“KAYAKING IN THE CONGREJAL”

Omega Tours Eco Jungle Lodge
Ranked #1 of 35 La Ceiba B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I LOVED pico bonito national park, the congrejal river and my short stay at Omega. My boyfriend stayed only one night in the Beauty View and I felt as though I never wanted to leave!

The food and menu were excellent.
As were the guides.

I went kayaking in a inflatable kayak for the first time and had such great instruction by my guide, Daniel. He taught us so much about the flow and power of this gorgeous river.

The owners, an adorable German couple were earnest and kind people that made us feel at home.

Can't recommend enough.

2  Thank abster116
There are newer reviews for Omega Tours Eco Jungle Lodge

Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed at Omega last weekend. We were in one of the lodge rooms, I loved the look of the buildings and the care that was put into the making of the place. The bed was pretty comfy too!
We went on the rafting tour which was decent. The river was low but the tour guides made up for it by adding in some rock jumping and floating down the river. Plus they were a great group of people.
I had the best Pina Colda ever made by Helen. :)
The main meals were very good. However, my boyfriend got the chicken cordon bleu for lunch after having it for dinner the day before and the chicken was raw when cut into. The waitress took it back to the kitchen to cook more but it was a turn off for sure.
The breakfast portions were minimal for the cost. For example I ordered bacon and toast. The bacon was served as crumbs which I found odd.
They had a nice looking pool but no one went swimming in it. There was a sign stating that it was 50 L to go swimming. The sign didn't say if the cost was for people who were just dropping by or for also those staying at the lodge. There was a group of high school kids staying there and we didn't see them in the pool either which to me indicates that you would have to pay and also seemed like a waste of a pool (why have it if no one goes in it? I have also never seen a place charge it's guests to swim).
Siliva, one of the oweners was incredibly kind and made sure we had what we needed as well as helped arrange our travel plans on Easter Sunday. Which made us feel like we were cared about and also reduced a lot of stress!
There is no hot water in the bathrooms but there is a hot outdoor shower.
Overall I can say that we enjoyed our stay.
Happy and safe travels! :)

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I believe I have stayed at Omega 8 or 10 times over the years and sent many others up to the lodge or to do a river trip with Udo and Silvia's well-trained crew. Every year, the lodge and trips are even better. Instead of relaxing and resting on their success, Udo and Silvia continue to work to improve the experience of their visitors. Maintenance is always a difficult issue in a tropical environment and Omega always seems to pay close attention to every detail to keep things working and working well. If something isn't right, Udo will invent something that is better. You can't go wrong with a visit to this very special place.

Room Tip: Try Beautyview or Bamboo for a really top shelf experience at a good value!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Yakman60
Reviewed 21 April 2014

While not directly on the Rio Cangrejal, this Lodge is nicely nestled into the forest. The bar/restaurant area with its pool offers just about any kind of different seating - hammocks, wooden chairs, 2 amazing swings - and has got a great vibe. You can hang out there and relax, which was exactly what I wanted to do on my visit there.
I didn't do any of the activities, partly because for somebody working in Honduras the prices are pretty high (having said that, prices for rafting etc. are the same with any other company along the river), although you get one night's stay for free.
The camping option is a great one, costs you $10 per person per night, with a tent on a tarp-covered platform already awaiting you.
The shared bathrooms are clean and although I was there during the busiest time a year (Easter week) I never had to wait to be able to use it.
The staff are very friendly, I especially enjoyed talking to Helen and Rudi, both of them are great and exactly the type of personality you expect in a "Jungle Lodge".
About the food, I have positive and negative points to report:
in general I have to say that prices are not consistent, an extra portion of beans costs L. 25, excluding the 15% sales tax! Same thing with the anafre - the typical Honduran beans and cheese dip was the smallest I have every seen served in the whole country and was definitely not worth the L. 60 plus tax. The spaghetti have are priced fine but were very dry.
The Seafood soup and the Ginger-Tamarind shrimp, on the other hand, was very nice and definitely worth their money! Also, be sure to try one of the cheesecakes, they are made by a lady living close to the Lodge.
Finally, what made my heart beat stronger was the homemade bread! It's delicious, just like the jam in the mornings!
Overall, the location and the staff made it a great experience, which made up for the slightly "off" vibe I got from Silvia and Udo. I understand that it was a busy time, but really, as a customer you shouldn't have to get to hear this a couple of times, AND get to feel that they are stressed.

Room Tip: I was camping, which is a good option. But be aware of the sewer smell that will hit your nose witho...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We originally booked in omega for one night, to ensure that we could make the ferry crossing to utila after arriving in San Pedro, but we extended by one night as it was so incredible!

We stayed in the 'beauty view' room, which could sleep four. It's essentially a tree house with the most amazing design! Instead of windows they have big screens sealed around, giving the most incredible, uninterrupted views of the mountains and national park.

We went on a horse ride tour which was lovely, but incredibly hot! Helen and Julio took us to some lovely spots, and the horses we're well behaved.

The pool was a event size and good temperature, and the bar has a happy hour which is always good! They have wine, beer, cocktails and spirits, and serve a really good selection of well cooked food. I only eat fish and there we're plenty of veggie and fish options to choose from.

I was ill on the first night (before wasting anything I should add, no reflection on the kitchen or bar!), I think due to the incredible heat (we'd left ottawa in -15 temps and arrived to +35! In la ceiba!), and the staff offered to make me warm drinks to help, which is lovely, something that you don't normally get with larger hotels.

Very lovely place, very lovely people, great food and lots to do! If I had to be really picky I'd say that soap or shower gel should be provided to guests, but that's the only negative I could think of!

Room Tip: Beauty view room every time, you won't regret the splurge!
1  Thank yelliew
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I stayed here in late March with my son and mother. Overall, it was a great visit - originally we planned to be there for just one night but were having such a great time we ended up staying two!
We booked the Beauty View cabin. My son and I shared the queen bed on the main floor while my mom took the double bed in the loft. The cabin was awesome, better than I expected. It's rustic yet very well furnished and clean. Nice bathroom with sink, large shower, etc. Great views of Pico Bonito National Park in the distance. Also, plenty of birds chirping all night long. At first I thought this would be an annoyance and would keep me up all night but in the end it actually helped me sleep. No A/C of course but fans were provided in the room. My only complaint would be with the mattress - it definitely wasn't the most comfortable I've ever slept on.
As for the restaurant / bar it exceeded my expectations. The food and drink were reasonably priced, good quality, and pretty tasty. Beer was cold. Service was generally a bit on the slow side but I'd read this from previous reviews so I knew what to expect. It was never an issue as we weren't in a hurry.
The pool, while small, was great. It's not chlorinated but rather fed from the creek running through the property. They clean it once per week and it was very refreshing after our long hike that morning. There are several hammocks and plenty of seating around the pool area.
Finally, the entire staff was very friendly and accomodating. If/when I return to the area I'd definitely stay at Omega again.

Room Tip: The two cabins are attached - basically like a duplex. They are most upscale rooms on the property...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank KashmirLZ
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Today was our first time at Omega jungle Lodge and had a wonderful time. We went to spend a family day and had a blast with the children who enjoyed horseback riding and swimming in pool while my friends and I were hosted by owners and received excellent service. Owners are german and Mr. Udo is an expert in river rafting and has exquisite gift in culinary arts (food was delicious). Its a place were you can enjoy with family and at night have drinks with tourist from all over the world. You will be fascinated By the view of the mountains, river and forrests. Believe it or not it's just 20mins from La ceiba (3rd largest city in Honduras). I must rate this place with 5 stars you will not regret visiting and staying in their villas it's a place were nature meets comfort and delight!!! Hope you enjoy!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends