“My favorite Mayan site”

Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My favorite Mayan site”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I live in Guatemala and I've seen my share of Mayan ruins but I always return to Copan. Is it the size or the site itself? I'm still not clear on which appeals to me the most, but the added pleasure of the on-site and superb museum, plus the very experienced guides available(i suggest a guide)always makes me walk away with a smile. Don't miss this pinnacle of art and sculpture.

Visited December 2013

14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“We went to both Ruins”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We had a great tour guide who spent over 3 hours explaining both Ruins in detail. It was hot when we went, so bring lots of bottled water. We took the underground tour as well.

Delft, The Netherlands
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Excellent site”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This is an excellent Maya site with the hieroglyphic stairs being the main attraction. Early morning you essentially have the place to yourself as well.

Bluff Dale, Texas
“Excellent hotel”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Right on the town square. Easy walking to everything in town including the ruins if you wanted. Hotel has nice rooms, hot water, great service.

Istanbul, Turkey
92 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Go check it even if you had seen Tikal or other major ruins”
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

I am happy that I did not miss Copan Ruins although I was in Tikal just a few days ago. If Tikal is to be amazed by the size (mostly that is it, although MUST SEE too!), Copan is to be charmed and astonished by sculpture. And even if you get a bit tired while walking and think that enough, still go and check behind the corner, behind the next tree. You will find something nice. In the ruins I spent around 2 1/2 hours, sometimes walking, sitting down to read the guide book, to take photos.

Make sure you have sunscreen and a cap! The sun is killing!

Also, before or after the main site, go to the natural trail, marked by a sign (quite low)! I would say the trail was even a bigger highlight than the ruins! I took the trail first, at around 9 am. As nobody was willing to do it (it is only 1 km), I was lucky to be completely by myself and!!!!! And, I loved the stops with signs describing the plants, the birds in the area and some of Mayan legends about the nature. Also! I had seen ALL the birds mentioned to be inhabiting the forest! I had to nearly crawl around, but still I managed to take pics only of 2 birds and 2 types of butterflies because as soon as I moved or zoomed or made any sound with, they all disappeared. They are REALLY wild there, unlike other places where you can feed them. Make sure you wear long pants and use repellent as my legs are now covered with mosquito bites (I wore shorts :-().

I think 15 $ entrance fee for foreigners is an alright price as recovering some of the sites took 10-12 years and the ruins are really taken good care of.
I did not pay for the guide as I wanted to take it at my own pace and am happy about it as when I overheard some groups' guides, they did not seem to tell anything new to what was mentioned in America on a Shoestring guidebook or on History channel. But still! Take a guide, they did sound very good.

Visited August 2014