“As if I was visiting my grandma..”

and 1 more site!
Casa Dona Elena B & B
Ranked #3 of 21 Copan B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I think I made the best choice by staying in Casa Dona Elena. As soon as I arrived, I felt at home and asked them if my room is available one more night. Luckily, they had empty room when I was there. Their hospitality is really amazing that I was touched. My room was very clean, ample and comfortable. Also I had the chance to eat Elena's baleadas, oh, they were so delicious.
Elena, Nery, Lupita and their lovely daughter made me feel like I was visiting my relatives, reminded me the visits during my school holiday. They are happy to help you for every question you may have. Highly recommended place.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Okan_the_Jarmusch

Reviewed 9 April 2013

I've often used Trip Advisor to make hotel selections, but this is the first hotel that made me want to write a review as I saw this local humbled family working so hard to provide the best possible hospitality at an unbeatable price.

We were three friends staying so we took one of the large Triple-rooms in the back which had an amazing view of the mountains and balconies with chairs to relax while enjoying the scenery. This very same room also had a wide window viewing the garden and just has a sense of privacy that I much appreciated. The B&B is like a house and garden and all the people including the owners treat it as a home and their guests as family. The entire pace is impeccable, even the outdoor pathways through the gardens are constantly being swept by the girls; the windows have screens to keep dust or bugs out. There was plenty hot water which wasn’t much needed due to the high Honduran-summer temperatures but there was also air conditioning which was certainly needed and made the sleeping comfortable. The beds not only felt new but I even inspected them thoroughly (is just something I like doing at hotels) and they were all brand new, top quality soft-pillow-top mattresses. We enjoy watching sports and having a 32 inch flat screen tv mounted on the wall was definitely an unexpected plus for us.
The price was truly inexpensive, for all three of us we only paid a nightly rate of US$50.00 with A/C included, plus a delicious homemade breakfast served to us by the garden every morning and prepared by Doña Elena herself. We loved it so much we decided to stay a third night!
It is a bit distant from town, but we are young and didn’t mind the 7 minute walk downhill to downtown as it was easy and pleasant to see all the local architecture; on the way back uphill we’d take a tuc tuc taxi for just one U.S Dollar for two people.

The B&B, the hospitable family that runs it, and the entire area made us feel safe, at home, secure and so well taken care of. I strongly recommend CASA DOÑA ELENA B&B to anyone traveling through Copan, Honduras!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank JennyP118
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I have been to Copan on different occasions and stayed at different hotels around town. I usually like little boutique or home-y style hotels. So, why not start with the good things?
The food that Dona Elena makes, is amazing, the breakfast is very vast, typical of village people, she makes amazing breakfast, from pancakes, to "tipicos", to hot tamales and the baleadas are to die for. She will give you a huge cup of coffee with pure warm milk (if you want some) to start you off on your day. I (we) couldn't have asked for a better breakfast on our stay. This lady, is the grandma that every kid wants. Trust me, she's a lovely lady.
The view to one side of the town, is really amazing! That's a plus.

The off side. On our arrival, we were to be picked up by a taxi that was provided by the B&B, we had to take one, 'cause there was no one to be found waiting for us. The place is really really REALLY far away from the central park. So, in case you have forgot something...better check twice next time you head out. The other thing, Copan is usually warm some months of the year, so if you happen to be around those months, be sure that you ask for a working air conditioning. We stayed at one of the rooms, and it was HOT, really hot. Some nights we just left the door open. The problem with leaving the door open, is that you wont be able to sleep in late or take a nap during the day. There are kids all around the rooms and you will hear them cry all day long. And I understand that is hard to keep children calm, but if you are traveling, to get away from everything, kids crying is the last thing you want to hear. Or in our case, see. There was a point in which one of the kids just went up to the room. Not the nicest kid around, since we tried to take him back his parents and he snapped at us and kept on crying louder.
No, they are not other guest's kids, I'm talking about kids that live there or family with kids visiting.
By the way, usually when staying at hotels, by the time you get back to your room, you find it spotless clean and what not. Not this time sir! Good thing I know my way around a broomstick and a mop, cause we had to clean our rooms for most of our stay. I cannot stand insect, not to mention roaches and we found 3 roaches on different days which I had to sweep. That is just disgusting. And that water that they give you? Right, only happened twice. Same with the room cleaning. And the shower? Hope you like playing twister, 'cause the shower will go out in a weird pattern that is complicated to shower with, unless you're good a playing twister.
So, for that price, you will find hotels which will be closer to the park, will clean up everyday your room, better showers, and will give you water. But if you don't mind that, so don't forget to pack your broom stick!

Room Tip: Take any upper rooms, they usually have better views.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 February 2013

I love Casa Dona Elena! I have been here for three weeks and everything has been great here. Rooms are nice with hot showers! Food is excellent. But above all, this is a wonderful family. Always super nice and helpful. I have greatly enjoyed my time here and would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Rachel566
Reviewed 12 January 2013

We stayed at Casa Dona Elena for seven weeks while on a family visit. Our clean, bright, airy room overlooking the Copán Valley suited us perfectly as headquarters for forays into the countryside, visits to the archaeological sites, shopping and entertainment in the town. We met fine, hospitable people. It suited our need for a home away from home, and will return one day.

Room Tip: Ask for "La Tierra", it is spacious, private, the view fantastic and the bird sightings th...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pamela V
Reviewed 12 December 2012

I'm nineteen and came to copan ruinas by myself to live for two months. The guacamaya Spanish school placed me in casa Dona Elena and I couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. Elena cooks amazing food and always places high value on her customers, and her helpers are so sweet and so willing to help you with whatever you need. Nery made me feel so comfortable in copan and helped me find my way around here, they helped me practice Spanish but also understand English so when need be I could communicate. They not only met my physical needs but literally everything: being nineteen year old girl alone here is scary but they treated me like part of the family. It was am amazing bed and breakfast, but more so they were my family and truly cared about me, not my business.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Though I've been traveling to many places, I've never taken time to write a review before. However, a good impression that I had from Casa Dona Elena B&B and the hospitality of everyone there makes me want to write this review. The location of the hotel is great. Though it's not in the heart of the town, it's still in a walking distance. And since it's up on the hill, you have a great overlook view of the valley and mountains. The room was very clean, spacious and comfortable. The food that Elena prepared was amazing. Her fried fish with salsa and veggie sounded so simple, but it was incredibly flavorful. Even a comfort food like french toast with homemade cream was so delicious. We also took a Copan Ruins tour with Nery. He was very knowledgable. He took time to show and answer our questions thoroughly. His English was perfect so we didn't have problem understand him at all though English is not our native language.
All that I've described wasn't the best part of this place. The best part was the warm welcome and hospitality from Elena, Nery, his wife and his lovely daughter. Stay here, you will feel like home.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends