“Probably won't go back”

and 1 more site!
Hotel La Aurora
Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in La Ceiba
Reviewed 14 June 2012

While I enjoyed my first two-night stay at La Aurora reasonably well, after trying to make a second reservation, I probably won't go back. I stayed in room 301, which is the only room with a terrace. There isn't much of a view since it faces a busy intersection on the main road into La Ceiba center, but is a nice spot to have a beer as the evening cools the heat of the day. The room was clean and comfortable with a king-size bed. There were no menus in the room, so I had to go to the restaurant to order room service. The service charge on my final bill was more than the 10% printed on the menu. The seafood pasta was passable, not the greatest, but it was food. I was also disappointed that the beer I ordered with my meal had to be paid for separately from my food -- didn't make much sense. I stayed for two nights and was only given a breakfast ticket for one day. This actually worked out fine because I found the breakfast disappointing. You have the choice of juice OR coffee and God help you if you try to have both, especially since the juice has so much sugar it will send you into diabetic shock.

The staff was very unhelpful when asked basic questions about location of places and dining recommendations. That said, when I tried to make a second reservation, I asked for the same room and the same rate I had just one month prior. I was shocked when the price went up without explanation, but also an unwillingness to negotiate to keep a repeat customer. Honduras is not know for its customer-friendly culture, but I found it really offensive how I was treated in my conversation with the staff member. I am bilingual and language and culture was not at all an issue. It is a simple matter of poor business sense. There are better options and better values to be found in La Ceiba.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Sarava70

Reviewed 4 March 2012

Me and my family went last year, It has a lonely pool which is GREAT for privacy reasons, bedrooms AMAZING they have a big PLASMA TV,hot water, fancy little details that make the BIG difference, A telescope, FREE BREAKFAST (not the best breakfast but It will do) of course the other meals they serve at their restaurant is AMAZING, I can still feel that amazing taste, the place is amazing location because it is super close to mall, you can go walking, BUT the noise it makes from the street can be like an alarm clock, and that is it is pretty much PERFECT. But it is not really perfect every hotel has disadvantages.
Pretty good internet.

Room Tip: When you go make sure to pack some EARPLUGS for sleeping, great if you pick a room on bottom so you...
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Alice713
Reviewed 6 December 2011

No Hot Water at night - They turn off the hot water at 10pm. They'll turn it back on if you ask, but it takes 1/2 hour to warm up, but it never got hot for us.

Noisy - This hotel sits right on the highway so you will hear every truck, bus and honking taxi on the road..

Unclean - Our room looked nice and clean until we found a cock roach. When we told management they said, "We took care of that problem 2 months ago." Apparently not.

Toilet didn't function - We had to lift the lid on the back of the toilet to manually trigger the toilet so that it would flush. Ridiculous

Dark - Half of the lights were turned off so it felt like a haunted mansion. It is the low season so they must be struggling, but no lights, c'mon! That's acceptable at a cheap hostel but not for $100/night in Honduras.

Dishonest - When we complained about our experience to the manager at check out she said there was nothing they could do to refund us because they had already swiped the card for the amount at check in.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank bridgeportnative
Reviewed 22 February 2011

My husband and I stayed here one night on our way to San Pedro Sula as we returned from a mission trip in Bonito. At first I felt that I was paying a bit more than I normally would. However, the room was excellent, the service even better. In addition, they provide free transportation in their van. The cost also included a free deluxe, sit-down, linen breakfast with a waiter that was bilingual and was so willing to meet one's every need. My husband said he would definitely return. By the way, the mall and movies was a short walk away.

Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank liveoak_traveler
Reviewed 16 June 2009

First of all the front desk receptionist was very unprofessional and disrespectful she had no regards or remorse for anyone. The hotel is quite deplorable the a/c in the room is very old and there is no water or soap in the bathrooms No cold water and for almost 50.00 US a night its basically a waste of time and I would never return to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 February 2009

Great place to stay, shared kitchen and awesome common areas with plenty of couches, tables and hammocks. Rooms on the ground floor all seemed to have a musty, moldy smell, that being our room and other travelers we talked to. Perhaps the upstairs rooms are better in that department.

However, avoid room #4 if booking ahead!!!

Room #4 is on the ground level ($40 a night) and two nights in a row we had water from the above room leak through the floor and down into our room. The first time it puddled in the middle of the floor, which we shrugged off, but the second night it leaked all over my wifes luggage, which I don't need to go into detail of how pissed she was.

Also room #4 is the closest room to the kitchen, right beside to be exact, so not the best room if you like to sleep-in, since the kitchen opens at 8:00am with the sounds of crashing pots and pans and voices chuckling about.

I should mention that we don't usually like to be complainers, so we didn't change rooms and the other last few nights we stayed we never had the leaking water troubles again. Maybe the person above was just a slob in the washroom, getting water all over the old wooden floors which have plenty of cracks and gaps.

Anyways, like I said, great place to stay, my advive is to try and get a room upstairs.

PURA VIDA!!!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LPCarrier
Reviewed 22 January 2009

I called this property after seeing their flyer in the tourist office in La Ceiba, which advertised $35/night. I asked if that was the rate, they quoted me a rate in lempiras, and I said, so $35, right? They said yes, then charged me the equivalent of $50 when I got there. I argued, the staff was unpleasant, but a manager was called in and gave me the room for $40 or so. Irritating.

The hotel is rather dated, and not terribly well maintained, but the room was clean and spacious. There is a rooftop pool, but it was cold and rainy, so we didn't try it out.

All in all, I'd consider staying here again if I was looking for something spacious and near the highway/mall. I took at look at the rooms in Hotel Versalles, near the beach in the Zona Viva, and they were probably a better deal - spacious, US$40/night, and the place has a pool.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)