“Pretty much have everything right”

Hotel Casa de Espana
Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in La Ceiba
Traveling
“Pretty much have everything right”
Reviewed 22 May 2013

I spent the better part of a week at Casa de Espana, in May 2013.

I loved the hotel. The rooftop terrace is a great place to lounge, with great views, and truly excellent food provided by the owners (breakfast was included; lunch and dinner were available). My breakfasts were uniformly filling and excellent. The coffee was wonderful.

I had one dinner there, on my last night. While certainly not cheap, it probably cost me no more than going out for similar quality food would have cost, and ... I didn't have to go out :-)

I didn't fall in love with La Ceiba. Just ... not for me. It happens.

Which made a nice place to stay just THAT much more important to me. Carlo and his wife were genial, hospitable, helpful, and gracious. Their employees were equally friendly, helpful, cheerful, and competent at everything they did.

My bed was comfy. The a/c blew ice cold air. The room was kept spotlessly clean.

The location is great, if you like being off the Central Square in this kind of town.

If I were staying in La Ceiba again, I /might/ consider staying closer to the South end of town, as the center really /can/ be a little dodgy, but ... if I were going to stay near the center, I'd definitely return to Hotel de Espana.

Room Tip: I chose to stay one room OFF the street it fronts, to ensure it would be quiet. It was.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Roatan, Honduras
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I go to La Ceiba every month for business from the island of Roatan. So why would I want to spend a lot of money, when I am hardly in my room. I don't need a pool or a business centre. There are a few hotels for $80-$100 in Ceiba, but I don't want to spend that kind of money in La Ceiba. I have stayed in numerous hotels, and been disappointed about one thing or another, that never got addressed, even after speaking to the managers.
This time, I patronized HOTEL CASA DE ESPANA, and have decided to go back again. Why?

Details and Smiles.

There is nothing better than seeing the owner Jennifer, with a big smile on her face...always. Carlos (her husbad) was away, so I am sure we'll meet him on our next trip.
The rooms are painted with new colors and are matched to the furniture in the rooms (a women's touch fer sure). While some of the rooms are small, can anyone complain about a clean, beautiful room for $40 a night for two people?
The hallways are full of small seating áreas and lots of art and photos on the walls. Lots of plants too.
The 4th floor terrace and restaurant is the icing on the cake, and when you get up there, you forget that you are right downtown. The breeze is excellent, the furniture warm and romantic.

There is always room for improvement. I spoke to Jennifer about making sure to have a room with King size bed and a newer TV.. She promised it to me for my next trip. Not all of us are backpackers looking only for a cheap price and a clean room. But when you talk to an owner and she promises more for my next trip, well, I am impressed.
Hotel Casa de Espana deserves your business.
I will be back, especially to try husband Carlos' famous culinary skills.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Murray R
Moreno Valley, California
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Thankfully a taxi driver recommend this place to us. And we are thrilled he did. We arrived around 9pm the owner Carlos attended to us right away. We were going to stay 1 night we had to leave for a flight the next morning.
Rooms very comfortable and clean.
He personally took us to the airport the next morning very early. Unfortunately we missed our flight. No more flights to where we needed to go till the next morning.
We were very unhappy. But Carlos suggested that we take a day trip to Callos Cochinos. We are glad we did. He drove us to where we could take a private boat. (nothing fancy) but we're able to enjoy a total of 14 islands and have lunch included. These islands are like something you see in the movies or tv. Some small and a couple larger. Beautiful surroundings friendly people on the ones that had people.
When we were done Carlos was there to take us back to the hotel. Met his wife also very lovely person.
He took us back to the airport the next morning.
As far as we are concerned he went out of his way to make our stay and trip a memorable one!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LorenaGus
Reviewed 14 March 2013 via mobile

I had my relatives stay here for a family reunion and they all left happy! Beautiful terrace restaurant on fourth floor! Would definitely use this hotel again. They also hve rooms with special prices for backpackers!!

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Luis A
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 26 January 2013

Spent 4 nights here, as soon as I walked in the staff was very friendly and helpful. I like the fact that it is conveniently located in La Ceiba, a short walking distance from everything. I will not suggest walking alone at night, it's best to ask the receptionist to call a taxicab. Beautifully decorated and cosy. One drawback wifi connection did not work well but overall a comfortable stay away from home. My overall rating is "very good", there is always room for improvement.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank PerezM840
London
Reviewed 18 May 2011

When we turned up we were pleased with the room, especially as a good value hotel room is hard to find in La Ceiba. We haggled a little on the price and agreed on $35 for one night in a double. The woman on reception didn't have change and said she would give it to us later. We had had a very long journey and I had been ill as well so maybe we were't on the ball but we stupidly didn't ask for a receipt. When we left for food that evening the staff was different and then again in the morning there was a different man on reception. We told him we still need change and which point he added 16% tax on top of our bill and wouldn't take no for an answer, even though we said the woman we agreed a price with had told us $35 and no more. Even thought its not a huge amount we were so annoyed as it feels like being robbed when people rip you off. This man was loud and rude and gave us such a bad impression of the hotel.
Apart from that the room was clean, comfortable, spacious with working AC and cable TV, very adequate for 1 night. Breakfast was not included, we were told to help ourselves to coffee but there wasn't any to help ourselves to.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
14 Thank deckchair26
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 24 March 2011

With a convenient location, the staff was extremely friendly and bilingual, reasonable price, and very clean

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business