“Awesome place!”

Casa Dona Elena B & B
Ranked #3 of 21 Copan B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 February 2013

I love Casa Dona Elena! I have been here for three weeks and everything has been great here. Rooms are nice with hot showers! Food is excellent. But above all, this is a wonderful family. Always super nice and helpful. I have greatly enjoyed my time here and would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Rachel566

Reviewed 12 January 2013

We stayed at Casa Dona Elena for seven weeks while on a family visit. Our clean, bright, airy room overlooking the Copán Valley suited us perfectly as headquarters for forays into the countryside, visits to the archaeological sites, shopping and entertainment in the town. We met fine, hospitable people. It suited our need for a home away from home, and will return one day.

Room Tip: Ask for "La Tierra", it is spacious, private, the view fantastic and the bird sightings th...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pamela V
Reviewed 12 December 2012

I'm nineteen and came to copan ruinas by myself to live for two months. The guacamaya Spanish school placed me in casa Dona Elena and I couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. Elena cooks amazing food and always places high value on her customers, and her helpers are so sweet and so willing to help you with whatever you need. Nery made me feel so comfortable in copan and helped me find my way around here, they helped me practice Spanish but also understand English so when need be I could communicate. They not only met my physical needs but literally everything: being nineteen year old girl alone here is scary but they treated me like part of the family. It was am amazing bed and breakfast, but more so they were my family and truly cared about me, not my business.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Though I've been traveling to many places, I've never taken time to write a review before. However, a good impression that I had from Casa Dona Elena B&B and the hospitality of everyone there makes me want to write this review. The location of the hotel is great. Though it's not in the heart of the town, it's still in a walking distance. And since it's up on the hill, you have a great overlook view of the valley and mountains. The room was very clean, spacious and comfortable. The food that Elena prepared was amazing. Her fried fish with salsa and veggie sounded so simple, but it was incredibly flavorful. Even a comfort food like french toast with homemade cream was so delicious. We also took a Copan Ruins tour with Nery. He was very knowledgable. He took time to show and answer our questions thoroughly. His English was perfect so we didn't have problem understand him at all though English is not our native language.
All that I've described wasn't the best part of this place. The best part was the warm welcome and hospitality from Elena, Nery, his wife and his lovely daughter. Stay here, you will feel like home.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank bkk_gadabout
Reviewed 1 December 2012

I wish we could have spent longer here. We were only her for 2 nights but it was the best stay on our whole vacation. The location was great. It was a walk into town but what a great walk! The street of Copan are wonderful and very safe. The hosts here were extremely accommodating. Nery, the owners son, gave us lots of tips and recommendations that we found very useful. He also served as our tour guide at the ruins and did a great job! Also, the breakfast here was wonderful. Way to much food but that's what vacation is all about. The only negative was the power went out a few times a day. But that happens everywhere in Copan. Stay here, you wont regret it!

Room Tip: The rooms in the back of the house have a great view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 November 2012

We spent 5 nights staying at Casa Dona Elena and it was a wonderful experience. It was really special because we felt like we were part of Dona Elena's family and it really enhanced our whole trip. The house and garden were beautiful, with amazing views of the Copan Valley. The rooms were comfortable with plenty of hot water in the showers. Every morning Dona Elena cooked something different (and delicious) for breakfast; we opted to eat dinner there every night (at an additional charge, but very reasonable price) and always had wonderful home-cooked comida tipica.

The best part, however, was getting to know Dona Elena and Nery and the family. They were so kind and thoughtful and made us feel so welcome. My 12 year old son became buddies with Dona Elena's grandson and the two of them hung out every day. Nery was so helpful and informative with information about Copan and suggestions for things to do in the area. Dona Elena was incredibly attentive and considerate. The vibe of the household was really great, and there was always company and conversation (and a wonderful cup of coffee) to be had in the communal eating area near the kitchen. After staying in Copan we moved on to a different part of Honduras and stayed in a regular hotel, which was nice but felt somewhat sterile and lonely after 5 days in Dona Elena's warm, friendly household. We definitely missed Casa Dona Elena after we left!

It was the rainy season when we were there, so it rained every night and we did experience short power outages (just an hour or two) on some evenings. Casa Dona Elena has every room prepared for this with candles, which was actually kind of cozy and fun, in a way. During power outages people would gather in the communal eating area and hang out by candlelight. I think it is important to emphasize that if you stay at Casa Dona Elena, you are staying with a normal Honduran family; they don't have backup generators like the expensive hotels. So it is important to have the right attitude about things like power outages and take things like that in stride. For me personally, I found the whole experience to be wonderful, power outages and all. It was our first time in Honduras and such a memorable trip, and I know that staying at Casa Dona Elena had a lot to do with it. I would not hesitate to go back there or recommend it to other travelers.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 November 2012

For the price you will not find a more beautiful, calm, and comfortable place to stay. The rooms are huge, beds are all full size and pleasantly comfortable, beautifully tiled bathrooms with hot water 24/7- unlike many showers Central America. A full jug of purified water was placed daily in our room. Fresh hot coffee and warmed milk was offered to us from early morning until evening each day. The dawn was truly something to look forward to, waking up to a stunning view right from my bed, or from our balcony just outside of our room door, was honestly the delight of this stay.
Breakfasts was served on arty mahogany wood tables in a tropical garden surrounded strip - starting with seasonal fruit each morning, to fresh scrambled eggs, French toast, pancakes or the typical Hondubreakfast. This serving can easily sustain you until an early evening dinner.
Doña Elena, Nery, and Lupita are an awesome family team, all wonderful hostesses and tremendously helpful with our many questions. We are all awfully thankful for their hospitality to our family. In comparison to our last stay in one of the downtown Hotels, Casa Doña Elena B&B is by far a better choice. For lesser money we had incomparable service, felt right at home, had a bigger and nicer room, and most definitely a BONUS view to the mountains that I will never forget. I would give them ten stars if I could!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family