill from the central plaza. Exceedingly helpful staff - especially Mariana, who always greeted us with a smile and was very helpful in providing advice. The hotel does have an emergency generator, which is a plus! Good wifi signal. We arranged for massages at the hotel, which were conducted on a private outdoor patio on the property (that also had an outdoor shower for showering off afterwards). Excellent breakfast - it differed every day we were there, and when we had an early pickup to go to Ceiba, the staff packed up fruit and sandwiches to go. The hotel also helped us arrange for rides from San Pedro Sula and to Ceiba. Definitely worth the extra money to stay in one of the larger suites on the top floor with the garden view. Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kyrielle

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Not many 5.0s should be awarded, but this place is exceptional There are possibly only about 8 rooms, but each is special. Mine on the second floor looked out onto the gorgeous gardens below and was embellished by a 180 degree view of the quaint town and mountains beyond. From the moment you step inside and are greeted by the manager, you see wood work of remarkable quality; high ceilings; whitewashed walls; and excellent taste in furnishings and artwork. The French doors invite one to relax outside in the garden meticulously maintained. The drinks, hors d' oeuvres, and especially the breakfasts are hard to beat in Honduras. The lovely staff makes you wish you could take them home with you. Do not miss the opportunity to visit one of Honduras' finest small hotels.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed in Copan a few months ago at Terramaya and it was like being in paradise. I have
never seen a place kept so clean!!!!!!!!! I couldnt find not one cobweb or spot of anything on the floor. The breakfast was served on a heavenly patio overlooking a tropical garden and the food
was delicious. The hostess and the rest of the staff were on target and always where they were supposed to be and very very helpful. There was a doorman to greet you at the gate when arriving. Just a perfect place!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Spent two nights here this past week with a two-room booking. Our companions loved the room with a terrace which included a very classy Jacuzzi-tub as well as a large terrace with postcard-esque views.

This was my second stay at Terramaya and while I'd always been impressed with the location and service, this time the staff simply outdid themselves with multiple out-of-the-ordinary requests for help.

After driving on the road to Copan which I will only describe as "unique," with a few over-friendly kisses by speed bumps, we discovered that the brake light to our car would not turn off. At 7:30pm, in the rain, Fatima managed to find an electrical mechanic and had him fix the small problem for us for less than $10--all by herself while we were out eating. Incredible. Saved me the hassle of having to hunt around all over town and allowed me to truly enjoy my evening with my friends.

Secondly, I asked the girls at the front desk to help me arrange some flowers for a gift and really, the staff went above-and-beyond anything I could have expected.

All around, I am very happy to see such a wonderful business thriving in Copan and providing jobs to numerous locals who, as was obvious, love their work!

Thank you to everyone at Terramaya for the outstanding stay.

Room Tip: Treat yourself and ask for the Jacuzzi suite
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My wife and I were there for 3 days, it was amazing. The included breakfast was delicious each morning, the staff helpful and top notch service, close to the main park. Very quiet and safe. Breakfast first day scrambled eggs with veggies, second day pancakes, third day huevos rancheros. Always with a fruit plate and coffee.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ChrisZ-NYC
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This was our second time staying at Terramaya and it is just the loveliest gem of a hotel. We always head to Finca El Cisne outside of the city for a few days of country living, and it is a joy to head into town and check into Terramaya. We are always warmly greeted with the offer of a beverage - clean sheets and clean rooms, plus a lovely shower or bath - you feel like a new person! Breakfast is always fresh, delicious and fills you up for your day's adventures. I recommend Terramaya to anyone heading to Copan - either for a romantic weekend or with your children.

Room Tip: I love Room #5 - bathtub, balcony, day bed - HEAVEN!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Just back from a scheduled 2-day stay at Terramaya that we cut short to 1 miserable night. Our visit to this supposed oasis of peace and serenity started poorly: at checkin we were greeted by 3 couples and their 6 infants/toddlers running around the lobby, screaming and crying. After a full day of travel, we had hoped to relax in the garden or on our balcony, but the noise could be heard even inside our room, so we headed out immediately.

When we returned after dinner, ready to get to bed early, the other guests were thankfully absent. Unfortunately, loud music from the town square started shortly thereafter. When asked, Mariana, the receptionist, told us the music would stop by 9 or 10, which seemed unlikely, as it was already past 8. As it happens, we put up with 5 hours of pounding rock and heavy metal which finally ended at 1:45 am. When I complained to Mariana in the morning, she was apologetic, telling me that often the music in the square runs well past the scheduled stop time. I suggested that we should have been warned prior to arrival that there was a music festival scheduled that would be loudly audible from our room (earplugs and pillows over the head couldn't blot it out) and might continue late into the night. Eventually the manager called to apologize as well (neither the manager nor owners were on-site), but took no responsibility and offered no compensation. It was only after I suggested that the readers on Tripadvisor might be interested in my experience that I received an email from the owner (with a wholly insufficient offer of a bottle of wine) and a visit in person from the manager. By that time I had already made arrangements to skip a second night of "peace and serenity" at Terramaya and travel back to San Pedro Sula.

I thought this would be the end to our ordeal, but it was not to be. I asked the woman at the desk to order a taxi to take us to San Pedro Sula, but 10 minutes later, two Tuk-Tuks arrived (suitable for a 2 mile journey, not one of 100 miles). In their defense, the women working a the hotel were very sweet and attempted to help, but their English was often inadequate to the task. When a proper taxi was called, it turned out to be the same driver who brought us to the hotel from San Pedro Sula the previous day. Through the manager, Hamlet, who had by then arrived to speak with us, the driver asked for payment in advance, claiming that I owed him $10 from the last ride (I had paid $140, he wanted $150). I was quite sure the cost I had been quoted was $140, but did not have the email at hand to prove it. Hamlet said their email records were off-site and he had not recorded the taxi price with my reservation. I paid the taxi driver the extra, not having any option. Hamlet agreed to split the difference with me ($10). Though I was confident I was being overcharged, I was happy to pay the extra cash to escape this oasis of "peace and serenity". Later I found the email and discovered I had been quoted $140. It seems the taxi service had raised their prices and nobody had bothered to alert me.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank brooklyn3
copanhonduras, Owner at Terramaya, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for your comments & critiques of Terramaya. We value your opinions.

I would like to comment on your observations one by one:

First off, for those who are familiar with Easter Week in Latin America, the week long holiday is a combination of Summer Vacation, New Years & Christmas all wrapped up in one. Hundreds of thousands of Hondurans, expats & foreign tourists pack tourism destinations for the yearly holiday.

During Easter Week we were honored to have as our guests 3 families from the US Embassy in Tegucigalpa with their young children. Our policy at Terramaya is to make our hotel both family friendly and couples friendly - always striving to maintain an ambiance of tranquility and relaxation for all our guests. Unfortunately, in this case it was just not possible and we apologized to the guest.

Secondly, the guest noted that there was loud music at night from an event organized by the city government. I'd like to note a couple of points here. The cultural event which was
sponsored by the town govt took place in the central square, 3 blocks from Terramaya. We never received any notification from the organizers regarding starting time, ending time nor program to be followed. As those who have travelled in Latin America may know, loud music is an
inherent part of fiestas here and little thought is given to whether or not neighbors are disturbed by the late night festivities. In this case both tourists and locals alike who residenear the central park had their sleep disturbed the the Easter festivities.

Our staff apologized to the guest regarding the late night fiesta and our on site Manager offered a courtesy bottle of champagne, wine or round of beers to make up for the inconvenience - all if which were rejected by the guest as " insufficient compensation " . It bears noting that our other guests at Terramaya did not complain about the fiesta and only had positive comments regarding our staff & service.

Concering the last point, regarding an over charge for a private shuttle to and from San Pedro Sula, the guest is 100% correct. In a nutshell, the shuttle driver raised his rate from $140 to $150 a few weeks prior to the guests arrival and I neglected to advise the guest of this change in rate. Our on site Manager offered to split the difference and gave the guest $10 to cover the rate increase for a one way trip. Upon hearing about the problem via e mail, I immediately e mailed the guest, aplogized for my error in not notifying him of the $10 rate increase and I immediately offered to refund the additional $10 to him to make things right - which was refused by the guest. I feel that in this case, our staff and myself did everything possible to rectify our mistake and make things right for our guest.

During the past four years since we opened our doors, our staff at Terramaya has strived to provide our guests with excellent service - always. For us, our clients are not mere tourists to be tended to but are valued guests of whom many become personal, long time friends. We are confident that this guest was treated with the same high standards we always employ at Terramaya and we are truly sorry that his stay with us did not meet his high expectations.