“THE best stay in all of HONDURAS!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hacienda San Lucas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Copan
Hacienda San Lucas
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Copan
“THE best stay in all of HONDURAS!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

This place was amazing! Everything about the hacienda was top notch.
A little background. I was driving from Gracias, Honduras to Coapn. It was late in the day and the sun had already gone down. The party of four that I was part of was hungry, but decided to head to the hacidneda before getting some dinner. As soon as we pulled in there were several gentlemen ready and waiting for us to take our bags to the room. I told them we were hungry and we planned on just checking in and heading back into town for dinner. They told us, "not to worry, we have dinner waiting for you." This was just the first thing that really made me fell at home there. After a VERY delicious dinner of local cuisine we were ready to relax get to our rooms. It started to sprinkle a little rain on us, as soon as one of the staff noticed she ran to get us each some umbrellas.
The hospitality there was over the roof! The staff really made me and the members of my party really feel like it was home. I cant say enough about it.
The rooms were quaint and efficient. Everything on the property was low light and low key. I really enjoyed the ambiance they provided. There was hot water on demand it filtered water in the room. There is no A/C but not needed at all! I actually had to use my blanket.
The view was one of the best I have ever seen. You get a great view of the mountains, the town, and some of the Mayan Ruins!
Everything is relatively close, the towns cobble stone streets slow things down but nothing was far.
As for noise...there is non, other than the sounds of nature.
Our couple of days at the hacienda ended WAY TOO early. I would have loved to stay much longer. I did manage to meet the owner, some of the family, and even a previous staff member who happen to be on vacation. Everyone was very knowledgeable of the area and super friendly.
After this trip, the couple that I was with is now planning to have their future wedding at hacienda San Lucas.

Room Tip: The paths are mostly lit by candles, so if you have issues seeing in the dark bring a small torch, o...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Josh I

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

We cannot rave about this place enough. As a pretty well travelled couple, we chose to backpack through Central America on this trip to get a very raw taste of the local culture. After having decided that we just needed a few nights in nice luxurious place to regroup, we decided on La Hacienda San Lucas in Copan.... What a Gem. The owner, a Kentucky raised Honduran native has truly turned this place into her labor of love. She is very active with her guests, the rooms are beautiful, the resort looks over beautiful Copan and the excursions that can be organized are amazing. Just a short walk from some of the "forgotten" ruins, and an easy taxi ride to the major ruins in town, you'll have plenty to see. The rooms are beautiful, with freshly cut local flowers, comfy beds, hot water, amazing bathrooms, etc. While we were originally a bit concerned by the lack of air conditioned, opening the perfectly screened windows in this secluded resorts makes for an awesomely cool night as the breeze navigates through your room. The meals made right in their onsite kitchen are prepared by the locals in a traditional stone, wood burning oven, with fresh tortillas and some of the most amazing traditional Spanish breakfasts you'll have. The hotel's pet dog, Luna roams the place freely and it refreshingly polite and well kept. This place was such a memorable experience for us, that when returned home to D.C., we named out new pup after the Hacienda's very own Luna!
We may have already seen what Copan has to offer, but we can't wait to make it back to Hacienda San Lucas for another little getaway! Don't skip this place if you're in Copan!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Luke L
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed at the Hacienda San Lucas in January 2014 only for one night. We were sad our stay was so short and wished so much that we could have stayed longer. Overseen by the wonderful owner, Flavia, the accommodation at Hacienda San Lucas is located on a quiet hillside behind the bustling frontier town and ruins of Copan. If you want to escape the heat of the valley and the hum of trucks leaving Honduras for Guatemala, you couldn't find a more idyllic place. We drank the most superb cocktails on the front lawn watching the sun go down over the ruins of Copan in the Valley, then we dined in a beautiful cabana on food that was a fusion of traditional Mayan Indian and Honduran. All of the food is freshly prepared in a traditional kitchen on site. Flowering heliconias and birds are abundant in the grounds of the Hacienda and attention to detail is everywhere from the carefully placed vases of flowers, to hammocks that are slung in perfect places to capture the breeze on the balcony, to the hand woven Indian rugs adorning the beds, to the stone oven in the grounds and collection of leather saddles slung over the tethering rail outside the reception. At night you will be guided to your room by a series of lanterns lining hand made stone pathways. What more can I say? We would return to the Hacienda in a heartbeat. It represents true Honduran culture in a country where much of it has disappeared. We had a wonderful time.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pelagicprincess
Panama City Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

When we arrived in Copan, Flavia the owner was there to meet us and ( with her driver) take us up the mountain to The Hacienda San Lucas. On the way she told us all about her family history and how she inherited the hotel and how much work she put into the place. Once there, we loved the breathtaking views the hotel had to offer. The rooms were very simple,rustic and cave like. There is no air or heat in the rooms besides the ceiling fan. The hotel is very "green" with solar lighting and the food coming straight from the areas resources. The "kitchen" that you have breakfast and dinners at is very nice and tranquil. The staff does not speak any english but they did ok and smiled a lot. At night there was no other guest but me and my husband and the night watch man with 2 dogs. It was a little creepy for us. In the morning you will hear and see the most exotic birds! Pretty Much if you want to feel completely disconnected to every convenience your use to and Really Live and Experience Copan, Honduras this is the place to get lost to.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Chukerie
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

This was my second visit to Hacienda San Lucas. After the first visit I always said that I wanted to go back. The second time was even better. This beautiful hacienda is located on a hill top overlooking the town of Copan Ruinas and the ruins themselves. It's about a 10 minute ride out of town, up a winding dirt road, a little trip that makes your arrival that much more pleasurable! No matter what time of day or night a warm welcome awaits you. If you're lucky you will be greeted my Poli or Luna, two of the resident Labrador Retrievers who will come right up for a pet. (If you don't like dogs they seem to have a sixth sense about that and will not bother you.) We arrived a little after lunch time and had freshly made chicken and cheese tamales for lunch, accompanied by some Fresh maracuja (Passion fruit) juice. I still laugh when I think of the young ladies from the kitchen apologetically stating that all they had for lunch were tamales. They were the best tamales I've ever enjoyed! Rooms are large, simple and comfortable, with 2 big beds. Each room has a patio and there is always a hammock available. The entire hacienda becomes magical at night with candle light everywhere. The evening candle light is one of Flavia's signature motifs, and the soft glow of the lighting accompanies the wonderful Honduran/Mayan cuisine perfectly. Dinner is an experience not to be missed. You will think you are dining in a fine restaurant (which gastronomically you are) but you will be outside on the patio surrounded by the warm glow of the candles and the warm ambience provided by everyone working here. At some point during or after dinner, Dona Flavia herself will come by to say hello. I do not think there is a more gracious host anywhere on this planet. It amazed me that she actually remembered me when I was making our reservations, after my first visit 5 years ago. But remember me she did, and even remembered my favorite cocktail! Whatever your plans are, Flavia and her assistant Jennifer can make sure you have the opportunity to do whatever you like. Some must sees in the vicinity are the spectacular Mayan ruins themselves, Macaw Mountain, the hot springs, and the lovely little town itself. But you will also not waste any time at the Hacienda. There are even some ruins on the property, called Los Sapos. You can wander into the forest to find them. There is also 'Gaia' the yoga and meditation pavilion, to cleanse your spirit and relax your soul. Breakfast is included and you can have a choice of American or Honduran breakfasts. It was pretty much a no brainer for me, the freshly made tortillas and black beans with huevos adobos or rancheros beat out the French toast or pancakes every morning! A special thanks to Antonio, who is always available to help you with anything you may need. Another thanks to Pilo, their driver, who can pick you up in town and bring you back. And the biggest thanks to Flavia, who makes all of her guests feel special. Come here to relax, unwind, and enjoy some history, fine cuisine, and genuinely warm and friendly people. Even if you do not speak Spanish, the smiles and generosity of heart need no translation. 10 stars from me.

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank bklynbubba
Carbondale, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

We have stayed at the Hacienda San Lucas three times and are finally writing a long over due review. It is worth a long trek to Copan just to experience it. Upon arrival you may see the corn being ground for the fresh tortillas. Everyone is very gracious and sharing of their daily chores that are a trip back into time. Birds are everywhere! The yoga pavilion is an incredible experience. Try practicing yoga at sunset while the flocks of graceful white egrets fly by to their roosting sites, then walk to your room full of candles and shower by candle light, only to be topped by a candlelit dinner the quality of any ultra expensive restaurant anywhere in the world! Just can't say enough!! Shep and Mary

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Love this place I have been there a few times and always enjoy it, Is so simple and beautiful nature all around you so relaxing and purifying experience, you feel you rested for long just spending a day in there, simply beautiful.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends