“Just too loud.”

Ranked #20 of 21 Hotels in Copan
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
“Just too loud.”
Reviewed 4 January 2013

A last minute desire to spend NYE in Copan lead me to a hunt for two rooms with two double beds for three nights. All Copán hotels were sold out or priced sky high, I was left with only this hotel as an option. I knew it was budget, so was parepared, but this place is unacceptably loud, too loud that I could not sleep, even with earplugs.

I was pleased because it is two blocks away from main square and close to plenty of shops and the market, it has free parking and free internet/wifi, AC.

Good
 Plenty of hot water, beware of suicide shower
 Beds are ok, AC is quiet and Fan is ok, TV with cable is mounted ceiling high.
 Free Parking, cars left in courtyard, you do have to move it around when parking tandem.
 Microwave in hallway.
 Generator, it was turned on once when power went out
 Great 3rd floor terrace, hammocks, great views
 We booked a double and a family room with 4 double beds and two baths, great, fridge included.
 Free internet, desktop in lobby, wifi never worked for me,

Not so good
 Noise, Noise, Noise. It is by far a noisy hotel, on a very busy street where truck and motor taxis speed by at all times.
 The hotel is built Alcatraz jail style, all windows and door face toward inner hallways. You can hear people in hallways and in other rooms.
 Cement/tile build magnify the noise.
 Front desk staff is not very helpful. They are willing to help, friendly, but not very effective even for minor requests.
 The doors creek and make all sounds when you move them. Too noisy.
 Tiny bathroom.
 No shelves, closet, and small furniture to place items. No shelves in bathroom

The Ugly
 Two cantinas are located the hotel, loud music, yelling drunks.
 A store with loud music at all times is located adjacent hotel. Kids yell at all times
 Although this place is cleaned daily, walls are stained, water damage on ceilings, stained tiles and walls make this place seem dirty.

Tips
 Negotiate rate. I went during peak season and was overcharged. The front desk confessed that during slow season you can get a 50% discount for multiday stays.

Budget hotel, so expect budget accommodations. Housekeeping is good, but this place is basic.

Overall the biggest turnoff is the noise, never had any decent sleep. Good location, can be cheap if you negotiate rate, great if you want hot water, generator and AC/FAN. But unfortunately I will not return because I like my sleep.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs, try to get room as far away from street.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Hotel Graditas Mayas is really on the low end of budget hotels in Copan. There are cheaper places to stay, but you would be hard-pressed to find anyplace more shabby. The rooms at Graditas come complete with chipped paint, holes in the plaster, and windows that don't latch completely. And it is noisy to boot. There is a huge discrepancy between the photographs on the hotel's website and what the place actually looks like. We couldn't get out of there fast enough.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Copan hotels

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Copan is a wonderful and a relatively safe town in Honduras. The Ruins are great but get a guide. Night life is very laid back. Hotel is a good value and close.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Santa Monica, California, United States
Reviewed 28 November 2011

The main reason I love this hotel is because our flight got into San Pedro Sula at 3:45pm and there were no buses leaving that late to go to Copan. I did not want to stay in San Pedro Sula for a night, but Hotel Graditas Mayas came to get us for about $120, which was well worth the 3 hour ride. The ride back to San Pedro on the regular bus took about twice that amount of time. I was so grateful that they were available to pick us up.
I liked the hotel, too. The people were nice, and suggested good restaurants and attractions. I'd stay at this place again any time.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Suzanne I
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2010

We arrived at the Graditas Maya after a 6 hour drive. We had been warned by locals who were on our bus that the hotel was not good but as we had already booked online decided to have open minds and take it in our stride.
When we walked into the hotel we were greeted by 3 members of staff who knew no English and we stuggled in admittedly limited Spanish to advise them of our reservation. Eventually the manager called an English friend who translated for us...all the while his Wife was muttering '' no Espanol, ridiculous!'' We though this was rich seeing as this hotel was advertising on US websites and they hadn't bothered learning even basic English.
Anyway, the room wasn't as bad as we had expected. It was clean and although on the small side it was much better than some of the previous places we had stayed in.
However, we went out for drinks on the 2nd night and returned at 11pm to discover that the hotel doors were locked and there was no bell or side door in which to enter the building. After 15 minutes of knocking and shouting loudly we were eventually let in by a member of staff. For a hotel to bolt it's doors and give no warning in our opinion was completely out of order and this along with the lack of customer service has probably helped explain the reason why we saw no other guests staying at the hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Barnsleygal14
halifax
Reviewed 9 May 2010

I stayed here in April for 3 nights and was fully prepared for what $25 per night would get me. The young woman at the front desk was pleasant and even though she did not have change for a $100 bill at the time, I left the hundred and came back for my change later on in the day and it was readily presented to me. I had no issues with dishonesty or theft during my stay. If you cannot speak any Spanish you may have some difficulty but I was able to get by with my attempts. I had the room in the courtyard and I actually preferred it as the hotel keeps the front door of the main building locked at all times and with my comings and goings it was quite convenient. I felt no issues with security as during the night there is a guard that watches the property.
Now the room, it was VERY worn and dated but it was clean. Bring earplugs for the noisy A/C and ceiling fan. The young girl who cleaned my room did a great job with the tools that she had. Remember folks, this is a third world country so most times they do not have the equipment that a North American Hotel would have. No VIM or Magic Erasers here people.
I found both the young women who worked the front desk very amiable as well as the manager of the property whom I had seen on many occasions. The fridge in the lobby is stocked with water, pop and beer for about $1 a beer and .75 for a large bottle of water.
The roof top patio is excellent. You can see for miles and the hammocks made for a very relaxing afternoon.
I made some friends during my stay there. There is an old fellow in the building across the street who sits outside and says "Ola" to most everyone who walks by and I hosted an impromptu street party one night as I sat on the front steps of the hotel. Me and 5 other locals drank beer into the wee hours of the morning. I must have bought every beer in the lobby fridge during the course of the night. Remember folks, English is not readily spoken anywhere so try and learn some words and phrases before you go and your journey will be much more enjoyable.
The town is great! Many good restaurants and shops and I walked virtually every street during my stay in town and felt completely safe.
For the price, I got what I paid for.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Markb41
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Reviewed 2 May 2010

We stayed in Las Graditas Mayas in Wed April 21, paid 2 nights and we got the room outside, next to the parking lot, we were worried about the security and decided to leave, I asked to talk to the owner Sr. Daniel, but no where to find, I just want half of what a paid for the room, the girl in the desk lied many times about the owner being away, he was there but he did not want to talk to me, I "m really disappointed about loosing $40.23 . Later on I went to see and my room was already taken, this hotel is not clean, We will never go to a place like this again, we learned a lesson, not to pay in advance.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family