“travelling man”
Review of Hotel Camino Maya

Hotel Camino Maya
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Copan
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I must say fellow travelers I truly had a great time at this hotel. Arrived on a chicken bus from Guatemala City around 1:30 PM. Tuk- Tuk drivers were there to pick you up and taken you to Copan (less than a mile to town). I paid a dollar and was dropped off in front of the hotel.
Check in was a snap and I was led to my room (3rd floor suite).The room consisted of a flat panel TV, my own coffee maker (more on that later) and a hammock that I could enjoy the evening or early morning hours on.
After getting the Airco turned on and finding out how everything worked I was ready to venture. out.
The city is unique unto itself. Everything revolves around the square which is in the center of town (why I picked the hotel).
With the reservation of the suite I was entitled to the "typico breakfast". Great to say the least.
Now back to the coffee maker. his is the first time in a hotel where instead of those "Mr. Coffee" pads I got a sugar shaker that was filled with already ground coffee in a sugar shaker. I love my coffee extra strong so needless to say I was elated.
To the room. You have to be prepared to hear fireworks. The time I was there the "cracks" were going off into the wee hours of the morning. But, being in the suite the noise is reduced to a minimal distraction.
I have to say that the hotel met all my criteria for a "unique experience".
I would recommend using this hotel as home base for exploring the area.
The staff, the breakfast, and my total experience was great and I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to my fellow travellers

Room Tip: Take a room on the 2nd floor overlooking the town square. I spent hours on the balcony watching ever...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank FortWorthJeffie

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Location: fantastic – very central! Level of comfort: exactly what I want from a hotel of this price range. Service: excellent!

If you are visiting Copán Ruinas for the first time, you will no doubt look at a map and see that this small town has many options (ranging from budget to more luxurious) in a relatively central radius. What no map will tell you is that there are basically two streets that can offer reliable services such as constant hot water and electricity, even during a power outage. Hotel Camino Maya is located on the corner of these two streets.

Working in tourism, I may assess a hotel more critically than a recreational traveller, but my needs are the same: I expect quality service, professionalism from the staff, a clean and secure room where I feel comfortable, and pleasing hotel features. Camino Maya has met all of my expectations every time I stay there. Moreover, professionalism is complemented with a genuine friendliness, making me feel at home.

Tip: are you looking for a hotel in the period of Semana Santa? This is where you want to be! The second-level balcony facing the square offers a perfect view of the colourful carpets (an excellent angle for photography).

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Heather C
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Stayed for two nights, didnt want to leave. Nice rooms, friendly staff, excellent location and the best frozen mojitos. Had a nice breakfast every morning at the hotel restaurant. The staff was very helpful in providing all the required and accurate information. Will definitely go back.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Flean
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This hotel is perfectly located in the middle of Copan and within walking distance of the ruins. The bar and restaurant staff were great and the food was good. The hotel staff helped us set up excursions every day and their help was appreciated. The rooms were clean and nice. I will be back!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jason S
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Facilities where very nice!!! Excellent service and great price!!! definitely will go back for another holiday. Had an excellent location to enjoy all of the activities around town. Lot's of nightlife sorounding the central plaza, still the hotel has great social areas to take nap on a hammock!!!

Room Tip: If you stay here, don't miss on the swimming pool and disco bar!!!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank rolandolean
Reviewed 31 October 2013

This hotel is a very nice place ro stay in Copan. They serve a good breakfast and the rooms are clean and the beds are ok. When you consider the problems that Copan has with water and electricity, this hotel is luxury! Yoe have warm showers, good ac and fan. Big flatscreen and good wifi everywhere. It is located at the corner of the centrak square, where life is starting at 7 in the morning. You can get a nice coffee at the Americano, at the other side of the square...dont forget! Its the best coffee you can get on Honduras. Its a clean place, a super patio where you can enjoy a drink with your friends or partner. And the ruins of the maya city copan are within walking distance.

Room Tip: No tip needed...when you want sone space, ask for it. They have big ones, nr 201 to 206 are excellen...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank JohanSlaghuis
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We went to Copan with my photography club "Kaleidoscopio" and stayed at this very nice hotel. The staff was great, the rooms were clean with nice linen, it even had a safe! Located in the middle of town, good price which included breakfast. And I would definitely recommend to friends and family!

Room Tip: From one of my friends I heard that it is a bit noisy on the street....ask for a room facing the bac...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends