“Amazing views and service at La Delphina”

La Delphina Bed and Breakfast, Bar and Grill
Ranked #7 of 34 La Ceiba B&B and Inns
Houston, Texas, United States
“Amazing views and service at La Delphina”
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Richard and Kelly were absolutely superb!! With less than 24 hours notice they were able to put together an amazing beach front wedding for my father and is new wife. They were able to have decorations, flowers, a delicious cake, and even a DJ with such short notice. Kelly even had a hair stylist come to the hotel to help my stepmother get ready. My personal favorite part was the food. Richard is a grill master, and the girls in the kitchen made the best ceviche I have ever had. When traveling sometimes it is hard to find what exactly you are looking for whether it be activities, food, or even just time to relax. At La Delphina, everything you could need or want can be handled. Although you are guests at a bed and breakfast it feels more like being in someone's home...I cannot wait to go back!!!

Room Tip: You will not be disappointed by any means staying here.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Delaney B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Half Moon Bay, California
Reviewed 4 May 2012

I just got back from an 8 day vacation in Honduras. Because of a review I read on TripAdvisor I decided to book my stay at a B&B called La Delphina outside of La Ceiba Honduras, just a ferry ride away from Roatan Island. And was I glad I did!! Richard, the owner, and his girlfriend, Kelly, are the nicest people ever and they and their staff went out of their way to make sure my stay was absolutely perfect. The B&B has 6 spotlessly clean rooms with ensuite bathrooms and tv and balcony. The place has a lovely clean pool and is right on the ocean, so I could swim in the ocean and come back and lay by the pool. The food was spectacular and since I'm a vegetarian they did whatever they could to make me great meals. Everything is fresh and well prepared. Richard is the kindest man and opens his pool area and restaurant to the locals in the community every weekend so it was fun to see the kids having such a great time in the pool and the adults dancing and of course drinking. Kelly is so sweet - she taught me Spanish and I helped her with her English and we spent a great day shopping at the mercado in La Ceiba.
If you're looking for an exceptionally clean, out of the way quiet place to stay with friendly people and great service this is the place to go. If you're looking for tourist activities go to Roatan. La Delphina is secluded and there's not much to do there except relax, swim in the ocean or pool and enjoy yourself. If you want to go to the zipline closeby or white water rafting, Richard will drive you there. And you can take a boat to another island for snorkeling, and the ferry (1 1/2 hours - be sure to ask for the free sea sickness pill if the ocean is rough that day!!!)
to Roatan, which was much too touristy for me.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Robertag60
Breckenridge, Colorado
Reviewed 17 March 2012

I returned again to La Delphina and this time brought 4 of my friends. We stayed a total of 4 nights both before and after going to Utila for a week. Once again Richard took excellent care of us. The rooms are even nicer this year with the addition of flat screen TVs and very pretty and comfy new bedspreads in each room. Richard took us to and from the ferry, airport, and all around La Ceiba. He even took us to his bank so we could get the best currency exchange rate. We played in his pool and on the beach right off the deck. Food was delicious and drinks were generous. When you go, give his two adorable puppies a big hug! Richard, thand for everything! Terese

Room Tip: Rooms 1 and 2 are the best as they are closest to the beach with great views.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Honduras
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I am a business owner living in the Bay Islands and recently treated myself to a getaway to the mainland for some much needed R&R. La Delphina came at the recommendation of an island friend so wet met there along with some of her friends visiting from the States. The rooms at La Delphina were perfectly adequate, nothing fancy, but clean and safe and with a/c. The drive from busy La Ceiba to the Sambo Creek area is lush with farm land, colorful flowers and green, green landscape. I felt myself literally breathe out as we headed towards this oasis. Our small group pretty much took over the restaurant bar for the evening and I enjoyed my time immensely sharing stories with Richard (the owner). He's a trip and quite the personality. He and his girlfriend (a very bright Honduran business woman) arranged our dinner to be served on the back deck which sits directly on the beach. The dinner was fabulous and more than any of us could eat. The night ended with some cocktails by the sea while listening to the waves break and rockin' in our comfy rocking chairs. I will be back, I now have my perfect "country" spot.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Our stay at La Delphina was a pleasure. Richard (the owner) is very personable and does his best to ensure his guests have a great experience. Please note, though, that this small B&B is actually 35-45 minutes outside of town, so be sure to call Richard when you get to town so he can pick you up. The cab drivers will rip you off! (Ours tried to charge us $80 for the ride. Ridiculous!!!) This resort is comfortable and clean, and is situated on a lovely beach. The only downside is that you are quite isolated once you arrive, leaving you with very few dining/drinking options. The B&B does offer a full menu, but the food was overpriced for the quality. That being said, this is one of the better places to stay in La Ceiba, and I would definitely stay here again if I find myself on the north shore of Honduras.

Room Tip: This is a really small B&B with only 6 rooms, so I don't think you can go wrong with any of...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stacey S
main5878, Owner at La Delphina Bed and Breakfast, Bar and Grill, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Thank you for the positive review of my Bed and Breakfast, La Delphina Bar and Grill
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay, as you know the beaches in the center of town are not as pleasant for swimming nor viewing.
La Delphina is located out of the center of town only about 15 to 20 min drive
Am only happy to transport my guests to and from the locations that they need to go we have a bus
I Agree –taxi rides are too expensive and some taxi driver will rip you off knowing that you not from Honduras, that’s why I give my guests transportation.
My clients tell me that my menu is very, very good and that my prices are the same as other restaurants near mine and quality all our food is fresh and is cooked to order
At La Delphina, we pride ourselves in assuring our guests are well cared for with great service, great food and very comfortable and very clean establishment.
My clients have mot expressed feeling of isolation –being 15 to 20 from the center of town in fact they enjoy the quiet and relaxation and the beautiful beaches that we offer.
We will be happy to have you back as gust
San Dimas, California
Reviewed 17 January 2012

My girlfriend and I choose to go to Roatan last June. After researching the island, we decided that we wanted to hit the mainland. After doing some research online, i discovered that we could take the Roatan Galaxy Wave to La Ceiba. While doing hotel research, i found La Delphina. My mind was instantly put at ease when i discovered Richard was a cop in Boston. After booking my reservation, i emailed Richard (please email him, he likes it). We emailed back and forth for a few months and he even called me in the states. He agreed to pick us up at the Galaxy Wave and he even took us to the airport at 4am when we left. The property is really cool as Richard literally has built it from scratch. He had his own bar and everything a hotel needed. Kelly his girlfriend does the cooking and it was very good! The rooms are big and are kept very clean by his maids. Richard took us on a tour of the town for $15 a person to see the city and Pico Bonito and even paid for our Hot Springs experience. Richard is a great guy and works hard to make sure you enjoy your stay. I would recommend his hotel and would definately stay there again!

Room Tip: Americans, Canadians, and Euros... Please realize this is Honduras.. The hotels are not the same fro...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Toronto ON Canada
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Having been on several Carribean trips, I find it is the local people and sights that make it successful, not the extent to which the hotel ressembles a big city Hilton! Our group stayed at Palma Real but spent our time at La Delphine with its owner and gracious host, Richard Beckett . This wonderful oasis can be found about 500 meters down the beach from Palma Real. Signage is inadequate so Richard came out onto the beach to invite us into his compound with poolside bar. There this ex-Bostonian regaled us for hours with excellent conversation, drink and food. The next day, he and girlfriend Kelly took four of us on a full-day tour - anywhere we wanted to go - for just $15 each. We started at Sambo Creek, a small fishing village nearby. We then went up the mountain to the Jungle School where we met the teachers and many of the 63 young students. We then visitied a couple of upscale B&B high up the mountain, meeting the owners and having drinks at one and lunch at the other.
On the way down, we stopped at the Cloud Forest and crossed the river gorge via swinging bridge. We then went to the main mall in La Ceiba (which I don't recommend - too American). Richard and Kelly took us to a local stall market where we enjoyed bartering for souvenirs. Finally, Richard took us to his local wholesale outlet where we could purchase cheap rum, coffee and other supplies.
Richard can take you 26 km over to Cayos Cochinos, a group of 15 islands where you can snorkel and scuba, as well as dine on fresh fish in a native village. This is a great trip and Richard charges less than the $50 from Palma Real.
One of the best outings for us was to the Canopy Tour - a long zipline down a volcanic mountain with 16 legs, varying from 100 - 500 meters each. This is more athletic than most tourist attractions. One of our party didn't stop in time and hit a terminal tree at about 20 mph. She received a good concussion and was restricted to bed for two days. A week later and she still sports quite a shiner!
In conclusion - Palma Real is a good home base but I wouldn't want to stick around. They seem more interested in selling new villas than in servicing paying guests. The countryside around La Ceiba is worth the trip - and do yourself a favour - get Richard to take you around!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple