“Lovely location, lovely food and fantastic rafting”

Omega Tours Eco Jungle Lodge
Ranked #1 of 34 La Ceiba B&B and Inns
Tela, Honduras
“Lovely location, lovely food and fantastic rafting”
Reviewed 22 November 2010

I spent 2 nights there and had a really fantastic time. The location in the mountains is lovely and you are literally in the jungle. All the buildings and their facilities are tastefully designed and seem to be very eco-friendly which is nice. It really slots well into the surrounding landscape.

I did the full-day rafting and it was a really incredible experience. The morning session is really fun, complete with a break for some cliff jumping, and the rafting excellent. Some good rapids and some stunning scenery. However, if you get the chance don't miss the afternoon session where the rapids get bigger and more exciting and the scenery even more dramatic. Paddling down the lovely river with mountains of jungle rearing on each side and kingfishers and ospreys over head is an amazing experience.

The guides are brilliant and make you feel very safe (even as you are careering backwards towards as rapid) and make the trip a lot of fun.

My final word of advice is to try the Omega Breakfast. Best breakfast in years!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Antigua, Guatemala
Reviewed 6 November 2010

We stayed with Omega for one night before heading off for a 13 day trip of a life time to La Moskitia. The lodge is out of town surrounded by lush green gardens in a perfect location for white water rafting etc. There is no one that knows the area better Silvia and Udo. Having just arrived at the lodge, with only one of us having experienced rafting before, we were told right away that they were the best.... We spent two weeks with Udo and his guides and can only agree! We felt secure, experienced awesome adrenaline rushes and ate fantastic food. The rooms are good and we got a free night with the tour. For anyone looking for a challenging, memorable experience surrounded by primary rainforest and fantastic people, this trip is a must!

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank carlaandnick
Oakland, CA
Reviewed 7 October 2010

I stayed 3 nights at the Omega Lodge in the guest house, and did 2 days of activities. It was a fantastic place to stay as a solo traveler; the bar/restaurant area is full of other travelers, and even when it isn't the staff is really nice and fun to hang out with. Omega itself is gorgeous, and the guest rooms were just right. I got to take a look at the fancier cabins and they were AMAZING, highly recommended if you are a couple or a group.
One day I did the hike, lead by the fantastic Alejandro, with three other girls. It was really beautiful, we got to swim under a waterfall and learn about all the different trees in Pico Bonito park. The next day I did the rafting, which is not to be missed. The river guides were extremely professional, friendly, and fun. The food is really good (try the ginger chicken!), also.
Hands down, one of the best places I've ever stayed. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
Halifax
Reviewed 27 July 2010

We stayed at Villas Pico Bonito but booked several adventures through Omega Tours - 1/2-day whitewater rafting, kayaking in the mangrove swamp and lagoon, mountain biking. They were one of the best-organized and professional operators we have used - at least as good as any you would find in the US or Canada. They picked us up from our hotel on time every morning. They were very flexible with scheduling their tours so that we got to do everything we wanted to do - even when that meant that the two of us were the only people on the tour. A number of the guides are Hondurans (we appreciate it when a company makes use of local talent and helps develop local skills in tourism). The tours are small and friendly, with guides who are very easy to be with. The tours were surprisingly long - well worth the money - and we really appreciated having lunch included. The safety briefings were top-notch and the equipment was in good shape. We highly recommend Omega Tours. Although we didn't stay on-site, we enjoyed the restaurant and thought the surroundings were very nice. Thanks to Jethro, Brian, and Roca - they were excellent guides.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IntentToTravel
Chelsea, Canada
Reviewed 14 July 2010

We stayed only for a couple of nights on our way out from Utila. The Omega Jungle Lodge sent a cab to meet us at the ferry docks, making our transit to their place trouble-free. The owners were welcoming and always on top of our various requests. The jungle hike we participated in was intimate and enjoyable, if not hard work (as it should be) and we benefited from both our guide's knowledge and our translator's ability to communicate it to us.

The food is good at their restaurant, providing a mix of local and german fare.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank mango_clan
College Station, Texas
Reviewed 5 July 2010

This company is very well organized; on time with pick ups/ drop off, tour starts, etc... We were very impressed with the emphasis on safety for the rafting trips. I have to admit that I was shaking in my boots at the thought of White Water Rafting, the guides put me at ease before we even tried on the gear. The setting is great for roaming in nature with a camera. Highly recommended for big groups.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 31 May 2010

I followed a business trip to Tegucigalpa with a three day getaway at the Omega Jungle Lodge, and am extremely happy that I did. It was exactly the combination of nature and adventure I was looking for, without spending a lot of money or wasting time in transit. I took three half-day excursions: white water rafting, kayaking in the Cacao Lagoon, and horseback riding in nearby mountain villages. After the excursions there was plenty of time for hiking on the property, reading in a hammock, and swimming in the lodge’s spring-fed pool. Evenings were very laid back – great dinners (try the fish in coconut sauce or the shrimp with garlic), the best beer I found anywhere in Honduras, and interesting conversations with an eclectic group of international and local staff and colorful neighbors and guests. I was traveling alone, but I felt like I was always in excellent company and very safe – even when I was jumping off a rock ledge into the river far below me. I highly recommend the Omega Jungle Lodge, and hope to return soon.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo