“No Response, No Signage”

Hotel Rainbow Village
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in La Ceiba
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I sent an email requesting a reservation a week before traveling to La Ceiba; I got no reply. I tried to find the place at night, with no luck-- there is no signage visible from the main highway, the road approaching the hotel is pitted and wrecked, and the turn itself (I came back in daylight to see if I could find it) is likewise not marked.

I rang the bell to the gate, and was greeted through a security panel in the door. Two conversations through the panel; never even got invited inside. Very rude. When I mentioned the email, I was told there was no such email-- as if accusing me of lying.

I went back to my (good) hotel, checked my Sent folder, found the email, and re-sent it. Still no response, to this day.

Very rude. Very difficult. Won't try again.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Ben_Malisow

Reviewed 5 December 2013

I was expecting more of a hotel room so when my friends and I (5 of us) entered the Hotel Rainbow Village B&B we were incredibly surprised to find out we were in a small "casita" complete with 2 bedrooms with A/C, a full bathroom with HOT water, a shared living room/eating space and a small kitchen. It was more than what we had expected and it fit more than we were even wanting.

Barbara is a wonderful ex-pat lady who is relaxed and on top of the game. We had tour plans but due to the bad weather, we had to replan. She was more than helpful in recommending us new places to visit and tour. She was full of information - directions, contacts, tour ideas, hospitality - so our stay wasn't short of awesome. The food was great, drinks (mixed and German/Honduran beer!) were tasty and the rooms were so comfortable. We definitely enjoyed our little porch area with a sitting hammock while we woke up with our coffee.

There are so many things to do in La Ceiba or Sambo Creek so we definitely recommend staying at Hotel Rainbow Village even if it is a little distance from both. It's worth the drive plus you get to see the gorgeous views of Honduras!

Tour recommendations: Cayos Cochinos Islands, Canopy (Ziplining) Tour in Sambo Creek, and paintball right around the corner from the hotel in a field with abandonded airplanes. So cool!

Room Tip: Pick a color of a house, they're all great rooms! We stayed in Casa Azul :)
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Maria P
Reviewed 16 October 2013

When traveling to the Bay Islands, I always stay at Rainbow Village Hotel. I stayed there again last week and it did not disappoint. The rooms are clean and AC works great. Barbara cooks incredible German food and is always available around your schedule. The neighborhood looks a little rough but I have walked there from the airport numerous times with no issues. The Hotel, bar area/restaurant and pool are inside a high wall and you feel completely secure and can get a great night sleep. The stay includes a ride back to the airport so you dont have to deal with taxi cabs or worrying about catching your flight. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank SteveS1232013
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I live in the Bay Islands and have to travel to La Ceiba for merchandise I can't find on the island & also for medical. I always stay at Rainbow Village, if they have room. I have stayed at many hotels in La Ceiba, but I prefer staying at Rainbow Village. I hate feeling claustrophobic in a hotel room. Here you have your own little apartment and just as important, you have your own private porch. I love sitting outside and not being confined to a room. The apartments are comfortable, clean and cute. They have everything you need. I also like the that there is a nice restaurant right at the hotel. The food is good & they give you nice portions. When I had dental work done, the cook prepared a special meal for me. The owners are very nice and anxious to see that you have everything you need. I have always felt very safe at Rainbow Village. I like the atmosphere and colorful rooms. The prices are very fair. I highly recommend this hotel.
- Kay Bonds

Room Tip: All rooms are private and exactly alike. Any room is a good choice.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank florida29
Reviewed 13 August 2013

La ceiba as a whole seemed like a bit of a rough area, but this hostel was very nice. The lady who runs it is very friendly, the rooms are clean and have air conditioning, as well as kitchens and bathrooms. We only stayed for one night on our way to Roatan, but was a good place to stop. There was also a friendly German shepherd there!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Cdndoh
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

The hotel is adorable! We stayed in the green room. Barbara, who is the manager & cook, is incredibly helpful & sweet. She called all our cabs for us and made our reservation for the canopy tours. She's also a great cook. The hotel is about a $5 cab ride from downtown.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 24 July 2013

La Ceiba is a rough area, but Rainbow Village is a little paradise in the middle of it. The rooms are clean, cute and spacious. Barbara is super sweet and extremely helpful. There is a bar and food available, as well as a small pool. We hung out here for a day on our way to Utila; it was a way cool place to just chill out for a bit. Also Rex, Barbara's dog, is really cute and really well behaved.

Room Tip: Pick your favorite color :)
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple