“A true home away from home!”

and 1 more site!
Casa Dona Elena B & B
Ranked #3 of 21 Copan B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Wakefield, Canada
“A true home away from home!”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Where to begin! Our party of 4 arrived late at night and a full day early and were welcomed with open arms. we stayed 3 nights and wish we were able to stay longer. I really don't understand any bad reviews here, this is a very clean and well run B&B, believe me, we have traveled through central America and this place is truly a gem. The view is great ,the beds are clean and comfortable , the hot water actually works(many in central america don't)along with AC. It's about a 10 minute walk downhill to central park, and about 20 minute walk to the ruins.It is a work out to walk back up to the casa, so take a tuk-tuk(costs about a buck). The breakfast is wonderful! Nery and his family work very hard to earn their Trip advisor rating. When I see some of the complaints posted here , all I can do is laugh.....These people should travel more, or in the very least, stick to the all inclusive super hotels that they're used to! We often talk about how nice our stay in Copan was. We will definitely return! Thanks Nery we wish you happiness and success !!!

Room Tip: all the rooms are well kept and clean. a couple of them have a fine view looking out over the town...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank barry b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 May 2013

I had a great two week stay at Casa Dona Elena's. It was my second year staying there. Last year I stayed for five weeks while studying Spanish. If you are looking for a home away from home, this is the place. The B&B also has an informal restaurant where locals come daily to eat and this gave me more opportunity to practice my Spanish. As a home stay offered with the Spanish school Dona Elena and Lupita provided me with three meals a day. They were hearty and delicious. I was always asked if I had had sufficient and was always given more than I could eat. As a Spanish student they were very patient with me, always speaking to me in Spanish and correcting me, which is part of the home stay experience. I had a lovely, bright, very large room with a view of the Copan Valley below, complete with fan, air conditioning, private bath, WiFi and TV. I also had a hammock chair on the balcony if I wanted to make the most of the warm, sunny weather. If I needed anything I just had to ask and it would be brought quickly. Dona Elena, Lupita and their staff are very warm and welcoming. As an older woman travelling alone it has become my home away from home in Copan. The prices are great too. I highly recommend Casa Dona Elena's for a short or long stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the valley
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank southbound82
victoria, BC, Canada
Reviewed 10 April 2013

We arrived at Copan on the shuttle from Antigua about 1 p.m. or thereabouts. We had read about Dona Elena on tripadvisor and decided that would be our place to stay for our sojourn in Copan.

It is up hill, very uphill from the parque central. There is a steep 40 degree stretch for a block, and then it is a fairly continuous uphill from there only flattening out for the last block or two before Casa Dona Elena. Definitely take a tuk tuk (about 20 lempiras from parque central).

With no reservations, we hoped they had room. Their more pricey rooms (fan with private bathroom) had a magnificent vista and were available. My companion was non-plussed at first because this was clearly a family home, with adult children and their children and babies. She was concerned that with no air conditioning and babies crying, she would have a rotten time. I assured her that if she wanted to move, we would, but to give it a chance.

The shower has flagstone as its flooring, which caught some hair. She was very non-plussed. Again, I advocated patience. We then had dinner elsewhere and met Dona Elena's son, Nerry. After a long and interesting chat, we decided to hire Nerry for his guiding at Copan. He urged us to check out not only the museum, but the city hall display of the history of excavations of Copan. Nerry was very concerned about the hair on the shower floor and immediately arranged for it to be cleaned, and he apologized. He was aware that the flagstone sometimes made it hard to clean between the grouting between the stones and they usually take steps to deal with it.

Sleep was good, and of course air conditioning was not needed.

Breakfast was baleadas (Honduras' signature breakfast) and was wonderful and endless (as was the coffee). Baleadas are essentially flat crisp tortillas with beans, egg, cheese, avocado etc. Think of it as a sort of open faced taco.

Nerry conducted a good tour of Copan. the night before, he had persuaded us to pay extra for going to the excavations into the pyramids (they cost as much as admission to the park), which were interesting but for budget travellers I would suggest is not good value for money. However, why not go for the whole experience if one is going to Copan only once?

Nerry conducted a very good tour, and pointed out the various birds, such as muk-muks and macaws, as well as the significance of the various plazas and houses, including what had been raised under the rule Rabbit 18 (? as to number) whose grandiose projects led to a revolt amongst his subjects and his allies, putting an end to both his life and reign. The building of Copan was much more modest after his overthrow.

Many of the sculptures, because they are made from toofah which wears readily, are now sheltered in the museum which is another must see. Some of the carvings are truly stunning.

By this time, Janie came to the conclusion that Dona Elena was a good place to stay. It helped that the children were really well behaved and while the baby was loud during the day, he (or she) slept soundly through the night.

The dinner we had, which was your basic fresh roast chicken pieces with a criollo sauce was excellent, with lots of squash and other veggies, along iwth the ubiquitous rice.

After another wonderful night of sleep, and a desayuno tipico for the morning made us conclude that if we come back to Copan we would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I think I made the best choice by staying in Casa Dona Elena. As soon as I arrived, I felt at home and asked them if my room is available one more night. Luckily, they had empty room when I was there. Their hospitality is really amazing that I was touched. My room was very clean, ample and comfortable. Also I had the chance to eat Elena's baleadas, oh, they were so delicious.
Elena, Nery, Lupita and their lovely daughter made me feel like I was visiting my relatives, reminded me the visits during my school holiday. They are happy to help you for every question you may have. Highly recommended place.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Okan_the_Jarmusch
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I've often used Trip Advisor to make hotel selections, but this is the first hotel that made me want to write a review as I saw this local humbled family working so hard to provide the best possible hospitality at an unbeatable price.

We were three friends staying so we took one of the large Triple-rooms in the back which had an amazing view of the mountains and balconies with chairs to relax while enjoying the scenery. This very same room also had a wide window viewing the garden and just has a sense of privacy that I much appreciated. The B&B is like a house and garden and all the people including the owners treat it as a home and their guests as family. The entire pace is impeccable, even the outdoor pathways through the gardens are constantly being swept by the girls; the windows have screens to keep dust or bugs out. There was plenty hot water which wasn’t much needed due to the high Honduran-summer temperatures but there was also air conditioning which was certainly needed and made the sleeping comfortable. The beds not only felt new but I even inspected them thoroughly (is just something I like doing at hotels) and they were all brand new, top quality soft-pillow-top mattresses. We enjoy watching sports and having a 32 inch flat screen tv mounted on the wall was definitely an unexpected plus for us.
The price was truly inexpensive, for all three of us we only paid a nightly rate of US$50.00 with A/C included, plus a delicious homemade breakfast served to us by the garden every morning and prepared by Doña Elena herself. We loved it so much we decided to stay a third night!
It is a bit distant from town, but we are young and didn’t mind the 7 minute walk downhill to downtown as it was easy and pleasant to see all the local architecture; on the way back uphill we’d take a tuc tuc taxi for just one U.S Dollar for two people.

The B&B, the hospitable family that runs it, and the entire area made us feel safe, at home, secure and so well taken care of. I strongly recommend CASA DOÑA ELENA B&B to anyone traveling through Copan, Honduras!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank JennyP118
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I have been to Copan on different occasions and stayed at different hotels around town. I usually like little boutique or home-y style hotels. So, why not start with the good things?
The food that Dona Elena makes, is amazing, the breakfast is very vast, typical of village people, she makes amazing breakfast, from pancakes, to "tipicos", to hot tamales and the baleadas are to die for. She will give you a huge cup of coffee with pure warm milk (if you want some) to start you off on your day. I (we) couldn't have asked for a better breakfast on our stay. This lady, is the grandma that every kid wants. Trust me, she's a lovely lady.
The view to one side of the town, is really amazing! That's a plus.

The off side. On our arrival, we were to be picked up by a taxi that was provided by the B&B, we had to take one, 'cause there was no one to be found waiting for us. The place is really really REALLY far away from the central park. So, in case you have forgot something...better check twice next time you head out. The other thing, Copan is usually warm some months of the year, so if you happen to be around those months, be sure that you ask for a working air conditioning. We stayed at one of the rooms, and it was HOT, really hot. Some nights we just left the door open. The problem with leaving the door open, is that you wont be able to sleep in late or take a nap during the day. There are kids all around the rooms and you will hear them cry all day long. And I understand that is hard to keep children calm, but if you are traveling, to get away from everything, kids crying is the last thing you want to hear. Or in our case, see. There was a point in which one of the kids just went up to the room. Not the nicest kid around, since we tried to take him back his parents and he snapped at us and kept on crying louder.
No, they are not other guest's kids, I'm talking about kids that live there or family with kids visiting.
By the way, usually when staying at hotels, by the time you get back to your room, you find it spotless clean and what not. Not this time sir! Good thing I know my way around a broomstick and a mop, cause we had to clean our rooms for most of our stay. I cannot stand insect, not to mention roaches and we found 3 roaches on different days which I had to sweep. That is just disgusting. And that water that they give you? Right, only happened twice. Same with the room cleaning. And the shower? Hope you like playing twister, 'cause the shower will go out in a weird pattern that is complicated to shower with, unless you're good a playing twister.
So, for that price, you will find hotels which will be closer to the park, will clean up everyday your room, better showers, and will give you water. But if you don't mind that, so don't forget to pack your broom stick!

Room Tip: Take any upper rooms, they usually have better views.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Copan, Honduras
Reviewed 8 February 2013

I love Casa Dona Elena! I have been here for three weeks and everything has been great here. Rooms are nice with hot showers! Food is excellent. But above all, this is a wonderful family. Always super nice and helpful. I have greatly enjoyed my time here and would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo